Vanishing of the Bees

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

May 13, 2011 10:53 am

I'm with you on that one Dominik, but I'm old too. I have one to two cell conversations a week and send/receive half a dozen text messages. Finding a solution will be challenging at best, I have no idea what if anything they might do. I wonder if switching to a different set of frequencies would do the trick? Are bees only sensitive to microwaves in a certain wavelength range? That's got to be the next step in the research process because, as you said, "The majority of people, especially the younger generation, won't be willing to abandon being reachable at any time and get rid of their cell phones from one day to the next."
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 13, 2011 11:59 am

bluetoes591 wrote:I wonder if switching to a different set of frequencies would do the trick? Are bees only sensitive to microwaves in a certain wavelength range?
Actually, I was wondering that too. Maybe it would be an idea to go back to the good, old times of amateur radio. But again, I don't think a solution can be found without changing or modifying the hardware (the cell phones) and that is a real challenge as things are now.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Dominik wrote:...... Furthermore, I doubt big companies like Nokia, Sony or Motorola will join a "save the bees to save the planet"-movement, reconsider their policies and push the development of alternative methods of communication. :uhoh:
Well on the positive side, IF any cell phone corp can solve this problem by hardware or communication protocol changes it could give that company a definite marketing advantage over the others and encourage their research. In a perfect world governments would move to ban cell phones until they are modified to do no harm to bees but we don't yet live in that kind of Utopia.
bluetoes591 wrote:...... Are bees only sensitive to microwaves in a certain wavelength range? That's got to be the next step in the research process because, as you said, "The majority of people, especially the younger generation, won't be willing to abandon being reachable at any time and get rid of their cell phones from one day to the next."
One easy thing for beekeepers to try could be to shield the hives from RF radiation using aluminum foil or a grounded wire mesh. That would be an easy first step.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 14, 2011 10:42 pm

I wouldn't be so fast in believing those claims about cell phones and bees. One segment of the VoB documentary basically discredited cell phones. It's not surprising that cell phones can cause some harm to bees, but to say that they are the primary cause of disappearing bees is tenuous at best.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 16, 2011 8:55 am

Ellen Page talks about "Vanishing of the Bees"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9755v261uhQ

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

May 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Glee Plane wrote:I wouldn't be so fast in believing those claims about cell phones and bees. One segment of the VoB documentary basically discredited cell phones. It's not surprising that cell phones can cause some harm to bees, but to say that they are the primary cause of disappearing bees is tenuous at best.
After watching the documentary I was under the impression that they suspected / identified new types of fertilizer that were already "found" as the cause for CCD in france. Didn't they?
bluetoes591 wrote:I wonder if switching to a different set of frequencies would do the trick?
I'm afraid not. Shorter wavelengths have a shorter range and / or require higher transmission power which would make things worse. And longer wavelengths require larger antennas. That brings up memories of the good old C-Netz phones (that's what they were called in germany) which required even a shoulder strap.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 17, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks for posting the promo, Dom. Hope Ellen and the VotB producers have a great turnout on Sunday...and get a lot of media attention.

As for cell phones harming bees....it is possible. Though, before cell phones became popular....we still had a lot of microwave emission going on...especially from TV.

Years ago, before satellites were used for transmission, the TV networks in the USA sent their network feeds thru a massive network of microwave relays throughout the US....every 20 or 30 miles or so a microwave relay was in place to send and boost TV feeds.

TV uses quite a bit of space on the electromagnetic spectrum....for example....the entire FM radio band is contained between Channel 6 and Channel 7 TV channels on over-the-air TV. Cell Phones and other non-commercial communications are usually reserved for Channel 1 in the TV band (why your older TVs do not have a Channel 1 on them)

In all...something else I believe is harming the bees. If it was just merely cell phones....I think the bees would have been disappearing 50 or 55 years ago (when microwave signals were heavily used)

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 24, 2011 10:04 am

I guess it was a bad idea to quote the article from inhabitat.com regarding Daniel Favre's study the other day. It turned out his results are very questionable for various reasons. For example, he wrote that he worked as a "Scientific collaborator in the Laboratory of Cellular Biotechnology (LBTC), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland." A representative from this institute recently stated to press that Favre only worked there for 4 months and they don't perform tests involving bees at all. Furthermore, Favre always / only used two GSM900 cell phones for his 80 tests. This standard uses 890–915 MHz to send information from the mobile station to the base station (uplink) and 935–960 MHz for the other direction (downlink), providing 124 RF channels (channel numbers 1 to 124) spaced at 200 kHz and is used in most parts of the world (but not in the USA, btw). It *could* be that a certain frequency within this range causes the so called "worker piping". However, it looks like he didn't consider all potential confounders and the bee's reaction could also be a result of other factors like "ultrasonic magnetostriction of the cell phones' ferrite parts", "exhalations of chemical substances" or "the display's light emissions." But it would probably take days to discuss all details and key points in a appropriate manner. Overall, it's fair to say the type of cell phone he used may had an effect on his bees, but it's definitely not the main reason for the worldwide colony collapse disorder.

