Spoilers within

Christopher Nolan's thriller about the architecture of the mind

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 1:28 pm

HeartHer wrote:This may also just be me and how much I pay attention to music in movies, but was the music all the way up to the end just a bit too hopeful and happy for the ending to not be reality? The way it ends on a major key makes it hard to believe that it's not. If it hadn't been reality I'm pretty sure it would've ended with much more discord, two contradictory minor notes.

Again it might just be me, but it makes sense in my head.
I think Christopher Nolan leaves clues for multiple interpretations of the movie, and the ending music was no different. I could hear both happiness and sadness at various points, so it could go either way.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Glee Plane wrote:
HeartHer wrote:This may also just be me and how much I pay attention to music in movies, but was the music all the way up to the end just a bit too hopeful and happy for the ending to not be reality? The way it ends on a major key makes it hard to believe that it's not. If it hadn't been reality I'm pretty sure it would've ended with much more discord, two contradictory minor notes.

I think Christopher Nolan leaves clues for multiple interpretations of the movie, and the ending music was no different. I could hear both happiness and sadness at various points, so it could go either way.
I could hear emotional moments in the ending theme, perhaps a bit melancholy, but the whole song was in a major key, there's no doubt about that. It sounded more like triumphant music than anything.

What'd be funny is if Christopher Nolan was just sitting in his massive house, raking in the dough, and just reading all these interpretations online and all these different "clues" we're talking about, and just laughing and thinking "Wow these people think way too hard!" :lol2: .

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 28, 2010 11:06 pm

^^^ That wouldn't surprise me. Also, if you want to re-listen to the end track, I think it's 'Time' by Hans Zimmer. If not that one, then it's 'Paradox' but I'm pretty sure it is 'Time'. It does indeed sound very triumphant and epic.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 28, 2010 11:29 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:^^^ That wouldn't surprise me. Also, if you want to re-listen to the end track, I think it's 'Time' by Hans Zimmer. If not that one, then it's 'Paradox' but I'm pretty sure it is 'Time'. It does indeed sound very triumphant and epic.
Thank you. As a big music fan I might have to analyze some of the music and see what goes on during it :p. I took a music appreciation class at school and you'd be amazed how much soundtracks reveal before stuff even happens. If you just stop watching and just listen you can almost always figure out what's going on.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 3:31 am

HeartHer wrote:
Glee Plane wrote:

I could hear emotional moments in the ending theme, perhaps a bit melancholy, but the whole song was in a major key, there's no doubt about that. It sounded more like triumphant music than anything.

What'd be funny is if Christopher Nolan was just sitting in his massive house, raking in the dough, and just reading all these interpretations online and all these different "clues" we're talking about, and just laughing and thinking "Wow these people think way too hard!" :lol2: .
Also, even if someone has the dream-as-ending interpretation, the ending can still be triumphant since Cobb is still with his kids and no longer feels guilt. Wow the more I think about this movie the more awesome and amazing it becomes :D

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 29, 2010 4:55 am

Glee Plane wrote:
HeartHer wrote:
Glee Plane wrote: I think Christopher Nolan leaves clues for multiple interpretations of the movie, and the ending music was no different. I could hear both happiness and sadness at various points, so it could go either way.

Also, even if someone has the dream-as-ending interpretation, the ending can still be triumphant since Cobb is still with his kids and no longer feels guilt. Wow the more I think about this movie the more awesome and amazing it becomes :D
But the thing that bugs me... say Cobb is still dreaming and the ending was not reality. I am 99% sure it is reality, but on that 1% it isn't, then there wasn't even an ending. Think about it, really if that was still some level of dream or limbo, he will wake up to the real world eventually. It could be in 10 seconds, 10 minutes, 10 hours, 10 days, 10 weeks, 10 years, 100 years, or 1,000 years of felt time, but he would wake up eventually. It's a bit weird, even if that was a dream at the end the real ending when he woke up would be very similar. So regardless I think we witnessed the ending after he woke up.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Aug 29, 2010 2:24 pm

HeartHer wrote:
GiveHimTheKick wrote:^^^ That wouldn't surprise me. Also, if you want to re-listen to the end track, I think it's 'Time' by Hans Zimmer. If not that one, then it's 'Paradox' but I'm pretty sure it is 'Time'. It does indeed sound very triumphant and epic.
Thank you. As a big music fan I might have to analyze some of the music and see what goes on during it :p. I took a music appreciation class at school and you'd be amazed how much soundtracks reveal before stuff even happens. If you just stop watching and just listen you can almost always figure out what's going on.
Exactly, just listening to the score alone I feel like I'm watching a condensed version of the movie in my head.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aug 29, 2010 10:02 pm

There's probably a lot of these around, but this YouTube Inception Ending: Analysis by WTF video has some of the same discussions we are having:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276jminU ... grec_index
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 30, 2010 12:21 am

JimH wrote:There's probably a lot of these around, but this YouTube Inception Ending: Analysis by WTF video has some of the same discussions we are having:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276jminU ... grec_index
Maybe we all need to have our own video chat to make a video to analyze the ending :p .

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Sep 25, 2010 3:22 pm

I've found some new information in the current October 2010 issue of "Cinefex".
Cobb remains in limbo long enough to rescue Saito, successfully concluding the inception. The film closes with Cobb returning to his family home, where he spins a tiny spinning top - a totem he employs throughout the film to gauge the reality of his surroundings. If the totem responds to gravity and falls, the word is real. "It was a practical spinning top," Paul Franklin commented. "We had planned to do a lot of visual effects to keep it going, because we didn't think they'd be able to keep the top spinning long enough. But the little prop was made out of pewter, so it was quite heavy - and once spun, it kept going for a long time."

Source: page 68
With this in mind, I believe Cobb and Saito actually successfully escaped limbo and the top was supposed to wobble at the end of the movie, which means Cobb was definitely back in reality!
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 27, 2010 8:00 am

Great find in Cinefex, Dom :super: I think we can pretty much be certain that Cobb and Saito were back in reality

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 27, 2010 9:47 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Great find in Cinefex, Dom :super: I think we can pretty much be certain that Cobb and Saito were back in reality
I think saying anything is certain destroys part of the purpose of the film, which is an ambiguous ending, open to interpretation. I do lean 99% to the ending being reality, but I don't let the 1% chance slip my mind.