Super @ San Diego Comic Con

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jun 14, 2010 9:44 pm

It's official! Director James Gunn has confirmed today that he will attend the San Diego Comic Con with Rainn Wilson and others (likely Nathan Fillion, Ellen may be busy with promoting Inception) to show the first footage (plus maybe a short trailer) and reveal the costumes.

Exact date: July 23, 2010 @ 1:00 PM
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 15, 2010 7:32 am

Dominik wrote:It's official! Director James Gunn has confirmed today that he will attend the San Diego Comic Con with Rainn Wilson and others (likely Nathan Fillion, Ellen may be busy with promoting Inception) to show the first footage (plus maybe a short trailer) and reveal the costumes.

Exact date: July 23, 2010 @ 1:00 PM
Good news! Especially since this has become a huge event. This will help Super get into the theatres.

Be nice if Ellen made the event. I think she will be filming "Tilda" around that time....maybe she can make a quick trip to San Diego,,,,hey its a beautiful city :D

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 25, 2010 2:56 am

I could be wrong but doesn't G4 cover the Comic Con? I'll have to check the TV listings just in case Ellen shows up.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jun 25, 2010 11:34 am

It looks as if Liv Tyler and Michael Rooker will join James Gunn, Rainn Wilson and Nathan Fillion on the SUPER panel at the Comic Con. No word about Ellen yet :rolleye:

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 17, 2010 12:08 am

Dominik wrote:
It looks as if Liv Tyler and Michael Rooker will join James Gunn, Rainn Wilson and Nathan Fillion on the SUPER panel at the Comic Con. No word about Ellen yet
Latest from James Gunn on Twitter:
@james_gunn
Ellen Page will be joining our Comic Con SUPER panel w/ me, @rainnwilson, Liv Tyler, & @nathanfillion Fri July 23 1 pm Hall H #sdcc Yay!
Yay! indeed :cheekygrin:
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jul 17, 2010 5:06 pm

So, apparently Ellen's character says "the f word" 22 times in the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing Ellen as a bad-ass superhero!
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 23, 2010 6:10 am

USA Weekend
http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/2010/07/ ... ro-movies/
Super: Kick-Ass was a con favorite last summer, but underperformed to many people’s opinions when it was released this spring. Perhaps the similar Super will catch on better, with Rainn Wilson as a guy who becomes a costumed crimefighter to win his beloved back from a drug dealer. Writer-director James Gunn teams up again with his Slither star Fillion, and all three will be among the panelists on Friday showing first looks at the movie.
Update
From James Gunn:
http://www.jamesgunn.com/2010/07/22/mee ... comic-con/
Sorry, guys, I’ve been incredibly busy lately trying to finish up SUPER, as well as working on another couple projects. This past couple weeks we’ve been screening a cut of the movie to all the stars and agents on the film and the reaction has been overwhelmingly, even shockingly, enthusiastic. It was so enthusiastic that Ellen Page will be joining us at our Comic-Con panel this Friday.
The info is as follows:

Friday, July 23
1 pm
Hall H

Panelists! -
Me (James Gunn)
Rainn Wilson (Frank D’Arbo/The Crimson Bolt)
Ellen Page (Libby/Boltie)
Liv Tyler (Sarah D’Arbo)
Nathan Fillion (The Holy Avenger)
Michael Rooker (Abe)
Ted Hope (Producer)
Miranda Bailey (Producer)

The panel will be moderated by my pal Ted Stryker of Loveline, Charm School, etc.

During the panel, we will show a rough trailer and an unfinished scene from the film.
If you want to get into Hall H I hear you should be there early because it gets filled up quickly. So come early! We need as many SUPER supporters as possible! Unlike almost every single other project in Hall H, we are an independent film, not a studio backed movie. Also, unlike most of those movies, this is a true passion project. Almost all of the folks who worked on it, including all the actors, worked on it for next to nothing, because it was something we all believed in.

Okay! I hope to see you guys there!!

Best,
James

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Any chance after the panel has finished someone can post a link to that rough trailer? Me being an internet noob it would take me days just to find it. :yellowhappy:
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jul 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Here's a first transcript of the panel:
1:01
Afternoon all. Sitting here in Hall H, waiting for the panel for the sci-fi superhero movie "SUPER." It stars Nathan Fillion, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Rainn Wilson and others. Plenty of seats available, and it seems they've let just about everyone who was in line into the Hall.

