SUPER updates

A dark, comedic, gritty and grounded superhero comedy

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 17, 2011 3:47 am

GiveHimTheKick wrote::D I can finally fulfil my life long dreams of seeing it again! I'll most likely have to go into London again but it's a price I'm willing to pay.
Life long? Are you 2 months old? :laugh:

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 27, 2011 12:14 am

New Release: Super on Blu-ray and DVD
By Laurence – 05/26/2011

Working class superhero comedy Super, starring Rainn Wilson (TV’s The Office), Liv Tyler (Armageddon), Ellen Page (Inception) and Kevin Bacon (Sleepers), will arrive on Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 9. IFC and distributor MPI have priced the discs at $29.98 and $24.98, respectively.

Written and directed by James Gunn (who sharpened his teeth at exploitation house Troma directing such movies as The Tromaville Café and a PSA for Sgt. Kabukiman), Super introduces us to a pathetic loser by the name of Frank (Wilson). A sad-sack short-order cook, Frank watches hopelessly as a slick drug dealer (Bacon) snatches away his ex-junkie wife (Tyler).

Initially unable to act on the situation, Frank decides to fight back in the guise of a costumed superhero (he makes the costume himself!) by the name of Crimson Bolt. Clad in his homemade togs, armed with an oversized wrench and assisted by a wacky sidekick cleverly named Boltie (Page), Crimson Bolt sets out to save his wife, while taking on crime in the mean streets of his beloved town.

The film premiered on video-on-demand in April and had a limited release in theaters that has rung up over $300,000 as of mid-May.

No special features have been officially announced for the Blu-ray or DVD yet.

Source: http://www.discdish.com
Concerning the special features, we've already learned via FormSpring.me that the Blu-ray (and maybe the DVD as well) will include an audio commentary by director James Gunn and leading actor Rainn Wilson, plus some behind-the-scenes footage from the set in Shreveport, Louisiana.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 27, 2011 2:07 am

From James Gun on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/JamesGunn/status/ ... 5878433792
JamesGunn James Gunn
As for Canada, E1 is distributing SUPER. For the U.K., it's G2. I have no idea what their plans are, guys, you have to ask them. Sorry!
16 minutes ago
»

JamesGunn James Gunn
SUPER will be on Blu Ray and DVD in the U.S. on August 9th. Tons of special features, deleted scenes, commentary by me & @rainnwilson, etc.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

May 27, 2011 12:32 pm

HeartHer wrote:
GiveHimTheKick wrote::D I can finally fulfil my life long dreams of seeing it again! I'll most likely have to go into London again but it's a price I'm willing to pay.
You know what I mean. ;-)

And this DVD business is good. Ideally I'd buy the blu-ray but I wouldn't be able to play it, so I'll get the DVD imported and I'll get the blu-ray when it's released in the UK. $25 seems a little steep though?
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 27, 2011 11:24 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:
HeartHer wrote:
You know what I mean. ;-)

And this DVD business is good. Ideally I'd buy the blu-ray but I wouldn't be able to play it, so I'll get the DVD imported and I'll get the blu-ray when it's released in the UK. $25 seems a little steep though?
$25 for a Blu-Ray is cheap in the US, usually I have to pay $30 for those bad boys.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 30, 2011 1:22 am

That's great news, August 9th can't get here fast enough!

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Art work for the upcoming SUPER Blu-Ray from http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=61927:

Last edited by Dominik on Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed preview image, hotlinking isn't allowed

CyberGhostface
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 02, 2011 12:45 am

I love that Ellen's on it but Liv seems out of place imo. Maybe if Kevin and Nathan were there there as well it might look better.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jun 15, 2011 12:14 am

Love that cover.

Also you can get SUPER t-shirts in both The Crimson Bolt and Boltie over at redbubble.com

http://www.redbubble.com/people/loogyhe ... imson-bolt

http://www.redbubble.com/people/loogyhe ... 914-boltie

So pleased to hear of the UK blu-ray release on August 1st, a week before the US release. Already pre-ordered my copy. Should work on German players too.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jun 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Woot woot! A SUPER screening takes place in germany! :totalhappy:
Even though I drove all the way to Brussels to see it, I'll probably be there to see it on the big screen again. I mean, Berlin, it's just a two hour ride.

http://www.fantasy-filmfest.com/filme/Super.html

Hey, to the germans here: How about to team up for one of the screenings?
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jun 23, 2011 4:17 am

For Canadian fans, SUPER will be out on DVD and Blu-Ray on August 9th. I've just pre-ordered from Amazon. ca :D
http://www.amazon.ca/Super-Blu-ray/dp/B ... 793&sr=8-1

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jun 25, 2011 11:17 am

Can't believe in the UK we get it a week before on August 1st. I've already pre-ordered my blu-ray! Also SUPER's UK theatrical run starts July 8th, showing in (what seems to be, according to the website) only 9 locations, with my local cinema being one of them.

