Get the word out!

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Sorry if this an unnecessary topic, but since Super is gonna have to face the challenges of a low budget indie movie I figured as Ellen fans we should try to do the best we can to spread the news about her latest film.

If anyone posts in other forums I made a Super sig to try and get the movie a bit more attention. Really you'd be surprised at the number of people who check sigs, and if maybe just 10 people take a look at everyone's sig on a bunch of different sites and see the movie, it could really help them out.

It's not anything special so if anyone else has a better one share it. Maybe put this is in a sig with a bit of information about the cast, what it's about, when the premiere is, etc.

Again sorry if this isn't exactly a discussion starter, but I'm sure helping the movie out a little would be appreciated. Maybe they won't appreciate it directly but they'll appreciate the little extra money they earn for their hard work :lol2: .

By the way, if you're trying to spread the word and get people to see the movie, try to get people with a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife who might be interested. Double the number of people you get to see it ;) . For some reason I'm really intent on getting this movie better known, I really don't wanna see a box office flop, so I'm telling everyone about it. Think I'm doing a pretty good job, I convinced 3 more people to see it today :D .
Last edited by HeartHer on Aug 28, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice job! I guess we would have to personalize them a bit if there are multiple members on another board. I know there's a few of us on NolanFans who were/are following Inception.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 27, 2010 11:37 pm

JimH wrote:Nice job! I guess we would have to personalize them a bit if there are multiple members on another board. I know there's a few of us on NolanFans who were/are following Inception.
Thanks! As soon as some more stills from the movie come out I'll make some more so everyone doesn't have the exact same one.

By the way a good idea for text to add to your sig with this. Mention how Rainn Wilson is from The Office, how Ellen is from Juno and Inception, and how Kevin Bacon is from Animal House (minor role but looks good :p), Mystic River, etc. The more people affiliate Super and its cast with other movies they love the better it'll spread.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Nice idea :yellowhappy: SUPER will definitely have a hard time on the market. People are already comparing it to Kick-Ass, Defendor and every other recent superhero movie, though they haven't seen a single scene from James Gunn's movie yet. Furthermore, the cast isn't as popular as it used to be. Of course, there are a lot of people you like Ellen and watch every of her movies, but there are also still many haters or guys who think she plays Juno all the time. Rainn Wilson, in turn, is very well-known for being Dwight Schrute on "The Office" TV show and people enjoy his performance in this series. Does this also apply for his movies? I'm not so sure about that. Nathan Fillion did some great series ("Castle", "Firefly") as well, but he is no A-lister IMO. The only persons I don't worry about are Kevin Bacon and Liv Tyler.

Basically I approve your plan and like everyone else on this board I want to support the movie. But, at the same time, I sometimes ask myself, why should I support them [the director, the studios and companies, etc.] at all? Do I get anything in return? Over the past 6 months I tried to get in touch with James Gunn and Ted Hope in order to talk about a few things and offer my help in promoting their project - without success. Even now that the post-production is over, I haven't heard from them yet. Would Gunn approach me and say "Hey, you run a really awesome site on Ellen Page. Do you want to be the first one to post a picture of Libby/Boltie?" I don't think so. I bet he has never visited EPO and doesn't know what I did in the past in terms of promoting his movie. Actually he should be happy about every helping hand. Since he had barely enough money to make the film, there won't be a huge marketing campaign. It's up to the people to spread the word via the internet (Twitter, Facebook, websites...) or mouth-to-mouth propaganda. On the one hand every help is appreciated, on the other it looks like he doesn't want to do anything for it. Gunn once said on Formspring.me that he would love if the fan/websites dedicated to the actors involved in SUPER help him with promoting the movie. So why it is not possible to get in touch with him and get the latest information, photos, video clips and so on at first hand? Is that asking too much? This is how I see things. I'm sorry if I appear rude or disrespectful, but I'm quite disappointed with general "support" and "appreciation" I get for all my work here - especially from the filmmakers, companies and studios.

Besides, it's always diffcult [for a person like me] to support an independent movie like SUPER which plays at some film festivals, likely hits the US and Canadian theatres a few months later and finally comes out on DVD and Blu-ray around 1-2 years after the premiere while the fans in Europe can only wait and pray for a local distributor to pick it up some day :rolleye:

Anyway, here's my contribution to this thread. Nothing special, but it will serve the purpose.

There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Dom, I can certainly appreciate and understand how you feel.

I will try to do everything I can to support Super, but its not for James Gunn, who I couldn't care less about, I'll do it for Ellen, period.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Dominik Since he had barely enough money to make the film, there won't be a huge marketing campaign. It's up to the people to spread the word via the internet (Twitter, Facebook, websites...) or mouth-to-mouth propaganda.
I think he's only concerned about selling the movie to a distributor. If they make a few million on the sale they've made their profit and may not care how or if it's marketed and distributed. Then it's up to the distributor to try to make a profit in the cinemas - but these days who knows who will take it on. So many of the small independents like Fox Searchlight are gone.

Still as an Ellen fan I like to promote anything she does - just like JerseyDevil65, because.. you,know ... it's Ellen!! :happybigeyes:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Dominik wrote:Nice idea :yellowhappy: SUPER will definitely have a hard time on the market. People are already comparing it to Kick-Ass, Defendor and every other recent superhero movie, though they haven't seen a single scene from James Gunn's movie yet. Furthermore, the cast isn't as popular as it used to be. Of course, there are a lot of people you like Ellen and watch every of her movies, but there are also still many haters or guys who think she plays Juno all the time. Rainn Wilson, in turn, is very well-known for being Dwight Schrute on "The Office" TV show and people enjoy his performance in this series. Does this also apply for his movies? I'm not so sure about that. Nathan Fillion did some great series ("Castle", "Firefly") as well, but he is no A-lister IMO. The only persons I don't worry about are Kevin Bacon and Liv Tyler.

Basically I approve your plan and like everyone else on this board I want to support the movie. But, at the same time, I sometimes ask myself, why should I support them [the director, the studios and companies, etc.] at all? Do I get anything in return? Over the past 6 months I tried to get in touch with James Gunn and Ted Hope in order to talk about a few things and offer my help in promoting their project - without success. Even now that the post-production is over, I haven't heard from them yet. Would Gunn approach me and say "Hey, you run a really awesome site on Ellen Page. Do you want to be the first one to post a picture of Libby/Boltie?" I don't think so. I bet he has never visited EPO and doesn't know what I did in the past in terms of promoting his movie. Actually he should be happy about every helping hand. Since he had barely enough money to make the film, there won't be a huge marketing campaign. It's up to the people to spread the word via the internet (Twitter, Facebook, websites...) or mouth-to-mouth propaganda. On the one hand every help is appreciated, on the other it looks like he doesn't want to do anything for it. Gunn once said on Formspring.me that he would love if the fan/websites dedicated to the actors involved in SUPER help him with promoting the movie. So why it is not possible to get in touch with him and get the latest information, photos, video clips and so on at first hand? Is that asking too much? This is how I see things. I'm sorry if I appear rude or disrespectful, but I'm quite disappointed with general "support" and "appreciation" I get for all my work here - especially from the filmmakers, companies and studios.

Besides, it's always diffcult [for a person like me] to support an independent movie like SUPER which plays at some film festivals, likely hits the US and Canadian theatres a few months later and finally comes out on DVD and Blu-ray around 1-2 years after the premiere while the fans in Europe can only wait and pray for a local distributor to pick it up some day :rolleye:

Anyway, here's my contribution to this thread. Nothing special, but it will serve the purpose.

[ http://i37.tinypic.com/2u4k5lx.jpg ]

[ http://i34.tinypic.com/2vkj589.jpg ]
Nice sigs, having a few options will help everyone show off a bit more uniqueness.

I do agree, I don't care about James Gunn, but...

JerseyDevil65 wrote:Dom, I can certainly appreciate and understand how you feel.

