SUPER discussion *possible SPOILERS*

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 09, 2011 1:16 am

HeartHer wrote:
studnothin wrote:so just to reiterate, you actually see--as in everything visible within the shot--ellen page double clicking her mouse? i understand it's not exactly explicit, but female masturbation on screen can only be "simulated" insofar. hence my curiosity in just how far she went with it. man, i cannot wait to see this movie... alone.
No but it's dead obvious what she's doing. It looks like she was really doing it, but just to keep it within reason it was through her tights.
well there's no need to speculate any longer. i finally got a chance to see the film today. i will admit, overall i thought it was a bit "clunky;" certain things didn't work particularly well and therefor the payoffs didn't seem as warranted. to be quite honest, i think it would have been more effective if gunn just went full blown "troma" with this movie opposed to this "exploration" of sorts on this particular subject. i've heard the remarks about the tonal shifts, but the real issue i think is film's ambivalence towards gratuity and sincerity in general.

anyway, the real pièce de résistance is ellen and every scene she's in, but with specific regard to that "intimate" scene i've been feverishly trying to assemble in my mind. well, consider my mind blown. that scene was straight up erotic. whoever claimed it was "icky" or awkward doesn't know what they're talking about. sure, that one line of dialogue was kind of funny, but for the most part, that was a highly thrilling, highly erotic sex scene. i even thought her performance in it was captivating. if you can forgive the premise, there was also a disquieting vulnerability to her wanting to be perceived as a sexual being. anyway, wow... just wow.
Last edited by Dominik on Apr 09, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tags
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Apr 09, 2011 1:38 am

studnothin wrote:
....... that scene was straight up erotic. whoever claimed it was "icky" or awkward doesn't know what they're talking about. ....
It was James Gunn himself who used the term "icky". :rolleye:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 09, 2011 2:56 am

well, it's kind of a juvenile remark, but whatever. either way, i think ellen is one of those actors who is "director-proof" so you can count on her to bring the truth regardless.
Last edited by studnothin on Apr 10, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

CyberGhostface
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 10, 2011 12:17 am

studnothin wrote:whoever claimed it was "icky" or awkward doesn't know what they're talking about
Well, it was a rape scene when you get down to it. Rainn's struggling the whole time and then we have Ellen forcing the mask onto him because she wants to have intercourse when they're both "in costume". Putting aside my love of all things Ellen, it's a pretty messed up scene.
Last edited by JimH on Apr 10, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 10, 2011 12:49 am

i disagree. i think it was morally wrong for her character to put frank in such an imposition, but it's not like he couldn't have stopped it if he wanted to. the fact is, he didn't want to have sex with libby, but he also kinda did. also, i'm certainly not making the case that it's impossible for a female to rape a male, i'm simply saying it would be tenuous at best to call that rape. again, i stand by my original position, i thought it was erotic and ellen was smoking hot.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 10, 2011 1:28 am

I would call it rape in the sense that initially Frank did not want to do it at all. But Libby was successful in seducing Frank to the point that he temporarily gave in to his desires and allowed the act to continue. And by end, I could tell from Frank's expression that he also climaxed. So I think the scene started as rape but ended as consensual.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm

well even under a great deal of duress, that physiological function would still be possible so i wouldn't base it on that alone. besides, i'm more interested in the psychology of the characters. to be so easily dismissive of all the other factors at play, a person would either have to be somewhat deluded or self-deceptive to believe frank was raped by libby. i honestly don't think it's as black and white as most people perceive it to be. my take all along was that frank truly had feelings for libby, and probably related to her more than any other character in the film. i think his initial apprehension was entirely motivated by his sense of duty and obligation towards his marriage and love for sarah. hence it was a facade, and yes, libby was taking a big risk if she was wrong, but we as an audience are expected to know these things in advance. i guess this is the result of using dramatic irony in a sex scene, it does blur the line a bit.

with that being said, i did notice that there were a few beats throughout the story that were somewhat "mishandled." so, if the director really did intend for that particular act to be conveyed as rape then i would argue that he sacrificed a much richer, more compelling development between these two characters for something completely exploitative and just went for the gut. call me naive, but i tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm

:grooving: YES !!! I saw it yesterday. !!!

Since it was during my vacation I took the chance to go to Brussels and watch it at the BIFF (the Brussels Fantastic Film Festival).
I'm so excitet, I never thought to get the chance to see it in a movie theater :totalhappy:

The film is so great. James Gunn really knows how to tell a story. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, because it's not my kind of movie. But I do. Very much. And not just because of Ellen.

To catch up with the discussion:
JimH wrote:It was James Gunn himself who used the term "icky". :rolleye:
And that's probably the best description. The scenen is nice. It's funny, it's kind of awkward (intended) and it doesn't go too far.

I also do think it's necessary for Libby to die. There had to be some justice to the whole false-superhero theme. Also, it made the ending work very well: "I got a rabbit though" (or something like this, can't remember), imagine an ending like this with Libby still around.