1:09
still waiting for the panel to begin.

1:20
Getting started now. Ted Striker, radio personality and the DJ on Ellen Degeneres' talk show is moderating.

1:21
He talks about how this movie is loaded with actors with strong credentials in the geek corner of the pop culture universe.

1:21
James Gunn is first up on the stage.

1:22
Here comes Rainn Wilson

1:22
Ms. Ellen Page gets a massive round of applause from the crowd

1:23
Liv Tyler gets a loud ovation as well

1:24
say hello to Nathan Fillion ....

1:24
and Michael Rooker, who just did the Walking Dead tv panel earlier today.

1:25
producers Ted Hope (Adventureland, among others, and Miranda Bailey also show up. Bailey had her iPhone out, taking pix of the audience

1:25
Director Gunn says he brought the first footage anyone has seen of SUPER, it's not even completed footage.

1:28
Crowd really enjoyed the trailer....now there's another clip they're showing

1:30
the clip they showed had Wilson in and out of costume. He plays a guy who turns himself into a costumed urban vigilante called the Crimson Bolt.

1:31
Gunn said he wrote the script for this film several years ago, before he made "Slither."

1:32
He said he waited to make it because he needed someone who could pull off the comedic elements of the story as well as the more serious parts of the film.
Wilson said he met Gunn through "The Office" co-star Jenna Fischer, who used to be married to Gunn.

1:33
Before he went on with the story, Wilson added that Fischer and Gunn had a 'friendly' divorce so there was no awkwardness. She recommended Gunn send Wilson the script for SUPER.
Wilson said his hands were trembling reading the script. "I just had to do this movie," he said.

1:33
Wilson said he was scrambling around Hollywood to raise money for the production, when he met Ted Hope.

1:34
the producer Hope said he heard about the script from reading Wilson's Twitter feed. He said Wilson had tweeted a comment about having a script 'for a low-rent Watchmen' or something.

1:35
"When Rainn got involved, I was really excited," said Gunn, "because he was perfect for the role."

1:36
Then he said he started thinking about other actors he wanted in the film, and he wanted Ellen Page. But he never thought he would get Page, coming off her Oscar nomination for "Juno," or Liv Tyler.

1:37
"We literally said we need an Ellen Page-type, and a Liv Tyler type," Wilson said.

1:38
Page said she's really proud to be part of the film. She referenced the one scene in "Juno" she did with Wilson (the convenience store 'Home slice' scene), and said "I feel really lucky to be part of this movie."

1:39
Tyler is asked to describe how different an experience making this film was, compared to previous big-budget work like "The Incredible Hulk," "Armageddon" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.
"I was literally shocked by how fast we worked," Tyler said. She added that she shot most of her part in a few days' time.

1:40
"ON this movie, we were literally doing 50 setups a day," Gunn said, pointing out that most big-budget films do 15 setups at the most, during a shooting day.

1:42
Tyler plays a drug addict in the film. Fillion asks her how she allowed someone to actually stick a needle in her foot for one scene. She said she didn't mind because it was a real nurse, and it was just water that they injected.

"If I were half the woman you were, I'd be twice the man I am," Fillion said.

Fillion said he recently saw a screening of the film, and said he was surprised by how strong and dramatic the material was.

1:43
Rooker said the first thing he asked the director was whether he got to kill anyone in the movie. When Gunn said no, "I went home and cried," Rooker said, laughing.

1:45
Rooker also said He and Wilson did a dance routine that may or may not make it to the movie at some point.
Kevin Bacon also stars in the movie, but the moderator points out he couldn't attend Comic-Con because The Bacon Brothers had a concert scheduled in Philadelphia

1:46
Producer Miranda Bailey said she really wanted to be a part of the project. "His {James} writing was so unique," she said.

1:47
Ellen Page is asked to describe her character, Libby. The trailer shows her to be someone who is a bit unstable, and wants to be The Crimson Bolt's teen sidekick. "She's a lunatic," Page said. "Libby is ready to kill someone if they key her car," she said.

1:47
Wilson said "Ellen really makes me laugh in this movie."

