Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Looks like it may be a while before we see this film :disappointed:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... animated_#
Screenings have started for Michel Gondry’s first big tentpole studio film, “The Green Hornet,” and the early reactions on Twitter have been positive. Certainly, it seems to indicate that reports of Sony‘s pleasure with the film were on the money and if the early word continues to build in the same direction, it would be a remarkable turnaround for a film that only a few months ago had most movie sites ringings its death knell. So with that film gearing up for release next month, Gondry is already looking to what’s next and he’s certainly not short on options. The animated project “Megalomania” and ambitious musical project “The Return Of The Ice Kids” with Ellen Page attached have been in the works for a while, but it’s another long-gestating project that will go first.

“I am working on a new drama which we’re going to shoot next summer, which follows 35 kids going to school on a bus. It’s about how the group affects the individual. I’d written 25 versions of the screenplay and then we found this after-school activity center in the South Bronx and did a workshop there. Basically we talked to the kids and used their stories,” Gondry told Time Out London. The project is called “The We & The I,” and it’s one he’s been talking about for a while now. When we spoke with Gondry last spring he revealed the project to us and said it was borne out of meetings with the publishers of “You’ll Like This Film Because You’re In It: The Be Kind Rewind Protocol,” which is about community filmmaking, inspired by Gondry’s film.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Dec 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for bringing this up and posting the article, Jim. It sounds like an interesting project and Michel Gondry is without a doubt a fantastic director, but it's a bummer that almost nothing is set in stone yet. Especially since we know what can happen if a project doesn't get the green light in the course of time ("Jack & Diane", "Jane Eyre") :rolleyes:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Dec 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Mmm, I'm pretty sure Ellen would hang on to this one though, especially since she's voiced her opinion on the greatness of Michel Gondry quite a few times. It's the "musical" bit which is new to me. Ellen singing again :D
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 09, 2010 1:43 am

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Mmm, I'm pretty sure Ellen would hang on to this one though, especially since she's voiced her opinion on the greatness of Michel Gondry quite a few times. It's the "musical" bit which is new to me. Ellen singing again :D
I don't think it's so much a question of Ellen's attachment to it, although that could be a concern over time too, but more that the idea may never come to fruition. I do think it would be very interesting though, Ellen actually has a very nice singing voice, the only question I have is how well she can handle a musical, as opposed to something like Juno where she sings one song.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Dec 12, 2010 1:38 am

I believe the key will be in the success of The Green Hornet. If it bombs, I doubt anybody will be willing to fund his 'ambitious' project. Also, I read in the new Empire that Gondry has set up the plot to The We An I and it all seems to take place on a school bus.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.