Possible Project - Gearhead

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

Topic author
patti_cake

Nov 20, 2008 4:15 am

Yet another producer who wants Ellen to star in her film:

Link here: http://www.cinematical.com/2008/11/19/g ... /#comments

Gale Anne Hurd is a 'Gearhead' for Valhalla Films

Since I started this crazy Cinematical gig, Gale Anne Hurd has become one of my heroes. She digs comic books, and she digs badass chicks, and she's often behind a movie that combines the two. And this project is no exception. According to Variety, she's has optioned Gearhead, Dennis Hopeless' four issue series from Arcana Comics.

Gearhead is the story of Shelby Cooper, a chick who disdains the electric cars and PC-living of a United States set in a fascist and post-apocalyptic future. She's the daughter of Gearhead, a vigilante hero who lacked superpowers, but fought crime with a giant wrench. Though she's more into racing and repairing her illegal gas guzzling car, she find herself taking on her father's vigilante persona in order to find her missing brother. All four issues are up on Wowio -- I've only read the first so far, but it seems like a lot of fun. Plus, Shelby owns a pug dog, which endears her to me even more than her skull-splitting ways.

Hurd is a self-avowed fan of the book, and told UGO last month that she thinks Ellen Page would be great in the title role. The dialogue certainly has that Page level of snark to it -- and it would be pretty fun to see her mouth off while bloodying someone up. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the series, and looking forward to seeing Hurd bring another tough chick to the screen. Someone has to do it!

Sounds like another kick-ass role! Don't want Ellen to be typecasted as the "princess of snark" tho. ;) There are people who are also clamoring to have her cast as Harley Quinn in the next Batman movie.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 20, 2008 6:15 am

Cool article...thanks for posting :super:

A Batman movie? Now that would be so cool 8-)

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 20, 2008 8:23 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:
A Batman movie? Now that would be so cool 8-)
Batman + EP = me being able to die happy. I doubt it would happen, let alone Harley Quinn even being in the 3rd Batman movie...
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

crazy burgers
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 20, 2008 3:08 pm

There arwe quite a few kick ass comic book characters Ellen seems to be suggested for, however seeing as she already did a graphic novel and even then had to be swayed, I think it'll be awhile to see her portray another character from that world, unless its pretty epic to her.

As for the Quinn bit, this picture was online, nicely photoshopped:

http://throwingchicken.com/offsite/ellenquinn.jpg

Cool.
Even as a member of the walking dead, I was not yet forsaken.

thereoncewasabug
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Oooh, this sounds like a cool role for Ellen!
crazy burgers wrote:As for the Quinn bit, this picture was online, nicely photoshopped:

http://throwingchicken.com/offsite/ellenquinn.jpg

Cool.
haha that's awesome! :lol2: :haha: Does he have a page where he links to it? I couldn't find anything in his portfolio about it.

Domink, you have to contact that guy about putting that in the fanarts page! :stunned:
http://throwingchicken.com/portfoliosite-html/home.html
-"The things you do wrong, they haunt you." "Nah, I mean I'm already pregnant, so what other shenanigans could I get into?"
-"When is it acceptable to use our power and when do we cross that invisible line that turns us into tyrants over our fellow man?" "Silencio, old man!"

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 23, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks for posting Patti :D That sounds a bit of alright I reckon :wink: Mouthing off whilst kicking butt?! Awesome!
patti_cake wrote:Though she's more into racing and repairing her illegal gas guzzling car,
I find this amusing considering Ellen doesn't really drive :laugh:

Batman sounds like a good one too! Although, how many super hero roles can one actor play? :laugh:

And that pic is really well done - quite spooky really... Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Coolguy19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 24, 2008 4:56 am

This sounds really interesting and seeing how I love comic book movies expecially Batman, I think it would be awesome if Ellen got involved in a project like this. I've never heard of Gearhead before, but the description of the story sounds interesting and the character for Ellen to portray. Maybe a bigger role than what she had for X-Men 3.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 25, 2008 3:34 pm

patti_cake wrote:There are people who are also clamoring to have her cast as Harley Quinn in the next Batman movie.
Please don't believe these people on IMDb :laughatsomeone: :whispering: :sneer:
thereoncewasabug wrote:Domink, you have to contact that guy about putting that in the fanarts page! :stunned:
http://throwingchicken.com/portfoliosite-html/home.html
Hmmm, I think I've seen this image before :) But I will try to get permission to use it.
Also here is a new article concerning this project, which was released yesterday:

Gearhead Casting Buzz
Which X-Man is a rumored contender to star?
by Jim Vejvoda

November 24, 2008 - Just days after it was announced that Punisher: War Zone producer Gale Anne Hurd would produce a big screen version of the Arcana comic book Gearhead comes word of who she would like to see star in the film.

Gearhead writer Dennis Hopeless and artist Kevin Mellon informed MTV that Hurd suggested Juno and Hard Candy star Ellen Page would be good for the movie. Page is no stranger to comic book films, having previously portrayed Kitty Pryde, a.k.a. Shadowcat, in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Mellon said he "designed Shelby as an amalgam of a couple of different Hollywood actresses and a few women I've known in my life, and Ellen has a lot of all of their qualities in spades. ... If I'd seen Hard Candy before working on Gearhead, I'd probably have modeled Shelby more on Ellen to begin with."

In Gearhead, a young woman teams up with a group of rebels to fight the corrupt superheroes who govern the United States. She must rise to the challenge of her destiny and become Gearhead.

Source: movies.ign.com
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm

That's a pretty interesting little article. Thanks for posting that, Dominik. :)
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Nice article :thumbsup: Sounds like it would suit Ellen perfectly :agreeing:

PS Way to knock IMDb :haha:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 26, 2008 2:00 am

Thanks for posting Dominik :D I actually just read that article before reading this one :thumbsup: Always one step ahead :wink:
Dominik wrote:If I'd seen Hard Candy before working on Gearhead, I'd probably have modeled Shelby more on Ellen to begin with."
If anyone ever wants to cast a badarse, it's pretty hard to pass up Ms Page after seeing HC :agreeing:
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 26, 2008 5:42 am

Lori wrote:Thanks for posting Dominik :D I actually just read that article before reading this one :thumbsup: Always one step ahead :wink:
Dominik wrote:If I'd seen Hard Candy before working on Gearhead, I'd probably have modeled Shelby more on Ellen to begin with."
If anyone ever wants to cast a badarse, it's pretty hard to pass up Ms Page after seeing HC :agreeing:
================================

:agreeing: Oh yeah...Ms Page can play them badarse roles....would love to see her in a movie where she just kicks numerous arse

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 27, 2008 1:58 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote: :agreeing: Oh yeah...Ms Page can play them badarse roles....would love to see her in a movie where she just kicks numerous arse
:haha: Yeah that would be totally badarse.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."