Inception Sequel?

Christopher Nolan's thriller about the architecture of the mind

Topic author
Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 24, 2010 3:00 pm

http://www.nolanfans.com/2010/10/22/war ... on-sequel/
“…Warner Bros wants another Inception – as in sequel. Doesn’t make a lick of sense creatively, but financially? well… it made ”a lot” of money for them. Can’t imagine Nolan wanting to do a sequel, let alone direct one. Also don’t imagine Jeff would want to piss off Nolan by doing one around him. All interest is on the studio side at this stage. We shall see comrade…”
What are your thoughts about this?

My first reaction is against this idea because Inception is almost perfect as a standalone film. However, the Inception universe has so much potential that I think it would be plausible to make another film without ruining the original. And of course the possibility of a sequel means the possibility of Ellen's character returning, which I wouldn't mind at all. :cheekygrin:

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Oct 24, 2010 6:44 pm

There's also a recent \Film article on this: http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/22/war ... uel-ideas/
A report has surfaced stating Warner Brothers wants to make a sequel to Inception. In other news, Fox would allow James Cameron to make another Titanic and Universal would really like it if Steven Spielberg made another E.T. Hey Quentin! Miramax would totally love you to make Pulp Fiction 2! George, let’s make a prequel to Star Wars! Oh, wait...................
I agree with "Viso Trailers" in the Comments:
The obvious sequel choice would be Arthur and Ariadne working together as the new dream team...
On the other hand, I'd be happy to see Ellen and JGL working together in anything, not necessarily an Inception sequel.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Oct 24, 2010 7:05 pm

An Inception sequel would make me cry. A lot. It's the sort of film like Tron, where they would leave it as a classic, standalone amazing movie, then in 20 years attempt to make a sequel. Of course I couldn't say no if Ellen was in it, but I just would disagree with the concept.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 25, 2010 12:42 am

The thing about doing a sequel (and the new video game that was announced) is that it takes away one of the big things the movie had going for it: Was Cobb dreaming or not? If there's a sequel, the answer is almost certainly "No". Unless Cobb has a series of dreams with recurring themes and characters, but even then, it would be much too confusing. It would take the mystery out of Inception.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 25, 2010 1:35 am

Something makes me think Ellen wouldn't go back for a sequel unless Nolan wrote an absolutely stunning screenplay she couldn't refuse. Just doesn't seem her style to go back into working with an IP that is already perfect standalone. A sequel would likely ruin it.

So unless there's something really amazing I'm hoping Ellen stays away. I have a feeling Chris Nolan will want to work on other stuff anyway.

Topic author
Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 26, 2010 6:38 pm

I do agree that if a sequel ever happens, Chris Nolan is the only writer/director that can make it work. The potential is basically limitless given his creative mind and talent. The key question is whether he has the interest to do it.

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Oct 27, 2010 2:40 am

Each of Nolan's films outside of the Batmans are really diverse and unique. Inception isn't from a pre-established franchise of content so it seems unlikely that there'll be a sequel. And he had been planning it for a very long time beforehand too as it was to be the film that he was unlikely to ever make as he didn't think he would be able to get enough funding to do it justice.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 27, 2010 2:46 am

Noodle wrote:Each of Nolan's films outside of the Batmans are really diverse and unique. Inception isn't from a pre-established franchise of content so it seems unlikely that there'll be a sequel. And he had been planning it for a very long time beforehand too as it was to be the film that he was unlikely to ever make as he didn't think he would be able to get enough funding to do it justice.
Well I think the deciding factor in if there will be a sequel is this: Does Chris Nolan technically own the intellectual property? Or could Warner Bros. take the IP and have someone else work with it legally?

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Oct 27, 2010 2:48 am

True, but I think that due to his success with the Batman films that he will have been able to keep creative control of the property

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 27, 2010 7:22 am

If the Nolan's are willing....I could go for an Inception sequel. Though, a sequel may be just a dream :D

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 27, 2010 10:32 am

Noodle wrote:True, but I think that due to his success with the Batman films that he will have been able to keep creative control of the property
If he retains full control of the IP I don't see a sequel in the works, The Dark Knight worked naturally as a sequel, since Batman Begins served as a prequel to Batman in general a follow up only made sense. A follow up to Incepiton makes about as much sense as a sequel to Memento and I don't think it's something would do. If I'm not mistaken he thinks of Inception as his sort of masterpiece, apparently he had it written years ago and only postponed making it because he wanted to first "practice" with bigger movies like The Prestige and the two Batmans before doing what he really wanted to do exactly the way he wanted to. I doubt he'd risk spoiling his masterpiece.
Last edited by HeartHer on Oct 28, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Oct 27, 2010 2:12 pm

The way the articles read seem to think Nolan would drop to Producer. :uhoh:
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 27, 2010 10:03 pm

I don't think Nolan or Page see any direct benefit other than money. If there's a sequel I lose all respect for Nolan. Even if the movie is passed on to another director/writer..it will be awful.

Donnie Darko is an awesome film. Directed by Richard Kelly. The property rights were sold off to some lame director and hideos writer.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Oct 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Yeah, Nolan's getting into Batman 3 now so I don't see it happening soon. 'The Dark Knight Rises' with Tom Hardy! Can't WAIT!