About her mother...(spoilers)

Sherry's journey across Europe

Topic author
Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I see your point but I don't agree completely... Wasn't Cherrys mother as lost as her in a way? She had Cherry when she was very young and all that.

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 13, 2009 9:56 am

The only thing to me that was unrealistic was the bizarre dance sequence on the roadside. That really didn't seem to make any sense at all. I'm not even sure it was actually supposed to.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

Topic author
Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:The only thing to me that was unrealistic was the bizarre dance sequence on the roadside. That really didn't seem to make any sense at all. I'm not even sure it was actually supposed to.
Maybe they used to do that dance some time ago when they used to get along, so doing the dance was a way for them to connect to eachother and bring back good memories?

Or maybe I'm overthinking it? :sassy:

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Apr 17, 2009 1:57 am

Leif wrote:Maybe they used to do that dance some time ago when they used to get along, so doing the dance was a way for them to connect to eachother and bring back good memories?

Nah, I don't think you're over analysing it. That was what I thought as well. It is a little strange as there isn't a reference to it at all but it's obvious its something they've done before. It shows that at some stage they were pretty close.
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Apr 17, 2009 5:33 am

My take on her actions is this:

I believe she just loved her daughter so much and wanted to be with her that she was willing to do anything just to please Cherry and gain her acceptance / respect back. The only hole I really see though, is when Cherry escapes and her mother stays behind. Perhaps originally she sold her house and joined up due to my initial thoughts, but then eventually got consumed by the idea of the cult and that's why she refused to leave.

Yeah, I'll go with that. :p
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 17, 2009 6:40 am

Lori wrote:
Leif wrote:Maybe they used to do that dance some time ago when they used to get along, so doing the dance was a way for them to connect to eachother and bring back good memories?

Nah, I don't think you're over analysing it. That was what I thought as well. It is a little strange as there isn't a reference to it at all but it's obvious its something they've done before. It shows that at some stage they were pretty close.
So you don't think it's in there because the director is also a dance choreographer, and she just threw it in for the sake of her own self-indulgence? ;-)

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Apr 17, 2009 6:45 am

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:So you don't think it's in there because the director is also a dance choreographer, and she just threw it in for the sake of her own self-indulgence? ;-)
Oh no, I totally think that was it - the other explanation was just an afterthought :laugh: :biggrin:

And isn't it Sherry - not Cherry? :wink:

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Apr 17, 2009 7:34 am

Carlo Von Sexron wrote: So you don't think it's in there because the director is also a dance choreographer, and she just threw it in for the sake of her own self-indulgence? ;-)
There may be some inspiration in what Leif said, but really I believe you are correct. There are several dance sequences in the movie, sometimes between characters, sometimes between characters and the camera. I quite like it in the context of this movie, it adds some lighthearted elements to what is otherwise a pretty heavy film.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Apr 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Lori wrote:
And isn't it Sherry - not Cherry? :wink:
Quit yer nit-pickin'. Cherry sounds cooler. :p
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Apr 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Seriously, wouldn't you rather be named after a fruit than an old woman's drink?
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 18, 2009 9:05 am

LostPilgrim wrote:Seriously, wouldn't you rather be named after a fruit than an old woman's drink?
Haha, that's a choice I'm very glad I don't have to make.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Apr 18, 2009 10:55 am

Ahhh, one could be the other so I don't think it matters... Other than the fact that her name is actually Sherry :laugh: :sassy:

Chelsea
Whip It Extra
Whip It Extra

Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm

I think I read somewhere that a lot of the film was inspired by the director's life... so it would make sense to have random dance scenes in it, if it's how she expresses herself in real life, as dancers often do. Just my 2 cents :)

Also, I think you can kind of see the mom's sanity slowly fade away throughout the movie - and she was kind of unstable to begin with.
What if I wasn't Christian right now? That'd be awkward. ... Could you imagine if I was like, hm. I celebrate Ka-wanza.

It's so funny when people try to label me a cool, indie girl. No, I’m pretty sure I was in a movie called I Downloaded a Ghost.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Apr 22, 2009 2:22 am

It's not that unbelievable. Just look around at the world...