Vanishing of the Bees

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 03, 2011 3:27 am

In the words of one truly great actress...."Awesome" :D The acknowledgement is so cool

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Apr 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Glee Plane wrote: Excellent, glad it was a success. :totalhappy: Was it a hard thing to organize?
I wouldn't necessarily say hard, but it did take a lot of time and effort. Had to do lots of planning, find sponsors, find the right time and location, market the event, etc. The easiest part was probably the screening itself, just needed to press the play button :laugh: .[/quote]

That does sound like a lot of work, :yes: but I may have to consider organizing one myself. And nice of her to acknowledge you. :super:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 04, 2011 6:02 am

bluetoes591 wrote:
Glee Plane wrote: Excellent, glad it was a success. :totalhappy: Was it a hard thing to organize?
I wouldn't necessarily say hard, but it did take a lot of time and effort. Had to do lots of planning, find sponsors, find the right time and location, market the event, etc. The easiest part was probably the screening itself, just needed to press the play button :laugh: .
That does sound like a lot of work, :yes: but I may have to consider organizing one myself. And nice of her to acknowledge you. :super:[/quote]

Organizing this thing is getting incredibly annoying. I can't send e-mails to the ONE person I need to contact to get it to work. When he sends me e-mails I get them, but when I respond: nothing.

And I saw a little @renfei2 on Ellen's Twitter :D . That's awesome Glee.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm

I've been doing some looking recently and on Amazon.co.uk I found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanishing-Bees- ... 451&sr=1-1

Is this the same one narrated by Ellen? The video is narrated by someone different but it's the same year, same name and same poster.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Is this the same one narrated by Ellen? The video is narrated by someone different but it's the same year, same name and same poster.
No, it's a different version which was made before the US one. The UK edition is narrated by Emilia Fox as stated on the official website :)
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Vanishing of the Bees just started another kickstarter campaign to raise money for a 30-minute educational version of the documentary and supporting study materials:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bee ... al-version

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Glee Plane wrote:Vanishing of the Bees just started another kickstarter campaign to raise money for a 30-minute educational version of the documentary and supporting study materials:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bee ... al-version
There are lots of autographed goodies being given away for the pledges:
PLEDGE $1 OR MORE
THANK YOU on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $25 OR MORE
VANISHING OF THE BEES DVD - A DVD of the documentary autographed by directors George Langworthy and Maryam Henein in an eco friendly case. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
DVD & BEESWAX CANDLE - A DVD of the documentary autographed by the directors in eco friendly packaging and a highest quality 3" x 4" pure beeswax pillar candle made by Big Dipper Waxworks. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
DVD & T-SHIRT - A DVD of the documentary autographed by the directors in an eco friendly case and a Bee The Change T-Shirt. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
DVD & SOUNDTRACK - A DVD of the documentary autographed by the directors in an eco friendly case and an autographed CD of music composed for the film - The Effective Disconnect - by Brian McBride. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $75 OR MORE
MICHAEL POLLAN SPECIAL - a DVD of the documentary autographed by one of our main characters - renowned author and food activist Michael Pollan in an eco friendly case. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website. Supplies are limited.

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
DELUXE BOX SET - a DVD of the documentary autographed by the directors in an eco friendly case, a highest quality 3" x 4" pure beeswax pillar candle made by Big Dipper Waxworks, a Bee The Change T-Shirt and an autographed CD of music composed for the film - The Effective Disconnect - by Brian McBride. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
MICHAEL POLLAN BOX SET - a DVD of the documentary autographed by one of our main characters - renowned author and food activist Michael Pollan in an eco friendly case as well as a copy of his influential, entertaining and informative book - Food Rules. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website. Supplies are limited.

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
5 PACK DVD SET - five copies of the documentary in eco friendly cases autographed by the directors George Langworthy and Maryam Henein. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
30 MINUTE EDUCATIONAL VERSION - A DVD of the 30 minute educational cut of the documentary autographed by the directors once is has been completed - as well as a study guide and the full length version of the film. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website.

PLEDGE $250 OR MORE
ELLEN PAGE SPECIAL - a DVD of the documentary autographed by our narrator - Oscar Nominated Actress Ellen Page - in an eco friendly case. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website. Supplies are limited.

