Super at the Toronto International Film Festival

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Some new information

official description

With the recent onslaught of superhero send-ups, it seems as though this premise has become somewhat of a genre unto itself. No stranger to rebel filmmaking, James Gunn cut his teeth writing for Troma before making his directing debut with 2006’s Slither. In a similar vein, his follow-up feature combines absurd humour with balls-out violence to create something that is both unashamed and inimitable. But this time Gunn adds a new ingredient, one that is dark, dramatic and subversive to the core.

When sad sack Frank D’Arbo (Rainn Wilson) sees his ex-addict wife (Liv Tyler) willingly snatched by a seductive drug dealer (Kevin Bacon), he finds himself unable to cope. But when the finger of God blesses his brain (don’t ask), D’Arbo decides to fight back under the guise of a DIY superhero called Crimson Bolt. In order to get his wife back, he must first fight his way up the criminal ranks, and he begins by taking a monkey wrench to the foreheads of a couple who cut in line at the movies. As Crimson Bolt begins to make the headlines, a young woman from the local comic book store (Ellen Page) joins in on the fun as his sexually charged sidekick, Boltie.

The cast is dead-on, with Wilson making the heroic leap to leading man status. Page and Bacon are equally impressive and self-effacing in their supporting roles; both say and do things you could never imagine and we could never print. Rounding out the cast are appearances from longtime genre icons Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Michael Rooker (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer) and Troma’s own Lloyd Kaufman.

While Crimson Bolt bears likeness to the Watchmen, Defendor and Kick-Ass, James Gunn has created what is perhaps the definitive take on self-reflexive superheroes. If this outlandish dark comedy is not the zenith of its breed, God help us from what’s to come. Whether you’re new to the graphic novel game or a seasoned fanboy, you will find SUPER to live up to its name.

screening times

Friday September 10 - 11:59:00 PM - RYERSON
Monday September 13 - 9:30:00 AM - VARSITY 8
Saturday September 18 - 6:00:00 PM - SCOTIABANK THEATRE 4

Wow, 11:59 PM is a very unsual time for a premiere. It looks like they want to make sure no kids are watching the R-rated movie :laugh:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sep 02, 2010 4:05 pm

The Friday September 10 11:59:00 PM showing at RYERSON Theatre is for SUPER's Midnight Madness program showing, as well as it's premier. As one of the movies in this program they are in the running for Cadillac People's Choice Midnight Madness Award.
http://tiff.net/thefestival/filmsandsch ... hoiceaward

So, anyone lucky enough to see SUPER's Midnight Madness showing also has a chance to vote for it.

If you would like to win a pair of tickets to Midnight Madness, just add a comment to this blog telling them which movie you'd like to see (SUPER of course :yellowink: ) and why.
http://www.cineplex.com/News/TIFFs-Midn ... rills.aspx
[Update] Check the contest rules - here's part of them: Contest is open to residents of the Greater Toronto Area who are over the age of 18. Prize includes a Midnight Madness (10) ten movie pack for (2) two people, worth approximately $320 CAD. The odds of winning are dependent on the number of total entries,
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Centrum Vitamins

Sep 03, 2010 7:53 am

I wanna see this movie so badd! It has two of my most favorite actors: Rainn Wilson and of course the lovely Ellen Page! >.< Curses!

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sep 04, 2010 12:05 am

SUPER is one of the films recommended to see at TIFF: A foolproof system for picking which films to see at TIFF*
by CTV in Canada:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... e=tiff2010

By: Josh Visser, CTV.ca News
Fortunately, I have an entirely foolproof system for picking which films to see at film festivals.*

Using an advanced, mathematical formula based on YouTube trailer availability, PR blurb use of the word "disturbing" and "visionary," Ain't It Cool News commenters' advice, and director career IMDB.com ratings, here are the 10 films I am looking forward to the most at TIFF 2010.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm

From all the reviews I've seen, it seems Ellen stole the show! :D I am exploding with enthusiasm.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Every review seems to say the same thing: the movie was good, but inconsistent and it didn't all work as a whole. Also that Ellen stole the show :veryexited: . As long as the movie is ANY good and Ellen steals the show, I'll eat it up. Hell I Downloaded a Ghost probably wasn't a good movie at all but I enjoyed it a lot because it was Ellen's first starring role, if Super is actually legitimately a good movie and she steals the show, I'll love it.

talkingraisin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sep 12, 2010 8:32 am

HOLY S**T I can't WAIT to see this movie. I was afraid of a disappointment, but all the reviews are raving about Ellen!!! This movie will be a treat to us Ellen Page fans.

As for the part about the inconsistency of the movie, well that's to be expected from a film made from almost nothing. I think this can instead be a selling point--sometimes people want rough, unpolished fun.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 12, 2010 9:18 am

talkingraisin wrote:HOLY S**T I can't WAIT to see this movie. I was afraid of a disappointment, but all the reviews are raving about Ellen!!! This movie will be a treat to us Ellen Page fans.

As for the part about the inconsistency of the movie, well that's to be expected from a film made from almost nothing. I think this can instead be a selling point--sometimes people want rough, unpolished fun.
And I speak for everyone here when I say, especially when said rough, unpolished movie involves our favorite Ellen :biggrin: .

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Sep 12, 2010 1:10 pm

BE WARNED: There's Q+A videos popping up everywhere. THEY CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.