Freeheld News

Feature film based on the Oscar-winning documentary

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Freeheld News

Post by JimH » May 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Good news from a Freeheld producer: http://www.examiner.com/article/exclusi ... talk-belle

"We've got another film shooting in New York in a few months, its called "Freeheld" with Julianne Moore and Ellen Page, shooting in September in New York, so our company Bankside Films finances it."
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Freeheld News

Post by Dominik » May 06, 2014 8:56 am

Honor to whom honor is due. :thumbup:

There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Freeheld News

Post by JimH » May 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks Dom :no1:

Screen Daily has new information about Freeheld: International distribution, actor Michael Shannon and shooting in September.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/banksid ... 90.article
Last edited by JimH on May 15, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correction
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

valap
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Freeheld News

Post by valap » Feb 10, 2015 7:23 am

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=*REMOVED*

Link dead now. We waiting official trailer from Lionsgate.
Last edited by Dominik on Feb 16, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed
:) + :)= :) :)

CommanderKool
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Freeheld News

Post by CommanderKool » Feb 13, 2015 12:46 am

I've seen the "leaked" trailer for "Freeheld", and let me just say that I was and was not happy with it.

The leaked one is the 12 minute reel that is supposedly the trailer, but I'm not sure (don't take my word on it!). I, for one, am very excited to see this movie and I'm really hoping that it gets a good-sized release. I mean, it's being distributed by Lionsgate so I'm hoping that they'll do this film some justice.

However, the 12 minute reel basically spoils the entire film. Including the ending! Like I said before, I don't know if this is just a leaked clip reel or the official trailer. I just kinda don't like how the whole film was basically spoiled. I really hope Lionsgate doesn't upload that because then there would be no point in seeing it. I'm sure Ellen's fans will do what it takes to see it anyway. We've been waiting for this film for so long!

End rant.
Be your own hero

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Freeheld News

Post by plexus » Feb 13, 2015 1:10 pm

CommanderKool wrote:I'm sure Ellen's fans will do what it takes to see it anyway.
Well, then that's their own fault.

I usually try not to see any trailers or read any reviews for movies that I'm excited to see. Because I know there might be spoilers, and, what's more important, I can't watch the movie unbiased.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Freeheld News

Post by Dominik » Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

CommanderKool wrote:I've seen the "leaked" trailer for "Freeheld", and let me just say that I was and was not happy with it.

The leaked one is the 12 minute reel that is supposedly the trailer, but I'm not sure (don't take my word on it!). I, for one, am very excited to see this movie and I'm really hoping that it gets a good-sized release. I mean, it's being distributed by Lionsgate so I'm hoping that they'll do this film some justice.

However, the 12 minute reel basically spoils the entire film. Including the ending! Like I said before, I don't know if this is just a leaked clip reel or the official trailer. I just kinda don't like how the whole film was basically spoiled. I really hope Lionsgate doesn't upload that because then there would be no point in seeing it. I'm sure Ellen's fans will do what it takes to see it anyway. We've been waiting for this film for so long!

End rant.
First, you have to mind that this video was never meant to be available for the general public. It was very likely shown to potential buyers at the film festivals in Berlin, who don't care about spoilers and want to get the best possible impression from the movie in the first place. This also explains the length of the video, I guess. Besides, I don't think you can actually speak of "spoilers" here. It's no secret how the case surrounding Laurel Hester and her partner turned out and I won't expect they are going to completely rewrite Hester's personal background for a feature film that is supposed to be based on a true story.

Still, the question remains how this video leaked and the person got his hands on it. I believe it's very rare that such things happen and there were surely more interesting projects premiering at the Berlinale this year. So why this video and this specific point of time? I can't find any sense in that!

CommanderKool
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Freeheld News

Post by CommanderKool » Feb 23, 2015 1:15 am

This is true, it doesn't make any sense at all. Yes, I can agree that watching it was my own fault...but I'm hoping that I will forget that I saw it and will most likely go and see it anyway. Hahaha!