PLEDGE $500 OR MORE
ELLEN PAGE EXTRA SPECIAL - a DVD of the documentary autographed by our narrator - Oscar Nominated Actress Ellen Page - in an eco friendly case as well as a Bee The Change T-Shirt autographed by Ellen. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website. Supplies are limited.

PLEDGE $1,000 OR MORE
ELLEN PAGE BOX SET - a DVD of the documentary autographed by our narrator - Oscar Nominated Actress Ellen Page - in an eco friendly case, and a Bee The Change T-Shirt autographed by Ellen as well as a Vanishing of the Bees Poster autographed by Ellen. Thank you on the Vanishing of the Bees website. Supplies are limited.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Apr 13, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks for the information, guys. Since I've already donated more than $100 to this project and I've never received the stuff I was supposed to get (including a DVD copy signed by Ellen), I will just donate $10 this time.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 14, 2011 4:41 am

Dom, Maryam is very quick to respond to e-mails so I'm sure if you just said so to her she'd try to fix it up.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Apr 15, 2011 11:06 pm

I've talked to her several times, but in the end she was either not willing or unable to help me. Since I'm not the kind of person who washes his dirty laundry in public, I won't give away any details of our conversation here. Let me just say that her help was restricted to advices like "we've sent everything out correctly, there's nothing more we can do for you" or "check with your local post office." I don't know how this is handled in the US, but if a German post office has a package, it will be delivered to the stated destination for sure. In this way it's pretty useless to search for it there. On the other hand it was impossible to initiate any tracking and tracing as Maryam didn't provide me any information about the sender address and so on.

Fact is that I was supposed to get a DVD signed by Ellen for my $120 donation in April/May 2010 and a second copy signed by the producers for a further donation on Kickstarter.com. However, both items hasn't arrived for unknown reasons. Since I still wanted to watch the version narrated by Ellen, I've placed another order through the documentary's website and surprisingly received my (unsigned) copy within one(!) week.

Considering I was among the first people who (financially) supported the project at all and I always spread the word and the latest information here on EPO or via Twitter and Facebook, it's just sad how things turned out. Everything is fine as long as you donate money, support their cause and give them a helping hand. But don't dare to ask for anything in return. :rolleye:

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 24, 2011 12:14 am

I know a lot of us here already own this DVD but its now available for pre-order at Amazon, shipping June 14.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Bees-El ... 997&sr=1-1

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Apr 24, 2011 12:54 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:I know a lot of us here already own this DVD but its now available for pre-order at Amazon, shipping June 14.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Bees-El ... 997&sr=1-1
And also in Canada:
http://www.amazon.ca/Vanishing-of-the-B ... 161&sr=8-1

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Dear Hive Members,

Vanishing of the Bees celebrated a truly amazing Earth Month with over 120 screenings in April across the U.S. and internationally in 76 cities! Wow! The buzz continues to spread and our grassroots campaign is still going strong.

Currently, our fundraising drive to create an educational version of the film is two-thirds of the way there and we urgently need your help!! Unless we reach our goal we do not get any funding at all. And with only five days left we are really down to the wire!! Yikes!

Our pledge drive ends this Sunday - Mother’s Day – in celebration of Mother’s everywhere and the planet that gave birth to the honeybees, human beings and all living things - Mother Earth. Please consider donating - we are offering lots of sweet goods in exchange for a pledge. Every little bit counts and is much appreciated. If you can not donate, please consider posting the link via Facebook, Twitter or on your blog. This is just as powerful!

Please help us in the final days of our campaign!

Click Here!

With a spoonful of gratitude,

Maryam & George
Source: email

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 05, 2011 9:43 pm

I made a $25 donation to that new campaign. Currently the total funding is very close to $15,000, so it looks like the goal will be reached. :)

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Ellen Page, George Langworthy and Maryam Henein will host a screening of "Vanishing of the Bees" at the Barnsdall Gallery Theatre in Los Angeles on May 22, 2011
Date :: Sunday May 22 2011
Time :: 8:00pm to 10:30pm
Tickets :: $20 Advanced | $25 Door
Location :: Barnsdall Gallery Theatre | 4800 Hollywood Blvd LA, CA 90027 www.barnsdall.org

Vanishing of the Bees LA Premiere Screening hosted by Ellen Page with the directors George Langworthy & Maryam Henein

Come join the buzz at the Barnsdall Theater for the LA Premiere screening of the award-winning documentary Vanishing of the Bees, narrated by Oscar-nominated Ellen Page. Following the film, directors George Langworthy and Maryam Henein will be joined by Ellen Page for a lively discussion and Q& A.

