Pit Pony- TV Series

Mrs. Ashboro's Cat, Wilby Wonderful, Marion Bridge & Co

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 18, 2009 11:59 pm

Does anyone own the First Season DVD set?

What do you think of the show? Does it differ in any way from the movie?

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jul 19, 2009 6:00 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:Does anyone own the First Season DVD set?

What do you think of the show? Does it differ in any way from the movie?
I own the first season DVD, but I've never seen the movie. Ellen definitely isn't a major character, but I quite enjoy Canadian period television productions.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 19, 2009 1:54 pm

I actually liked the Pit Pony TV series a little better than the film. The film was good, but the TV series gets into more of the life and times during the late 19th-early 20th C Glace Bay/Cape Breton.

Most of the same actors in the movie are in the TV series....except there is a different Willie MacLean (the main character). Both kids who play Willie are good actors...and you really do not notice the difference.

Ellen is not in a lot of episodes in the TV series.....as her character was sent away to live with an aunt. Though, it is so cool to watch the movie...then watch a later TV episode....and see how much Ellen matures. In the movie, the only way I could tell it was her at first was when she smiled...because her voice was so young in the movie.

Pit Pony is really a good family-type of TV series....a lot superior compared to these types of shows made by American TV.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I can get the set for less than $20 and I liked the movie so I guess its a done deal. :)

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Feb 04, 2012 12:39 am

Sad news:
Pit Pony author Joyce Barkhouse dies
Joyce Barkhouse, the Nova Scotia-based children's author who wrote Pit Pony, has died. She was 98.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/ ... -obit.html
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 04, 2012 2:23 pm

JimH wrote:Sad news:
Pit Pony author Joyce Barkhouse dies
Joyce Barkhouse, the Nova Scotia-based children's author who wrote Pit Pony, has died. She was 98.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/ ... -obit.html
So sad to hear. Pit Pony was a classic childrens book, and such a great story. Hey, it even launched the career of someone famous ;-)

I probably would have never thought that you could mine coal under the ocean...or that I would even be able to go into a mine under the sea (which you can do at the Glace Bay Miners Museum, Glace Bay, NS)

RIP Mrs Barkhouse

Article from Halifax newspaper on Barkhouse passing. Did not realize she was Margaret Atwood's aunt (Atwood is probably the most famous living Canadian author)...Seems they just expanded a little on the CBC/CP story

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/5 ... house-dies