Here's another recent article on the subject:
Cell Phones Don't Kill Bees (STUDY)
Posted: 05/19/11 08:17 AM ET

The Internet is all abuzz about a reported new study suggesting cell phones cause the world's suddenly dwindling population of bees.

Now the British tabloid the Daily Mail is getting stung.

The paper recently published a story about a study that suggested in the first sentence that cell phone signals "could be partly to blame for the mysterious deaths of honeybees."

Problem is, the actual study never said such a thing.

The story was based on research done by Swiss researchers who studied the effects of cell phones on bees by placing active phones in or near hives.

Apparently, the bees were able to tell when the handsets made and received calls, and the insects responded by making "piping" sounds, the high-pitched tones that spread the message through the colony that something disturbing is happening.

The media swarmed around the story, but while the study provided evidence that bees do get agitated by cell phones -- as do most humans, at times -- there was no proof that they caused death, despite the use of the phrase "could be partly to blame."

As the website CleanTechnica pointed out, the Daily Mail article explicitly states, all the way down in paragraph 17, that "the study did not show that mobile phones were deadly for bees."

CleanTechnica columnist Jeremy Bloom, who helped expose the fallacy, tried to jokingly explain the discrepancy between the headline and the part of the story that admits there was no actual evidence of bee deaths by surmising the headline writer may not have read that far.

"It's the headline writer's job to pump things up to make sure that folks read the article. So he went all out," Bloom wrote.

Whoever wrote the Daily Mail headline did indeed go all out, using headlines like "Why a mobile phone ring may make bees buzz off: Insects infuriated by handset signals;" taglines like: "Phone signals confuse bees and cause them to begin flying erratically before suddenly dying" and photo captions like "Researchers placed mobile phones in bee hives under controlled conditions and monitored the results. They found the phone signals confused the bees who began to fly erratically before dying suddenly."

To its credit, however, the Daily Mail did include comments from British-based bee expert Norman Carreck of Sussex University, who said the study was "interesting," but didn't prove that mobile phones are responsible for colony collapse disorder, a condition that has affected, according to some estimates, nearly half the bee population in the U.S.

"If you physically knock a hive, or open one up to examine it, it has the same result," Carreck said. "And, in America, many cases of colony collapse disorder have taken place in remote areas far from any mobile phone signals."

Source: weirdnews.aol.com
Perhaps we can all agree on one thing: We need to do something because the future of our planet is in serious danger. In this context, I'd like to quote plexus who made a valid point above.
plexus wrote:After watching the documentary I was under the impression that they suspected / identified new types of fertilizer that were already "found" as the cause for CCD in france. Didn't they?
A first and important step would be to stick to bee-friendly (or simply "100 percent natural") fertilizer and forbid any other unnecessary types by law because that's a factor that really harms the hives in the first place. This action will probably increase costs and decrease profits, but both the food industry and consumers need to wake up and start to think about tomorrow. It can't be the right way to cheaply produce as much food as possible to make growing profits without considering the side effects on the nature and not to forget our very own health. That's actually a key point of the "Food, Inc." documentary, which Ellen supported with three PSA videos a couple of months ago.
[Update] Update - 05/24/2011
Ellen Page Calls Attention to Bee Colony Devastation
The "Super" actress hosts the premiere of new documentary "The Vanishing of the Bees," which she also narrates.
10:22 PM 5/23/2011 by Degen Pener

The Vanishing of the Bees, a documentary about the mysterious collapse of honeybee colonies across the globe, received its Los Angeles premiere on Sunday night, with actress Ellen Page as the host.

"These beautiful little beings supply us with one-third of our food, and they are quickly vanishing," said Page in introducing the film.

The 87-minute doc, directed by George Langworthy and Maryam Henein and narrated by Page, follows the story of both commercial beekeepers -- some of whom keep thousands of hives and transport their bees around the country to pollinate crops -- and organic beekeepers. Many of them believe that a systemic pesticide, banned in some European countries, is behind the loss of honeybees and that the Environmental Protection Agency has failed to properly study the chemical.

"This is a bee holocaust out there," says beekeeper Dave Mendes in the film. The phenomenon, which has seen the disappearance of an untold number of bees crucial to the production of fruits and vegetables, is called Colony Collapse Disorder. So far, no definitive cause has been discovered.

Page -- who'll next act in Woody Allen's Bop Decameron-- met the directors through a mutual actor friend. "We were on the set one day and bonded because someone had killed a bee and I was like, 'Dude!'" recalled Page. "And George and Maryam and I connected in the way these things happen and it worked out really well."