Still looking forward to the release, and let's just hope that her fans can actually see this one!
Be your own hero

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Freeheld News

Post by Dominik » Jul 23, 2015 8:54 am

Love Is Love For Julianne Moore And Ellen Page In The First “Freeheld” Trailer
Moore and Page play a couple fighting for equal rights in this new movie, and BuzzFeed has the exclusive trailer.
by Kate Aurthur, BuzzFeed News Reporter, posted on Jul. 22, 2015, at 10:17 p.m.

The breakneck pace of the same-sex marriage movement reached its legal conclusion in late June when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality. This fall, the movie Freeheld — starring Julianne Moore and Ellen Page — will historicize how one lesbian couple fought for domestic partner benefits for same-sex couples a decade ago, helping to pave the way to today.

Freeheld, directed by Peter Sollett (Raising Victor Vargas, Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) and written by Ron Nyswaner (an Oscar nominee for Philadelphia), is based on the true story of Laurel Hester (Moore) and Stacie Andree (Page) and adapted from Cynthia Wade’s Oscar-winning 2007 documentary short. When Laurel, a police detective in Ocean County, New Jersey, found out she had terminal lung cancer, she sought to leave her benefits to Stacie, her partner — only to be blocked (initially) by the county’s governing body of Freeholders. Like so many pivotal figures in the LGBT civil rights movement, Hester was an unlikely activist, driven first by personal necessity and then by robust, full-throated determination. (She died in 2006, and the events of Freeheld are set between 2002 and 2006.)

In a telephone interview with BuzzFeed News, Freeheld’s director Sollett said, “It’s not often in the movies that we get to talk about our heroes. And to me, Laurel Hester is a hero — I knew that as soon as I came to know her story.”

>> Trailer: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=912783175434017

Freeheld tells two entwined stories, reflected in the film’s first trailer, debuting exclusively on BuzzFeed: the love story of Laurel and Stacie (who meet, naturally, in a volleyball league), and later the escalating battle of Laurel’s quest to make sure Stacie will receive her pension benefits.

“The political story and the personal story are one for me,” Sollett said. “It’s always our own sort of issues that pop up when we’re falling in love. But unfortunately, on top of those, these women had to deal with the prejudice and the obstacles set up for them by their local government. But for me, they’re one and the same: The personal is the political.”

He said he was drawn to Freeheld because “it was simply the most beautiful script I had ever read.” He continued, “It’s a very rare thing to find a piece of material that so accurately expresses one’s views about the world.”

In the movie, Michael Shannon plays Dane Wells, Laurel’s police partner and straight friend to whom she is closeted until she no longer has a choice. But if Laurel had underestimated him, she soon realizes how much of an ally he wants to be. Rounding out the main cast, Josh Charles plays a sympathetic Freeholder and Steve Carell breaks type as a brash LGBT activist who takes up Laurel’s cause.

Sollett spoke of the three lead actors’ different approaches. Moore was “research-oriented, and took the beautiful documentary and the journalism that was available on the subject and really internalized it.” He said, “She made it her mission to become an expert on the life of Laurel Hester. And it infused her choices within the scenes, and this is an important guiding light for us because it kept us honest.” To play Dane, Shannon spent time with Wells, who was often on set. “It was really Dane’s warmth that I think brought Michael to such a large-hearted performance — the type of charismatic performance that I don’t think people expect of him,” Sollett said.

When he first met with Page, who is also a producer on Freeheld, she asked Sollett what he thought the movie was about. His response was simply: “It’s a love story.” In her role as Stacie, a mechanic who falls in love with the older, but less out Laurel, Sollett said, “With Ellen, an actress we know and love and I think audiences completely embrace, I don’t think it’s wrong to use the words ‘breakthrough performance.’”

“She feels different, her physicality is different — the transformation is new,” Sollett said of the actor, who came out in February 2014. “That was thrilling. She was incredibly excited about that; she was being more honest. I think she was exposing more of her personal life, more of herself.”

Source: www.buzzfeed.com

Manderley
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Freeheld News

Post by Manderley » Jul 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Just the trailer itself is already so moving. Really looking forward to seeing the film.