"Tilda" - Ellen's new HBO Series?

HBO's comedy series about a Hollywood blogger

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 12, 2010 5:16 am

In "Hollywood elsewhere" Jeffrey Wells on April 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM, reported about a new HBO Series called "Tilda" starring Diane Keaton and co-starring Ellen Page. Has anyone seen any info confirming this? Here is the link and quote.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/04/ ... tein_1.php
Tilda is a forthcoming HBO series about a Nikki Finke-ish Hollywood blogger that will star Diane Keaton and costar Ellen Page. An HBO spokesperson told Belloni that '"the script is a fictional composite and not based on any one person." Bulls**t, bulls**t, bulls**it. The Tilda Watski character is Finke, Finke, Finke all the way. Belloni was spot-on when he said the show should be called Toldja! instead of Tilda.

There's also a Los Angeles Times reporter called Brian Sheen. He's Tilda's chief competitor for Hollywood scoops and not above a little scheming and maneuvering to compromise Tilda where it hurts (i.e., by revealing her past and probing her personal weaknesses) or at least head her off at the pass. This guy, up and down and in every possible way save for living in Silver Lake rather than Brentwood and not having a Jewish last name, is L.A. Times columnist Patrick Goldstein.

On 4.22 Goldstein wrote about what he'd heard about the project, although he hadn't read the actual script.

My reactions after reading the Tilda script, tapped out before going to bed around 1 am:

"What a brilliant and hilarious high-calorie, action-packed half-hour! Seriously...f***ing delicious! Okay, maybe I'm prejudiced because it takes place in my figurative back yard, but it's obviously going to be hard to keep the quality at this level for show after show.

"Action- and plot-turn-wise this easily could have been an hour-long episode. There's a certain tempo and breadth and breathing-space element to an hour-long show (like The Sopranos, say) , and Tilda is much faster and tighter, like a caffeinated Entourage. Condon and Mort have honed it down so that every line and every beat counts.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 12, 2010 11:37 am

JimH wrote:Has anyone seen any info confirming this? Here is the link and quote.
I haven't been able to find any other website reporting the same thing (Variety, Hollywood Reporter etc). I've also checked HBO's Media Relations Site and there's no press release on this series at all. Furthermore it's a bit suspicious that the author only named two actresses. I mean what about the rest of the cast? And if he really has the script and insider information, why doesn't he say what role/charater Ellen is going to play?

Here's are two article from Los Angeles Times and The Hollywood Reporter (i.e. much more reliable sources), which were posted a few days earlier and only state that "HBO apparently has already been in talks with Diane Keaton to star as Tilda".

My conclusion: No official word on this yet, so consider it a rumor for now.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Ellen and Diane Keaton have teamed up to act in an HBO series pilot called "Tilda", according to EW.com.
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/05/26/ ... -hbo-tild/
It’s official: After nearly two months of negotiations, Oscar winner Diane Keaton has signed on to play the title role in HBO’s Tilda, a half-hour comedy pilot about a powerful and much-feared Hollywood blogger that may or may not be loosely based on powerful and much-feared Hollywood blogger Nikki “Toldja!” Finke.
Additionally, Ellen Page (Juno) has been tapped to co-star as Caroyln, a morally conflicted creative assistant caught between following the corporate culture of the studio she works for and following Tilda, who has taken a keen interest in her.
Page will next be seen in Christopher Nolan’s awesome looking thriller, Inception.
The Tilda pilot, which is being produced by Bill Condon (Kinsey, Dreamgirls) and Tell Me You Love Me creator Cynthia Mort, is set to start shooting next month in New York.

What do you think?

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 26, 2010 9:30 pm

JimH wrote:What do you think?
This schedule (Tilda, Glenn Martin DDS, Freeheld, Stitch N' Bitch, Good Canary) will keep her busy with no time left for anything else :rolleye:

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Dominik wrote:
JimH wrote:What do you think?
This schedule (Tilda, Glenn Martin DDS, Freeheld, Stitch N' Bitch, Good Canary) will keep her busy with no time left for anything else :rolleye:
Yeah - it makes me wonder if she will want or have time to act in Stitch N'Bitch.:rolleye:

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 27, 2010 8:34 am

JimH wrote:Yeah - it makes me wonder if she will want or have time to act in Stitch N'Bitch.:rolleye:
Maybe this will answer your question :)

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks Dominik :totalhappy: It sounds like Stitch N'Bitch is going to be delayed and we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

May 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Interesting... busy she will be indeed. Thanks for the info guys :)
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 28, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks for finding out about Stitch N Bitch, Dom....good to see it is still in development. Hopefully it will air someday.