The message of the film, she says, "is clearly there are imbalances we've created with our modern industrialized agriculture system and how we're hurting the life that gives us life and have lost that sense of connectedness. Hopefully, despite it being frightening, and it should be frightening, there's an opportunity here to regain that sense of connectedness."

The movie will be released on DVD (including on Amazon) and VOD (iTunes and other outlets via digital distributor FilmBuff) on June 7.
Source: hollywoodreporter.com

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 25, 2011 7:49 am

So good to finally hear something about Ellen and the VotB premiere on Sunday. I was hoping there would be some coverage. Lets hope more word gets out about it :)

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jun 06, 2011 6:03 am

Update from the film makers (sent via e-mail):
Dear Bee Friends,

Our LA Premiere was a huge triumph. The evening was splendid; we offered our guests lots of lovely treats like organic strawberries, gluten-free cupcakes, biodymanic wine, kombucha and the one and only Ellen Page. Ellen's introduction brought tears to Maryam's eyes and made us both grateful for her contribution to our documentary.

It was a lovely day of celebration for our four hard years of work on this project.

In other great news, we met our $15,000 Kickstarter goal and will be working on our educational version very soon!

Thank you all again for supporting the bees and the efforts we have put in to bring you a movie that we view as more of a movement and tool for generations to come!

Blessed Bees,

Maryam and George

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 13, 2011 7:15 am

If anyone is up.....right now

George Langworthy, one of the producers of VotB....is on Coast to Coast AM this AM (Monday morning). Not sure what exact time he will be on. He is scheduled to discuss the VotB video

http://www.coasttocoastam.com

From the website:

Tonight's show1am - 5am ET
10pm - 2am PTInvestigating Roswell
Sun 06-12

Guest host Rob Simone (email) welcomes experts in the Roswell, New Mexico UFO crash of 1947, Tom Carey and Don Schmitt. They'll discuss why the recent explanations of the Roswell crash ignore decades of evidence, which they will review.

In the first hour, filmmaker George Langworthy will talk about his new documentary, Vanishing of the Bees.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Its nice to get the exposure but being on the same show as Roswell alien crash wackos doesn't exactly help their credibility. :laugh:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 14, 2011 7:30 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:Its nice to get the exposure but being on the same show as Roswell alien crash wackos doesn't exactly help their credibility. :laugh:
Hey, you take attention anywhere you can :laugh:

Langworthy was on the whole hour, but neither mentioned Ellen narrating...bummed about that. Good discussion on bees, though :D

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jun 17, 2011 3:46 am

If anyone's interested in getting the VoB DVD:
Greetings,

We are happy to announce that Vanishing of the Bees is now for sale as a retail DVD at the low introductory price of $11.99.

This is a limited time offer – so buzz over to our website and get your copy today!

http://www.vanishingbees.com/purchase-d ... fer-11-99/

Up until now, we have had tremendous success with our Bee the Change grassroots campaign, selling screening licenses of our documentary for events large and small. This is still going strong!

However, we are now bringing out the DVD for individual retail purchases. So if you have been waiting to get copy to watch at home –the time has come!

Thanks so much for your support!

Sweetly, George and Maryam

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 18, 2011 3:56 am

Amazon has it for a dollar cheaper, go figure.

sideburner

Jul 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Did any of you participate in the Kickstarter campaign? If so, have you received your stuff yet? I chipped in $25 and should get a DVD but i still haven't gotten any.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jul 22, 2011 12:03 am

sideburner wrote:Did any of you participate in the Kickstarter campaign? If so, have you received your stuff yet? I chipped in $25 and should get a DVD but i still haven't gotten any.
See [here] :rolleye: :disappointed: . If you would like to see the documentary, I suggest buying a copy on eBay or Amazon.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 22, 2011 12:30 am

sideburner wrote:Did any of you participate in the Kickstarter campaign? If so, have you received your stuff yet? I chipped in $25 and should get a DVD but i still haven't gotten any.
I had an email on July 16th - no stuff yet:
Dear Friends,

We are sending out the rewards starting next week!

Thanks for your patience as we put the materials together. We just placed our order for T shirts and got the candles, and books signed from Michael Pollan and all the other goodies assembled to share with you in gratitude for your generous support. They should arrive in the next two to three weeks - and maybe a week longer for our friends overseas.

We look forward to you seeing the film if you haven't already and hope you are having a wonderful summer!

Sweetly,

George & Maryam

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 22, 2011 9:31 am

Yeah, I got the copy signed by the directors for my $25 donation and got a copy signed by Ellen for purchasing the rights to a screening. Been trying to put it together for a while... it's not easy.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 16, 2011 4:19 am

I just got my stuff in Canada last week (August)- director signed DVD and "Bee the change" Tee shirt.