Ample free parking is available on the upper level of the Barnsdall Art Gallery Complex – located in the heart of Los Feliz on Hollywood Blvd - one half block west of Vermont. Come beforehand to mingle and enjoy refreshments, snacks and music on the beautiful patio.

Honeybees have been mysteriously disappearing across the planet, literally vanishing from their hives. Known as Colony Collapse Disorder, this phenomenon threatens the loss of much more than honey as we depend on honeybees to pollinate one third of the food on our tables. Vanishing of the Bees chronicles the innermost thoughts and feelings of beekeepers and scientists as they fight to preserve the honeybee and make it through another day.

Featuring experts like author Michael Pollan, the film also presents a platform of solutions, encouraging audiences to be the change they want to see in the world. This highly acclaimed documentary examines the alarming disappearance of honeybees and the greater meaning it holds about the relationship between mankind and mother earth.
Source: vanishing-bees.eventbrite.com

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 09, 2011 5:28 am

Success!

Project location: Los Angeles, CA

Report this project to Kickstarter
BACKERS

$15,639
PLEDGED OF $15,000 GOAL

HOURS TO GO

THIS PROJECT WILL BE FUNDED ON TUESDAY MAY 10, 2:00AM EDT.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

It’s Official – Cell Phones are Killing Bees
by Lori Zimmer, 05/11/11

Scientists may have found the cause of the world’s sudden dwindling population of bees – and cell phones are to blame. Research conducted in Lausanne, Switzerland has shown that the signal from cell phones not only confuses bees, but also leads to their death. Over 83 experiments have yielded the same results. With virtually most of the population of the United States (and the rest of the world) owning cell phones, the impact has been greatly noticeable.

Led by researcher Daniel Favre, the alarming study found that bees reacted significantly to cell phones that were placed near or in hives in call-making mode. The bees sensed the signals transmitted when the phones rang, and emitted heavy buzzing noise during the calls. The calls act as an instinctive warning to leave the hive, but the frequency confuses the bees, causing them to fly erratically, and then suddenly die! The study found that the bees’ buzzing noise increases ten times when a cell phone is ringing or making a call – aka when signals are being transmitted, but remained normal when not in use.

The signals cause the bees to become lost and disoriented, resulting in death. The impact has already been felt the world over, as the population of bees in the U.S. and the U.K. has decreased by almost half in the last thirty years – which coincides with the popularization and acceptance of cell phones as a personal device. Studies as far back as 2008 have found that bees are repelled by cell phone signals.

Bees are an integral and necessary part of our agricultural and ecological systems, producing honey, and more importantly pollinating our crops. As it is unlikely that the world will learn to forgo the convenience of cell phones, it is unclear how catastrophic the impact of the loss of bees could become.
Source: inhabitat.com

Complete study by Daniel Favre: http://www.springerlink.com/content/bx2 ... lltext.pdf

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 12, 2011 11:16 pm

That's a surprising study, Dominik :stunned: . The implications are major in terms of what people will be willing to give up in order to live in harmony with this aspect of Nature. The challenge now is to walk the talk.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

May 13, 2011 1:24 am

This is not exactly news as scientists have suspected this for years, however its good to finally see such a comprehensive study put things so bluntly. :whatever: Hopefully mainstream news picks up on it.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 13, 2011 9:50 am

bluetoes591 wrote:This is not exactly news as scientists have suspected this for years...
As far as I know it was beyond question the signal from cell phones has an effect on the bees. But I think it's new information it also leads to their death and not only confuses them. Finally, that's just another proof that mankind will slowly destroy itself. It will be really difficult to find a global solution in this case. I'm a person who barely uses my cell phone and have turned it off if I don't need it. But I don't believe this applies to the rest of the civilization :rolleye: The majority of people, especially the younger generation, won't be willing to abandon being reachable at any time and get rid of their cell phones from one day to the next. Furthermore, I doubt big companies like Nokia, Sony or Motorola will join a "save the bees to save the planet"-movement, reconsider their policies and push the development of alternative methods of communication. :uhoh: