James Gunn Interview on "This Week in Movies"

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 24, 2010 12:31 am

James Gunn interviewed on "This Week in Movies #9" - at 49 minutes into the clip:
http://thisweekin.com/announcements/thi ... mes-gunn/#

James talks about "Super" at the 55 minute mark :yellowink:
Last edited by Dominik on Aug 24, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited subject ;)
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 24, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks for posting the video. I read about it on Twitter, too ;) It's an interesting interview with some background information which actually gives you the chance to get to know the guy behind "Super". Bummer that they don't have a distributor yet :disappointed:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 24, 2010 11:52 am

Haha pretty funny when he talks about how stressful it was actually. Usually you see actors, directors, producers, or whatever talking about how they love what they do and they have fun doing it, which is what Ellen always says. Then here comes James Gunn saying making a movie is "hellish" and stressful and with Super if anything at all went wrong they were basically screwed.

The movie isn't even in theaters and yet and I already can't wait for it to come out on DVD. Gunn mentioned how his assistant taped all the work with a little flip camera so they have tons of behind the scenes footage. Hopefully there's a good bit with Ellen in it, always wanted to see how she is on set. If my theory holds true, she'll be incredibly intense but a bit witty, since it seems that all reports I hear say she seems to have a similar attitude to her character on set.

I'm trying to spread the word about this one, I've got a lot of my friends interested. It's pretty easy since I can basically say "It's like Kick Ass but not as nerdy and a lot darker" and they're immediately interested. Then I mention Rainn Wilson, Ellen, and Kevin Bacon are in it, and they are suddenly hyped. Really wanna see this one do well, such a great cast, when Ellen being in it is just a bonus to an already amazing cast you know something's going right.
Dominik wrote:Thanks for posting the video. I read about it on Twitter, too ;) It's an interesting interview with some background information which actually gives you the chance to get to know the guy behind "Super". Bummer that they don't have a distributor yet :disappointed:
Have no fear, come the TIFF I'm sure someone will pick it up :agreeing: . No one looks at a movie starring Ellen Page, Rainn Wilson, and Kevin Bacon and says "Yup that looks like crap, no reason that we should pick that movie up."

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Didn't realise until now that he hadn't actually shown it to distributors yet, so I can say with confidence that it will find one. Well actually, based on the fact that 'Buried' a movie with Ryan Reynolds (what a douche :yellowink: ) buried underground for 80 minutes got worldwide distribution, I don't see how this amazing looking movie starring 3 of the biggest stars in America and the greatest person on earth wouldn't.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I have no doubt that this will find a distributor. I'm really looking forward to when it comes out!

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 24, 2010 4:44 pm

James refers to Twitter and Formspring in the interview. If anyone's not seen this yet, Dominik has compiled the "Super" related information from both these sources here: http://www.ellenpage.org/html/super.html

I think they make great reading to understand the reality of making movies :yellowink:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)