1:49
Wilson also jokes that he feels bad he dropped an F-bomb during the panel, since the sign on the stage mentions some in the crowd are under 18. "My 5 year old son is in the crowd," he mentions.

1:49
Audience Q & A time...

1:52
For those a bit in the dark about the plot of SUPER, the trailer indicates it's a story about a guy (Wilson) who loses his wife (Tyler) to drugs and a group of thugs, led by Kevin Bacon. That's what sets him on the path to create his own costumed persona, The Crimson Bolt. Scenes in the trailer and the clip they showed indicate Wilson's character is 'unstable,' to say the least.

1:53
Gunn says "it was a huge struggle to make this film."

1:54
Page said nearly all of her scenes for the film was with Wilson. "I adore him," she said. She said she has never even met Bacon because they had no scenes together. Page added that she barely spent any time on set with Tyler because they were barely in any scenes together.

1:56
Tyler : "I just thought it was a really beautiful kind of love story."

1:57
Wilson's Twitter following, currently at 1.7 million is brought up. Tyler joked that "he twitters during scenes sometimes."
Fillon, another popular Twitterer, also chimed in: "Rainn twitters too much."

1:58
Wilson says there are religious elements in the film, especially in regards to his character Frank, and how he sees his life fall apart and then he's forced to rebuild it.

1:59
Tyer called the shoot a "really quick, guerilla-style production. It was intense."

2:01
Asked about what kind of music will be on the soundtrack, Gunn said Rob Zombie gave him a song for almost nothing. "We have a lot of eclectic, underground rock in the film," Gunn said. He added that bands like Czar and Monster were really helpful.
Gunn also said he really wants Cheap Trick to cut them a deal on a song (unnamed) he wants in the film. Tyler also made an official plea to Cheap Trick to "please, please let us use this song for a small amount of money!"

2:03
Wilson gives Page a hard time for evading a question about which actor has been her most rewarding experience. She diplomatically answers that she's "Been very fortunate to work with many great people."

2:04
Wilson and Fillion then stage a fake fight on the stage. Fillion takes the fall, letting Wilson throw him to the ground.

2:06
Fillon asks Gunn if it's ok if he reveals his character's name. He gets permission, and reveals he is playing the Holy Avenger. "That's right. I've been looking to play a superhero on film, and now I've got one," he said.
"He's got the power of Cha-risma. Not Ka-risma. Cha-risma," Fillion said.

Gunn says the Holy Avenger is a character that Wilson's character sees on TV all the time, and beguns to emulate him.

2:06
Time to wrap up the panel.

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks for that. Looks like it should be fun. A little bit worrying if it gets too close to Watchmen or Kick-Ass thematically, but I'm sure it'll be great.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 23, 2010 11:48 pm

This is part of a report about Ellen's character that I liked:
Ellen Page plays Libby who becomes Boltie, the Crimson Bolt's sidekick. We see her trying to talk Frank into letting her join, doing kicks and rolling on the floor. Her costume is a green and yellow variation of Frank's, but with Kato-style mask instead of the Bolt's cowl.

There are a number of action shots, including a single shot of a costumed Fillion as The Holy Avenger, grinning and winking to the camera. The final shot has Boltie lighting a stick of dynamite and throwing it a man in a field of grass, completely destroying him in an explosion.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68205

Shades of "Hard Candy" - I can't wait :biggrin:

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Any chance after the panel has finished someone can post a link to that rough trailer? Me being an internet noob it would take me days just to find it. :yellowhappy:

Here's a small part of the panel session (no trailer video yet :disappointed: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ntf2UPn6Dc

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Been searching the internet for the trailer for almost an hour now and still nothing. I think I heard James Gunn say something like:

"We'll be at Comic Con with a raw trailer and an unfinished scene, but it won't hit the internet for a while afterwards."

So I guess we have to play the waiting game. I am literally shaking at the mere thought of this movie.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Another clip of the panel - this time Nathon Fillion talks about his Super character, The Holy Avenger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7ReBJczu4

And here's another YouTube video of the panel again - longer than the others with some good Ellen commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442ftswG3Ng

Recent clips of Q & A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9svU80rVcJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktS_TT8KNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaUGgIqVny8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIIRtMB9e8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewGK0a4TpC0
Last edited by JimH on Jul 27, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated: 27/07/2010