Yes Ellen is going to be quite busy coming up.....which means Dominik is going to be busy, too :D Keeping up with Ellen and keeping up with us

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jun 18, 2010 5:41 am

According to Hunter Walker at TheWrap, the "Tilda" pilot was finished last week and is now awaiting approval by HBO to see if it will be greenlit and go to series.
More details here:
http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/behin ... ilda-18511

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Very bad news, if this is true... :unhappy:
Exclusive: Backstage drama erupts at HBO's showbiz-themed 'Tilda' as showrunner exits
by Michael Ausiello and Lynette Rice, posted on August 23, 2010 - 01:02 PM ET

The future of an HBO project that’s loosely based on Hollywood’s irascible blogger Nikki Finke is in doubt after an on-set blowout that’s strikingly similar to some of the juicy posts that can be found on Deadline.com.

Showrunner Cynthia Mort has been removed from Tilda after a tense pilot shoot in which she frequently clashed with executive producer/director Bill Condon and got into public scuffles with Diane Keaton, who plays a powerful online journalist who covers the entertainment industry.

“It was an unhappy marriage from day one,” says one source of the Condon-Mort partnership. “They banged heads about almost everything…and during production she picked huge public fights with anyone who disagreed with her on anything, including Diane.”

When HBO asked her not to come to the set, Mort fired off a scathing email to production and the studio saying Condon and Keaton didn’t know what they were doing and the show was going to fail. “It was an ugly, nasty email,” says another insider. “That was the final straw for HBO.”

HBO declined to comment for this story.

Another insider familiar with the situation acknowledged the aggressive nature of Mort’s email, which basically said it was her way or the highway. HBO ultimately chose Condon’s vision for the project.

(Mort, who declined to comment as well, is no stranger to difficult work environments, having co-produced a season of ABC’s Roseanne from 1995-96. The talented scribe was also responsible for HBO’s critically-praised series Tell Me You Love Me, which only lasted for one season.)

For now, the pay cabler isn’t giving up on Tilda. Word is Condon has assembled a new team and is closing in on a new showrunner, so there’s still a chance HBO may order the show to series (the network has ordered additional scripts). “They love Diane —Emmy in the bag—and Ellen Page, but development was rushed and the general feeling is the show doesn’t click,” says the source. The project also stars Jason Patric and Sanaa Lathan.

As for Finke’s involvement in the project, the influential but elusive blogger has said on her site that she had “no prior knowledge that this show was being created or put into development” and that she had no creative or consulting involvement with the show.

Source: ausiellofiles.ew.com

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Wow - that's unexpected. In the recent interview Ellen did with Collider, she said she had a great experience on set. She must have missed all the behind the scenes drama!

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

It was just the showrunner apparently, so if they replace her, they may still be able to carry on. HBO has ordered new scripts so that's always a good sign.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sep 25, 2010 2:57 pm

I have some new information for you :) Ellen's character's full name is Carolyn Milk. She is supposed to be 26 years old, works for the Revolution Media Group and is the person who quietly forwards breaking news to Tilda Watski. There are like 4-5 scenes with her in the pilot - one of them is a longer dialogue at Tilda's apartment. Since the story of the first episode focuses on other characters, I think Ellen has an important supporting role in this series.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for the update Dominik. Looks like Tilda is still a go, so I'm very excited!

And of course, when I google "Ellen Page Carolyn Milk", the first three results are EPO :laugh:

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Sep 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Even more hyped now! :D And this is spooky, but Dom, your post count says 666.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 25, 2010 10:59 pm

I still don't have HBO :weeping: . It's a crime or something every single other person I know has HBO. I've gotta get it by the time they start broadcasting this.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 27, 2010 8:06 am

Great news Dom....and hope Tilda gets a green light to go full series. With the talent they have assembled, I do not think HBO will punt the series. Especially Ellen :)

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 05, 2010 6:29 am

Update from Variety http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026932?refCatId=14
TV News
Print Share
Posted: Thu., Nov. 4, 2010, 4:41pm PT
Poul added as exec producer on 'Tilda'
Hoffman, Junge also added to show about influential blogger

By STUART LEVINE

HBO is upping the executive ranks of pilot "Tilda," the show about an influential Hollywood blogger.
Longtime "Six Feet Under" exec producer Alan Poul has been given exec producer stripes. Writers Alexa Junge and John Hoffman were also recently hired and given exec producer status as well and will work with director-exec producer Bill Condon to conceptualize the series if it goes forward.

Pilot, which was shot months ago and stars Diane Keaton in the lead role, has not been picked up for series yet, as co-president Richard Plepler and programming prexy Michael Lombardo weigh the decision to go forward or not. Jason Patric and Ellen Page also co-star.

Original showrunner Cynthia Mort, who worked with HBO on one-season series "Tell Me You Love Me" co-wrote the pilot with Condon. Her status with the show, should it go forward, is currently undetermined following reported creative differences.

Contact Stuart Levine at stuart.levine@variety.com

Also similar report here: http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/three-j ... producers/

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Here is another news bite on "Tilda" dated 11-09-10:
'Miraculous Year' Not Going Forward At HBO
By Nellie Andreeva | Tuesday November 9, 2010 @ 2:11pm PST

[...]
The Diane Keaton starrer Tilda is still awaiting word while backup scripts are being written and reshoots on the pilot are being done.
[...]
Source: www.deadline.com