SUPER discussion *possible SPOILERS*

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 22, 2011 7:32 am

Well at this point I think this discussion is limited to me and Glee, so it may be a bit early, but with it releasing around the nation shortly and soon to spread around the world I figured it might be time to start it up.

So to start off: totally worth the wait, some of Ellen's best acting work yet, and one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The biggest thing for me was that it had something not that many movies have today: a soul. It was truly a labor of love, everyone was pouring their heart into the project, especially James who behind or in front of the camera had a constantly tangible presence.

It was ridiculously intense so I might have to hold off a week before I see it again... which is evidently about how long until it comes out, so maybe I'll make my way to Santa Monica for April 1st.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

HeartHer wrote:So to start off: totally worth the wait, some of Ellen's best acting work yet, and one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The biggest thing for me was that it had something not that many movies have today: a soul. It was truly a labor of love, everyone was pouring their heart into the project, especially James who behind or in front of the camera had a constantly tangible presence.
I totally agree. The overall quality of the film given only a $2 million budget is astounding. Everyone truly believed in the project and James.

Some of my favorite scenes, in no particular order:
► Show Spoiler
I have a lot of thoughts about the ending, but I will hold off until I see the movie again on April 1.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 23, 2011 12:14 am

All great scenes... I'd love to discuss the final scene in more depth... but I too will hold off.

"They let me do whatever I want... which was a really bad idea but ok."
- Gunn talking about IFC at the LA Premiere :lol2:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 23, 2011 5:33 am

I am not afraid of spoilers :D Spoil away....for I will still see SUPER every chance I get. So good to hear about Ellen's performance.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 23, 2011 6:31 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:I am not afraid of spoilers :D Spoil away....for I will still see SUPER every chance I get. So good to hear about Ellen's performance.
Ahhh I don't wanna spoil it for you. But if you insist, the most major spoiler is:
► Show Spoiler
Yup :D . Big deal but not exactly an important spoiler just kinda gives away something that happens in the ending.

I can confirm that the movie is absolutely hysterical though, and that "icky" scene that's been mentioned is every bit as awesome as you could imagine :p.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 23, 2011 7:50 am

HeartHer wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:I am not afraid of spoilers :D Spoil away....for I will still see SUPER every chance I get. So good to hear about Ellen's performance.
Ahhh I don't wanna spoil it for you. But if you insist, the most major spoiler is:
► Show Spoiler
Yup :D . Big deal but not exactly an important spoiler just kinda gives away something that happens in the ending.

I can confirm that the movie is absolutely hysterical though, and that "icky" scene that's been mentioned is every bit as awesome as you could imagine :p.
you know what, i think i'd like to hear about that "icky" scene--details. in fact, if we could just designate an entire topic to discussing that particular scene, in depth, i think that would be a good idea. but anyway, what were you saying about the "icky" scene?
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 24, 2011 12:42 am

studnothin wrote:
HeartHer wrote:
► Show Spoiler

you know what, i think i'd like to hear about that "icky" scene--details. in fact, if we could just designate an entire topic to discussing that particular scene, in depth, i think that would be a good idea. but anyway, what were you saying about the "icky" scene?
► Show Spoiler

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 24, 2011 12:49 am

HeartHer wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 24, 2011 4:15 am

Glee Plane wrote:
HeartHer wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Yeah and thanks for correcting my incorrect quoting of it :laugh: . I think that'll be one of those scenes I'll just never forget, like Juno and Bleeker singing... although obviously I'll be remembering it for different reasons :lol2:.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 25, 2011 2:49 am

wait, so is it implied or do you actually see her simulating the act (i.e. full shot)? i'm guessing they used a medium; hand goes down out of frame resembling masturbation. mostly implied right? i mean she didn't actually plow the field?

so moving on. is there any way you can give a shot by shot breakdown of the scene? just pretend that you were the one writing all the blocking notes along with the shot descriptions.
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 25, 2011 3:02 am

studnothin wrote:wait, so is it implied or do you actually see her simulating the act (i.e. full shot)? i'm guessing they used a medium; hand goes down out of frame resembling masturbation. mostly implied right? i mean she didn't actually plow the field?

so moving on. is there any way you can give a shot by shot breakdown of the scene? just pretend that you were the one writing all the blocking notes along with the shot descriptions.
► Show Spoiler
Shot by shot? I don't know it was basically just what I said. I don't remember every shot by memory either.

CyberGhostface
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 02, 2011 5:50 am

So I just saw it today and I loved it. Ellen did a fantastic job and I really think this is one of her best roles. She stole the show and the entire audience loved her. I'd have to say Boltie is probably second only to Juno in terms of my favorite Ellen performances.
► Show Spoiler

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 02, 2011 7:43 am

A bunch of reviews are coming in. Getting reviewed about as I expected: mixed and no critics love it. Gunn definitely isn't the kinda guy to appeal to critics, his writing's a bit too obscene, but that's what's so great about it. Sorry if critics can't appreciate incredible profanity and violence as a legitimate means to make a good, creative movie, but we're loving it eh?

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for the spoiler info. Still cannot wait to see it....although somewhat disheartened that my idea of SUPER 2: Boltie's Boogaloo..... probably will not get off the ground :wink:

Only 14 days until I can see SUPER. Darn long wait

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 04, 2011 2:52 am

CyberGhostface wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 04, 2011 5:50 am

Glee Plane wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Okay now that it's released and the word SPOILERS is written in caps we can stop using Spoiler tags :p.

Ellen recently said in an interview that there's something clearly wrong with Libby, even before she reveals her socio/psychopathic side when she joins Frank. Her general demeanor is a bit messed up, she clearly wasn't all there. It only made sense that she'd die. She brought it entirely upon herself.

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Thanks for the spoiler info. Still cannot wait to see it....although somewhat disheartened that my idea of SUPER 2: Boltie's Boogaloo..... probably will not get off the ground :wink:

Only 14 days until I can see SUPER. Darn long wait
Hey, alternate reality films have done before :lol2: .

CyberGhostface
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 05, 2011 1:08 am

Yeah, I understand why she had to die in the narrative sense, I just found Boltie to be a very endearing and likable character even if she was a nutcase. I have a tendency to root for crazy people in fiction, though. :D

When she died the audience I was with gave a disappointed/sad "Awww...". The first thing my dad said after it ended was "I liked it but it would have been nice if they hadn't killed the sidekick like that." I guess Ellen just has that effect on people. :)

Either way, I hope Ellen takes more roles like this in the future.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

Well I think she nailed the role, but I don't see her doing anything too similar for a while. She likes to mix it up way too much to do something like this any time soon.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 06, 2011 12:33 pm

so just to reiterate, you actually see--as in everything visible within the shot--ellen page double clicking her mouse? i understand it's not exactly explicit, but female masturbation on screen can only be "simulated" insofar. hence my curiosity in just how far she went with it. man, i cannot wait to see this movie... alone.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Apr 07, 2011 5:06 am

studnothin wrote:so just to reiterate, you actually see--as in everything visible within the shot--ellen page double clicking her mouse? i understand it's not exactly explicit, but female masturbation on screen can only be "simulated" insofar. hence my curiosity in just how far she went with it. man, i cannot wait to see this movie... alone.
No but it's dead obvious what she's doing. It looks like she was really doing it, but just to keep it within reason it was through her tights.