I am beginning to believe in karma. :D

CyberGhostface
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 25, 2011 6:05 am

For those that are interested, in the US Best Buy will be selling a version that comes with an extra DVD that has additional special features on it.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 03, 2011 3:17 pm

I got my UK blu-ray edition yesterday and despite months of waiting, I'm a tad disappointed that we don't get all of the special features. The UK edition features the movie (duh) the trailer (which I've already committed to memory) and a rather excellent (but painfully short) behind the scenes documentary.

I need to get my hands on that US Best Buy release with the extra DVD, can anyone inform me of the easiest way possible to make this happen?

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

News about the german screenings.

There are ten screenings in seven cities:

B / 20 AUG / 16.45 UHR / CINEMAXX 7
HH / 21 AUG / 19.00 UHR / CINEMAXX 1
HH / 22 AUG / 23.45 UHR / CINEMAXX 4
F / 27 AUG / 19.15 UHR / METROPOLIS 8
K / 28 AUG / 19.15 UHR / CINEDOM 9
N / 30 AUG / 21.30 UHR / CINECITTA' 3
N / 31 AUG / 15.00 UHR / CINECITTA' 3
M / 03 SEPT / 21.30 UHR / GLORIA PALAST
S / 04 SEPT / 19.15 UHR / METROPOL 1
S / 05 SEPT / 15.00 UHR / METROPOL 1

At the screening in Berlin, James Gunn will be there as a special guest. :D
I'll be there too, and if the SUPER-Poster I ordered will arrive in time, I hope I'll get the chance to get it signed.

More here: http://www.fantasyfilmfest.com/filme/Super.html

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 12, 2011 9:26 pm

plexus wrote:News about the german screenings.

There are ten screenings in seven cities:

B / 20 AUG / 16.45 UHR / CINEMAXX 7
HH / 21 AUG / 19.00 UHR / CINEMAXX 1
HH / 22 AUG / 23.45 UHR / CINEMAXX 4
F / 27 AUG / 19.15 UHR / METROPOLIS 8
K / 28 AUG / 19.15 UHR / CINEDOM 9
N / 30 AUG / 21.30 UHR / CINECITTA' 3
N / 31 AUG / 15.00 UHR / CINECITTA' 3
M / 03 SEPT / 21.30 UHR / GLORIA PALAST
S / 04 SEPT / 19.15 UHR / METROPOL 1
S / 05 SEPT / 15.00 UHR / METROPOL 1

At the screening in Berlin, James Gunn will be there as a special guest. :D
I'll be there too, and if the SUPER-Poster I ordered will arrive in time, I hope I'll get the chance to get it signed.

More here: http://www.fantasyfilmfest.com/filme/Super.html
And here's James' latest Tweet:
JamesGunn James Gunn
Hey Germans! I'll be showing SUPER in Berlin on Aug 20 & in Hamburg on the 21st at the Fantasy Film Fest. See you all there!

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Aug 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Hoooooray.

Im so excited. :grooving:

On saturday I was at the Fantasy Filmfest in Berlin for the german premiere of SUPER.
Even though I knew James Gunn would be there, I had never expected he would sit in the theater two rows right in front of me. :totalhappy:

The poster I ordered arrived just in time to take it with me to try and get it signed.
And I got it! :hyper:

James was cool, after the movie he went up to the stage for a first short Q&A with the whole audience. The best question was why the tentacles were quite penis shaped. His response: "I think they were tentacle shaped. But aren't all tentacles in some way quote unquote penis shaped? Except for the thingy at the tip."

After that he went to the "lounge" for another Q&A. I didn't attend that because I got my poster signed in the theater already.
I left for spare ribs. :)

Haha, thanks Dominik, your tweet come's right on time! http://yfrog.com/ke4msxj
(I'm the guy at the top/center of the picture, leaning forward)

I know, it's pretty heavy on smileys - sorry, couldn't help it.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, looks like you had an awesome time! :D

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 24, 2011 12:38 am

Sounds awesome plexus! One day he'll come to London, and I'll be all over him like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure.

The spreading the word of the film is going well too. I just showed 3 of my friends and my brother and they promised to tell their families and friends too.

Also in the latest Doug Loves Movies podcast with James Gunn and Steve Agee, Doug mentioned a campaign to get Ellen nominated for an Oscar for her role as Libby. :totalhappy:

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 24, 2011 6:26 am

So cool to hear all the nice news for SUPER....oh and I would get all gushy if Ellen got an Oscar nomination for SUPER :D