Super soundtrack

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

As Super is being completed in post-production some details of it's promising soundtrack are starting to come out in places like Twitter and James Gunn's website. This post is speculative at this point until the actual song list is released.

Producer Ted Hope made this comment today as they work on the sound in post:
I am not going to tell you too much about how SUPER sounds, but I will tell you it is the WETTEST soundtrack of any of my movies
Apparently the term wettest refers to the use of a lot of liquid type sound effects. It definitely sounds like a Gunn movie - we can only guess at the moment what the LIQUID effects will actually correspond to in the movie.

For reference, check out this trailer for "Slither" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j-y6B7UpQM

James Gunn has also recently stated on his website that he finally got one of the songs he was holding out for:
And, in other news, after a long struggle of trying to get a Cheap Trick song in SUPER on our very meager budget, Sony Music and EMI have both agreed to the smaller fee. So thank you Sony Music, EMI, and especially the great Cheap Trick for supporting independent cinema! It’s great to know that even in these huge conglomerates there can sometimes be kind individuals with big hearts!
Maybe it's this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th370QmFtk8, or maybe not.

As well, Rob Zombie is the "Voice of God" and maybe this one is in the mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0 ... e=artistob
james_gunn http://twitter.com/james_gunn

Cutting @RWZombie's voice into SUPER as the Voice of God! Typecasting, I know.
I think both the soundtrack and the movie are going to be awesome :D, but not for the faint of heart :yellowink:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

With Sony Music and EMI involved we could be looking at anything. But by the looks of things, James Gunn has really thrown himself into this project like nothing he's ever done before, so I'm feeling pretty safe about his choices. Also, he mentioned sometime ago via Twitter that there would be a score involved too.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Tyler Bates has written the score and James Gunn's girl friend Mia Matsumiya, from Kayo Dot, is playing violin on it.
A few of the many films he's scored are: Watchmen, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 300, Halloween (2007) and Slither. Some of his work can be heard here; http://www.tylerbates.com/

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm

The Watchmen score was really fantastic so now I'm like, SUPER hyped. :yellowink:
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm

James Gunn has a way with words (I've edited a little), via Twitter http://twitter.com/james_gunn
Sound mixing the last, ultra violent act of SUPER. We are going to skull :signcensored: the Toronto International Film Festival.
[Update] Update: 13/11/2010
Super tracklist from James Gunn on Formspring:
http://www.jamesgunn.com/formspring/
Hi James, I saw 'Super' at Sitges Film Festival and I really enjoyed it. Since then I've been promoting the film in my website and desperately looking for the tracklist. Could you help me that last issue? Thanks!

Okay, here you go - Calling All Destroyers - Tsar, The Lonely Ones - Aceyalone, Sick Clique - EKKO, Ain't Nothin' to It - Gregg Henry, Fake Fool - KHZ, Don't Touch Dead Animals - Kayo Dot, It Hurts Too Much - Eric Carmen, Speak Vernacular - The Icons, Starla - The Icons, The Hole - Rust for Luck, I Do - Jane Jensen and the Dolls, Here We Go - Copperpot ft. Pace Won, Now That I Can See - Couple, Stripes - J. Banks, God Knows My Name - Monster, Nobody Knows You Anymore - Terra Naomi, If You Want My Love - Cheap Trick, What It Was - Aceyalone, Born Under a Bad Sign- Moneybrother, Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White - The Nomads, Let Your Body Decide - The Ark, Potential - K Kutta & C.CL6, Parador - Wisely, God Knows My Name '11 - Moneybrother. Whew.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Nov 13, 2010 11:02 pm

That is so awesome. I was on that Formspring at the same time, got a lot of questions about the original draft of Scooby Doo answered and one about his intentions to work with Ellen again. He's a great guy for doing stuff like that.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 13, 2010 11:43 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:That is so awesome. I was on that Formspring at the same time, got a lot of questions about the original draft of Scooby Doo answered and one about his intentions to work with Ellen again. He's a great guy for doing stuff like that.

That's great - I'm going to go back and have a look for your questions and his answers.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Interesting soundtrack for Super. Looks like another one of Ellen's films soundtracks to get. And, he is using an old Cheap Trick song (big CT fan in High School....many years ago :D )