I will try to do everything I can to support Super, but its not for James Gunn, who I couldn't care less about, I'll do it for Ellen, period.
Exactly that, it's a movie with Ellen in it and therefore I want it to succeed. As a bonus it has Rainn Wilson, who is hilarious, and Kevin Bacon who is extraordinarily talented. I'm supporting the actors, I'm glad James Gunn has put together such a great looking project, but the support I give it is mainly for the actors, specifically Ellen.

And Dom, every time you feel under appreciated, I'd suggest just taking another look at that article where Ellen specifically mentions you ;) . Suddenly it'll feel worth it again, at least I'd think it would.
Last edited by HeartHer on Aug 28, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 10:01 pm

BTW, thanks for those images guys, I will add them to my sigs on other boards.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 10:06 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:BTW, thanks for those images guys, I will add them to my sigs on other boards.
I took a screenshot of mine if you wanna just use this:

Actually the more packed it is the better, the harder it will be for everyone to ignore, so I'm including all 3 sigs, I just really like how Dom included the dynamite in the last one:

Thanks to Dom for the new ones, perfect to have a smaller one with more information. With the word SUPER and the icon appearing 3 times, with all the information about the movie, I think it'll be pretty hard to ignore this on forums :longtongue: .

Now to just hope I don't get moderated for spam on other sites :laugh: .

Well I'll be, this is my 200th post. That only took 38 days, I don't know if I should be proud or embarrassed that I reached this so fast, :sweating2: :totalhappy: .
Last edited by HeartHer on Aug 28, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Can I defend James Gunn please? He seems like a very awesome dude, with a lot on his mind at the moment so I don't really blame him for not talking to a lot of people. It's a guerilla-style project, meaning he finished the cut a few days/1 week ago so tbh, he's probably pretty exhausted. This movie is probably the biggest thing he's ever done so please forgive him for not being as open with fans who just want to help. I'm sure if you pester Mr Gunn enough you'll soon get a response out of him. A lot of people here are obsessed with Super for one reason and one reason only, that being Ellen's involvement but for me, in order it's:

1. Ellen's involvement (obviously ;) )
2. James Gunn (he's written some unbelievable stuff and I've become obsessed with every detail of how he made the movie, not just what happens and who's in it. He's pretty much my childhood hero.)
3. Rainn Wilson (he's friggin' hilarious and he needs a decent break.)

Sometimes we just have to be silent supporters and go ahead without acknowledgement, but just remember, they couldn't do it without our support.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 10:26 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Can I defend James Gunn please? He seems like a very awesome dude, with a lot on his mind at the moment so I don't really blame him for not talking to a lot of people. It's a guerilla-style project, meaning he finished the cut a few days/1 week ago so tbh, he's probably pretty exhausted. This movie is probably the biggest thing he's ever done so please forgive him for not being as open with fans who just want to help. I'm sure if you pester Mr Gunn enough you'll soon get a response out of him. A lot of people here are obsessed with Super for one reason and one reason only, that being Ellen's involvement but for me, in order it's:

2. James Gunn (he's written some unbelievable stuff and I've become obsessed with every detail of how he made the movie, not just what happens and who's in it. He's pretty much my childhood hero.)

Sometimes we just have to be silent supporters and go ahead without acknowledgement, but just remember, they couldn't do it without our support.
I don't think anyone's attacking Gunn, although Dom is understandably frustrated with how he's being ignored for all his hard work. We're just saying we are supporting the film for Ellen, not for Gunn. Sure if James Gunn had made this and Ellen wasn't in it I'd see it. But would I be making sigs for it? Would I be advertising it on forums not even related to movies? Probably not.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 28, 2010 10:34 pm

HeartHer wrote:
GiveHimTheKick wrote:Can I defend James Gunn please? He seems like a very awesome dude, with a lot on his mind at the moment so I don't really blame him for not talking to a lot of people. It's a guerilla-style project, meaning he finished the cut a few days/1 week ago so tbh, he's probably pretty exhausted. This movie is probably the biggest thing he's ever done so please forgive him for not being as open with fans who just want to help. I'm sure if you pester Mr Gunn enough you'll soon get a response out of him. A lot of people here are obsessed with Super for one reason and one reason only, that being Ellen's involvement but for me, in order it's:

I don't think anyone's attacking Gunn, although Dom is understandably frustrated with how he's being ignored for all his hard work. We're just saying we are supporting the film for Ellen, not for Gunn. Sure if James Gunn had made this and Ellen wasn't in it I'd see it. But would I be making sigs for it? Would I be advertising it on forums not even related to movies? Probably not.
Exactly, I understand the frustrated attitudes, hence my final line. :)

Also, I just wanted to get out my thoughts that I would be doing this even if Ellen wasn't in it.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Before anyone gets a wrong impression, I'd like to point out that it wasn't my intention to attack or offend James Gunn in any way. He seems to be a cool and easy going guy and I know Ellen loved to work with him. Furthermore I'm grateful that he took the whole production process to Twitter so everybody was able to get some early insights. What I wrote regarding support and appreciation applies to all directors/filmmakers/companies involved in the movies Ellen worked on.

Gunn posted this on Twitter, by the way:

More banners are coming soon!

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Dominik wrote:Before anyone gets a wrong impression, I'd like to point out that it wasn't my intention to attack or offend James Gunn in any way. He seems to be a cool and easy going guy and I know Ellen loved to work with him. Furthermore I'm grateful that he took the whole production process to Twitter so everybody was able to get some early insights. What I wrote regarding support and appreciation applies to all directors/filmmakers/companies involved in the movies Ellen worked on.

Gunn posted this on Twitter, by the way:

[ http://i34.tinypic.com/2dkj0o0.jpg ]

More banners are coming soon!
That's a nice way to put it, it's not like we dislike James Gunn, hell I love the guy for making this movie and putting Ellen in it to co-star with Rainn Wilson.

I think we're just saying we're doing this as Ellen fans. It's really neat of Gunn to respond this way to it though, exciting to see the site (and of course Dom) get recognition for a bit of help.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 1:07 am

HeartHer wrote:That's a nice way to put it, it's not like we dislike James Gunn,

I think we're just saying we're doing this as Ellen fans.
Yup.

I don't dislike him either. Heck, I'd never even heard of him until Super. :)

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 3:52 am

Count me in for spreading the word! I think positive word of mouth will be very important if the movie were to have success, so I will definitely do my part in telling friends, family, etc ;)

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 3:55 am

A bit more of a homemade ad than a sig or anything but I'm sure someone will find some use for it. Figured a bit more of facial recognition ("Hey that's the girl from Juno!", "Hey that's the guy from The Office!", etc) would be helpful to the case.

Would be nice if I could get Gunn's name on there somewhere, but I was already pushing making it too long. If someone wants to give it a shot go for it.

And I apparently have yet to get yelled at for advertising in my sig on other sites, so I guess they're good to go :D.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Guys, I'm also on a forum that doesn't allow image sigs, what can I do to promote Super over there? I made a thread about it several weeks ago but only a few people commented.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 29, 2010 2:56 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Guys, I'm also on a forum that doesn't allow image sigs, what can I do to promote Super over there? I made a thread about it several weeks ago but only a few people commented.
Just post a text link to the SUPER or TIFF website? Here are three new banners designed by myself:

Topic author
HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Dominik wrote:
GiveHimTheKick wrote:Guys, I'm also on a forum that doesn't allow image sigs, what can I do to promote Super over there? I made a thread about it several weeks ago but only a few people commented.
Just post a text link to the SUPER or TIFF website? Here are three new banners designed by myself:

Perfect I'll replace the bottom part of the ad with two of these.

*10 minutes later*

Done! Dom you actually wrote the "They're here to save the day or at least beat you up." part twice :p . No problem though just had to write black over it and voila:

Again not so much for sigs as it is to post somewhere to advertise a bit. Seriously a single spamming moderation on another site is worth getting the word out :laugh: .

Also, I'm sure someone here besides me and Dom has a knack for stuff like this. If you have the time step right up and show off your skills.