Inception Interviews (possible SPOILERS)

Christopher Nolan's thriller about the architecture of the mind

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 09, 2010 1:34 am

Did anyone else feel the interviewer for Movies.ie was being kind of insulting in this interview with Ellen and Joe? I couldn't really tell what the interviewer was saying, but Joe seemed to elegantly threaten the guy towards the end :mad2:

http://www.ellen-page.net/video/intervi ... l2010.html
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Aug 09, 2010 3:05 am

Basically, the guy tried to be funny and more memorable than other interviewers.

Going "off-script" during a junket might be frowned upon, but there weren't actually any hard feelings here. Friendly banter always runs the risk of misinterpretation, especially between strangers...

At least he'd be proud to know, he managed to make his interview the subject of discussion...

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 09, 2010 3:12 am

Bifrons wrote:At least he'd be proud to know, he managed to make his interview the subject of discussion...
Yea - I get what you're saying. This was one of the interviews that stuck with me, and not because of what it revealed about the actors or Inception. So whatever he did he got my attention even if it was negative.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 09, 2010 6:50 am

What would have been original is JGL cold-cocking the dude.....this interviewer was an arse.

Asking Ellen about immigrating to Canada? There are better questions to ask her....jeez

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am

My main internet network is failing and I barely have connection so I can't load the video, but it sounds like he was asking Ellen about immigration in Canada... sounds like it could be distasteful and offensive at worst, off-topic and a bit awkward at best. More when I can actually see it.

Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm

He tried to think out of the box a bit with some unusual questions, yet on some of them the accent failed him and we heard the same answers we've all heard before. I liked the interviewer.
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I think the interviewer dude pretty much cocked up. By then both Ellen and Joe would have done about a million and one interviews, so when you're faced with some douchey irish bloke who starts vaguely offending you, it must have been difficult to stay cool. Elllen was amazingly calm and Joe seemed to be, not sure whether the whole "we can go outside" comment was real or not but hey, it was a weird one.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Aug 10, 2010 3:05 pm

This guy is from Ireland. So what are you expecting? :laugh: He has probably never seen a Canadian girl before :dielaughing: Furthermore, this wouldn't be the first journalist that thinks Ellen is an "American actress", which might be the reason for the Canada question :dead:

But it looks like Ellen and Joe were cool with it, otherwise the interview won't have find its way to the net. I'm sure representatives of Warner Bros. observe every interview and won't allow their stars to have totally inappropriate conversations :squint:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Finally got my internet up so I watched it, just to find out I watched this weeks ago :lol2: . Hmmm it seems a bit weird. I don't think he's really being a jerk he's just trying to stand out and ask some fresh questions, he just didn't choose what to talk about very well and on the spot he didn't always choose the best words. I guess he's just not very good at making choices or something. Asking Ellen if she's really Canadian then trying to crack some joke about some guy being married to his sister, I could see the attempt to be humorous but it just kinda fell flat and all he got was a "What the hell?" smile from Joe and a kinda nervous laugh from Ellen. Could kinda see on Ellen's face that it was a little bit uncomfortable and weird. The guy had a heavy accent and he sounded like some stoned musician so I couldn't make out what he was saying half the time either.

Loved when Joe joked and challenged him to "take it outside" and the guy told everyone to get the cameras outside, that kinda ended the interview on a better note than it would've. Don't like how he implied that Inception might just be a load of crap at the beginning though, like Joe said it's a pretty tight story. Since I watched an interview of him with Ellen and now I'm thinking, off-topic: who saw Joe's other recent movie (500) Days of Summer? Fantastic, I have a feeling most Ellen fans would like it, just for those who haven't.

GiveHimTheKick wrote:I think the interviewer dude pretty much cocked up. By then both Ellen and Joe would have done about a million and one interviews, so when you're faced with some douchey irish bloke who starts vaguely offending you, it must have been difficult to stay cool. Elllen was amazingly calm and Joe seemed to be, not sure whether the whole "we can go outside" comment was real or not but hey, it was a weird one.
Yeah I had to watch that part about 5 times to catch what was going on, but Joe seemed to be trying to lighten up a little since the whole interview had been a little awkward. I don't see anything that could've been majorly offensive, just a little thing here and there where I thought "Hmmm maybe he shouldn't have said that." I guess you said "vaguely offending" for a reason but yeah, I think he's just a mediocre interviewer, he didn't get any real information.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 03, 2010 1:14 am

I thought I'd seen all the Inception interviews out there but I just came across a new one on YouTube today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOzv3LQvOA

There's even German sub-titles if you need them :yellowink:

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 03, 2010 8:17 am

JimH wrote:... but I just came across a new one on YouTube today:

Once again, this really makes me feel sad. I mean, have you seen the slight watermark on the top of the video at 0:07? Guess where this video was taken from. :disappointed:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

Dominik wrote:
JimH wrote:... but I just came across a new one on YouTube today:

Once again, this really makes me feel sad. I mean, have you seen the slight watermark on the top of the video at 0:07? Guess where this video was taken from. :disappointed:
I know you said you've kind of just learned to deal with the fact that these people just take your videos... but I demanded that they credit you :p. It'd piss me off if I saw people taking videos I'd spent hours finding and uploading slapped all over YouTube with no credit, so I'd like to see them at least credit you in the description.