And I agree with everyone saying that Libby is one of the best characters Ellen played. She was so crazy. Loved it.
HeartHer wrote:Well I think she nailed the role, but I don't see her doing anything too similar for a while. She likes to mix it up way too much to do something like this any time soon.
I'm afraid we won't see anything from Ellen any time soon. :(

To widen the focus to the other actors:
I never saw 'The Office' but even though Rainn is obviously a good comedy actor, he's also very believable in a dramatic role. Not to mention Kevin Bacon as the bad guy, great.

BTW: liked the 'double negative' discussion :laugh:
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 13, 2011 7:11 am

Well yeah I wouldn't expect to see anything new from her for a while. Last year Peacock released to start the year, and Inception quickly followed. Then we saw SUPER less than a year later, I think 3 movies in the span of barely over a year is even more than I'd expect from someone who tries so hard to only work in movies that interest them.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 17, 2011 3:20 am

Just saw SUPER at FLA Film Festival. The movie is a freakin riot!

So cool to see a movie that is BETTER than everyone said it was going to be. The best freakin' opening credits ever....and I never laughed so much at a movie where blood and goo was flying all over the place. :biggrin:

Of course, Ellen absolutely rocked in this movie. This is truly one of her best performances. She is truly freakin nuts in a few scenes :biggrin: Oh my :biggrin: And, I do not know if this was intentional....but you got to notice the parody of one of the films Ellen was in previously :biggrin:

I saw Kick Ass a few times...and SUPER really was much better. There are a lot more laughs from SUPER, and better overall supporting cast. And Kick Ass was an excellent movie in its own right

I do not understand the negative reviews of this movie. What were these critics watching? Did they think it was a G rated film?

See SUPER as often as possible....

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 17, 2011 8:03 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Of course, Ellen absolutely rocked in this movie. This is truly one of her best performances. She is truly freakin nuts in a few scenes :biggrin: Oh my :biggrin: And, I do not know if this was intentional....but you got to notice the parody of one of the films Ellen was in previously :biggrin:
what film are you referring, and what scene are you indicating the parody?

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 18, 2011 6:13 am

studnothin wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Have to go Spoiler here
► Show Spoiler

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 18, 2011 10:23 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:
studnothin wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:
Have to go Spoiler here
► Show Spoiler
interesting observation, but i think those two "instances" were merely happenstance. the film played on various comic book tropes and conventions, so anything x-men would inevitably show up in the narrative. the other thing is also kind of a reach

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 21, 2011 12:00 am

i'm just happy i got to see rainn and ellen back together again. and the fact that the side kick raped the superhero is pretty epic. and damn, i seriously haven't posted on the message board in a LOOOOOONG time. haha

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Apr 21, 2011 12:36 am

angie wrote:i'm just happy i got to see rainn and ellen back together again. and the fact that the side kick raped the superhero is pretty epic. and damn, i seriously haven't posted on the message board in a LOOOOOONG time. haha
Glad you're back angie :totalhappy:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 21, 2011 5:17 am

angie wrote:i'm just happy i got to see rainn and ellen back together again. and the fact that the side kick raped the superhero is pretty epic. and damn, i seriously haven't posted on the message board in a LOOOOOONG time. haha
Hi Angie whose messages I see all the time in old threads but I never actually see :sayhi:. The movie was indeed very awesome, the rape scene was one of the most creative and daring scenes I've seen in a while. James Gunn really likes to push it, at the LA Premiere he told us that he was grateful that IFC let him do whatever he wanted, even though he admitted it was probably a really bad idea on their part :laugh: . He's one eccentric guy.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 22, 2011 2:40 am

Welcome back Angie!

Probably was not appropriate...I did laugh a lot during the "rape" scene. Most of the theatre I was at, did too....

Hey we also gave a standing ovation after SUPER played. Someone told me it was the only film at FL Film Feet to get one (of over 120 or so films)

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 22, 2011 3:17 pm

studnothin wrote:so just to reiterate, you actually see--as in everything visible within the shot--ellen page double clicking her mouse? i understand it's not exactly explicit, but female masturbation on screen can only be "simulated" insofar. hence my curiosity in just how far she went with it. man, i cannot wait to see this movie... alone.
Sounds like you're gonna pull a Pee-Wee-Herman in the theatre. :totallysick:

I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it, but I wanted to see Rainn's character show a little more growth. I know that by the end, his character really changes, but he doesn't seem phased by anything that's happened. He's a maniac killer still, and although he's at peace, I'm not sure that I am. Just my first impression.
The movie was a lot of fun to watch though. I really enjoyed the montage of him going through the streets when he first gets his weapon, and, of course, the last 20 minutes or so. Totally awesome.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

Skepsis93

Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Saw it last night! Oh my god... have to say I think this surpasses Juno for me. Magnificent.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Finally got a chance to see this. Woke up real early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I rented it On Demand, I definitely enjoyed it, some parts had me laughing out loud. The whole rape scene was awesome and disturbing at the same time. :) I was definitely not ready to see Ellen with half of her face blown off though.

I recorded it so I'll watch it a few more times at least.