SUPER updates

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 24, 2011 8:45 am

@plexus

I'm glad you were able to accomplish your mission and get your poster signed by James Gunn. I would totally attend a SUPER screening in Stuttgart (the nearest city to my location which is part of the Fantasy Filmfest). But train + cinema ticket would cost me around 50 Euros (72 US-dollar) and I can't afford this money at the moment. Also, it's kind of illogical to pay such an amount for a movie which I've already bought on DVD and Blu-ray for less than 10 Euros in the UK. :rolleye:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 27, 2011 11:03 pm

I am not trying to troll, I am a big Ellen fan and love her in all her movies except this one but am I the only one who thought she was pretty bad in this? I think it was the writing and direction to be honest. It was such a sloppy script and James Gunn did not direct Ellen well.(I know this will not happen with Woody Allen). She just seemed really over the top and fake at parts. Just thought I would share in my honest 2 cents.
Last edited by jsmith11 on Aug 28, 2011 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 28, 2011 12:58 am

jsmith11 wrote:I am not trying to troll, I am a big Ellen fan and love her in all her movies except this one but I am I the only one who thought she pretty bad in this? I think it was the writing and direction to be honest. It was such a sloppy script and James Gunn did not direct Ellen well.(I know this will not happen with Woody Allen). She just seemed really over the top and fake at parts. Just thought I would share in my honest 2 cents.
Knowing the history of the movie - how cheaply it was made and just a few takes for each scene - I kind of cut the movie some slack. But maybe James was looking for an over the top performance any way. I guess I'm still waiting for another "Hard Candy" or even "Juno" performance out of Ellen but I agree - SUPER wasn't it.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 28, 2011 5:39 pm

SUPER happens to be possibly my favourite performance of Ellen's. Well 2nd favourite behind Hard Candy.

Yes she was over the top, but that was the point of Libby. That's how the character was written. It was Ellen as we've never seen her before, and she was insane.

But that's coming from a massive James Gunn fan. :D
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

jsmith11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 29, 2011 12:53 am

It's all good though I know Ellen will return to the top of her game working with Woody Allen.
Last edited by jsmith11 on Mar 20, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Aug 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Dominik wrote:Also, it's kind of illogical to pay such an amount for a movie which I've already bought on DVD and Blu-ray for less than 10 Euros in the UK. :rolleye:
It is. It's even more stupid to drive all the way to Brussels for that movie. ;) Especially if it's shown in germany half a year later. But I didn't know that then.

jsmith11 wrote:I am not trying to troll, I am a big Ellen fan and love her in all her movies except this one but am I the only one who thought she was pretty bad in this?
What's interesting to me is, she was both really good and pretty bad at the same time. But even in the weaker scenes she wasn't Megan Fox bad or Kristen Stewart bad. More like: James wanted me to go as far as I can and didn't slow me down bad.
Ok then ... let's blame James Gunn ;-)
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 30, 2011 9:33 am

plexus wrote:It is. It's even more stupid to drive all the way to Brussels for that movie. ;) Especially if it's shown in germany half a year later. But I didn't know that then.
Sometimes it's better to wait a little bit. :D However, I think you did the right thing, especially since SUPER won't get a general theatrical release here. I read in a recent article that it is supposed to go direct-to-DVD. :yellowcrying:
plexus wrote:What's interesting to me is, she was both really good and pretty bad at the same time. But even in the weaker scenes she wasn't Megan Fox bad or Kristen Stewart bad. More like: James wanted me to go as far as I can and didn't slow me down bad.
Ok then ... let's blame James Gunn ;-)
*off topic* I'm not going to disagree with you on the Megan Fox thing because her biggest talent seems to be her ability to just look good in every single scene :D. But I would not necessarily mention "Kristen Stewart" and "bad" in the same breath. Admittely, she did that teen soap opera called "The Twilight Saga", which didn't require a lot of acting. On the other hand, have you seen "Panic Room", "Speak", "Fierce People", "The Yellow Handkerchief" or "Welcome to the Rileys"? I think she is great in them - even though she plays a stripper in the latter that doesn't strip. :D :blink:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 31, 2011 7:24 am

Ellen's role in Super was supposed to be "over the top". There are not too many women who are comic book superhero geeks, so her Libby character already was going to be a little bonkers...and I guess a little gushy :D Ellen's performance in Super was one of her best.

sideburner

Sep 24, 2011 12:25 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:I need to get my hands on that US Best Buy release with the extra DVD, can anyone inform me of the easiest way possible to make this happen?
I ordered it from Bluraysforeveryone.com. Worked like a charm. But be aware that the BD is region A and the extra DVD is region 1 coded.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sep 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Some new, high resolution photos here:
http://www.cineblog.it/galleria/super-d ... -le-foto/1
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sep 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for the link, Jim! :thumbsup: :hug: :super: I will add them to the gallery asap.