Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Feb 06, 2011 3:21 am

News from Nikki Finke: http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
2011 Writers Guild Awards: Christopher Nolan Wins For 'Inception',
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Inception, Written by Christopher Nolan; Warner Bros.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 06, 2011 5:26 am

Congratulations to Chris Nolan, definitely well-deserved! Let's hope this is a good sign for his chances of winning the Academy Award for original screenplay as well. :totalhappy:

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Feb 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Inception also won at the 15th Annual Arts Directors Guild Awards last night, again from Nikki Finke:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/15th-an ... lack-swan/
WINNER FOR EXCELLENCE IN PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A FEATURE FILM IN 2010:

Fantasy Film

INCEPTION
Production Designer: Guy Hendrix Dyas
Contemporary Film

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I get Rolling Stone magazine for some reason I can't remember (came free with... something or rather), and in their Oscars prediction they named the lack of a nomination for Nolan as Best Director as "the biggest snub of the Oscar season." They also cited the lack of any nomination for DiCaprio considering he gave amazing performances in both Shutter Island and Inception as one of the other biggest snubs.

Looks like it's as we all thought, the Academy is behind on the times and can't understand modern greatness. They only award movies that fall into the traditional realm of great movies. Luckily if The Social Network wins best picture (as it probably will) it will show a slight departure from typical Oscar winning fare. Inception being nominated for best pic is a good sign as well, although it doesn't seem to have a chance. The biggest letdown for a win would be The King's Speech. As much as I love that movie (as much as Inception and The Social Network), it'd be a shame to see it win over new and innovative films, not because it wouldn't deserve it, but because it would show that the Academy still favors old fashioned films and is becoming irrelevant in the modern age, if that isn't already evident.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

HeartHer wrote:I get Rolling Stone magazine for some reason I can't remember (came free with... something or rather), and in their Oscars prediction they named the lack of a nomination for Nolan as Best Director as "the biggest snub of the Oscar season." They also cited the lack of any nomination for DiCaprio considering he gave amazing performances in both Shutter Island and Inception as one of the other biggest snubs.

Looks like it's as we all thought, the Academy is behind on the times and can't understand modern greatness. They only award movies that fall into the traditional realm of great movies. Luckily if The Social Network wins best picture (as it probably will) it will show a slight departure from typical Oscar winning fare. Inception being nominated for best pic is a good sign as well, although it doesn't seem to have a chance. The biggest letdown for a win would be The King's Speech. As much as I love that movie (as much as Inception and The Social Network), it'd be a shame to see it win over new and innovative films, not because it wouldn't deserve it, but because it would show that the Academy still favors old fashioned films and is becoming irrelevant in the modern age, if that isn't already evident.
The Oscar snubs have definitely been disappointing, but I have come around the fact that even if Inception does not end up winning much, it will always be the biggest winner in my mind as the best movie of 2010.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 09, 2011 5:42 am

I don't know both The Social Network and The King's Speech are every bit as deserving of best picture, I like them as much as or more than Inception (leaning towards just as much as) but I don't think anybody deserves best director or original screenplay more than Nolan. Maybe from a critical standpoint TSN and TKS are the superior films, but the painstaking work that went into creating and bringing to life such an original, ingenious script deserves some recognition. Not to mention Hans Zimmer needs to win best score. Trent Reznor is a brilliant musician and his score in The Social Network was an excellent fusion of minimalist and contemporary music that may deserve to win any other year, but Inception's soundtrack is simply a masterpiece. At least Zimmer's already won that award in the past so he'll be cool without it I'm sure, but the Academy needs to get its head out of its ass and start recognizing that a movie with action that is not related to the mob can be a great movie.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 09, 2011 7:37 am

Speaking of the Oscars...wonder if Ellen will be there? With Inception up for a lot of awards...wondering if she will be there? I bet she will at least be there for the after-awards parties for the film

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 10, 2011 3:49 am

Well it was up for a good number of GGs and she wasn't there, so I dunno.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Jeffrey Robinov, President of Warner Brothers Motion Pictures Division in Los Angeles, talking to Nikki Finke about Chris Nolan's Oscar snub:
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
DEADLINE's Nikki Finke: Obviously I can’t believe that Chris Nolan was not nominated for Best Director for Inception.
JEFF ROBINOV: Me, neither.

DEADLINE: What was it like at Warner Bros when they announced the nominations? Was it funereal?
ROBINOV: I think we were all disappointed for Chris, more than Chris was for Chris. Chris doesn’t take any of this personally. At least in my experience of him, he’s very sanguine about the whole thing. I just felt very sorry for him because I thought that he deserved it and I know Barry Meyer and Alan Horn and everybody else at the studio felt the same way. Plus, we all had a tremendous amount of pride in the film. You become very protective of it, very parental in a way.

DEADLINE: How do you explain this snub -- again?
ROBINOV: He’s never really had, and his movies never really had, the critical support that some of these other films have had. As you go through a lot of the nominations, frankly, it’s just confusing. All of them are good movies and all of them are well directed, but none of them faced the challenges that Chris faced. In some ways it’s similar to what Jim Cameron did with Titanic, and what Jim did with Avatar, they both involved a lot of technological challenges. As for story, Inception is complex and multi-layered. What the actors have to do to keep you in that movie and help you follow that movie, Chris talked a little bit about it last night when he did his acceptance speech at the DGA as one of the nominees. He said that their performances kind of go unnoticed behind the spectacle. It’s really their performances that ground the spectacle and take you through the story. For whatever reason, that’s not translating. I really don’t have an explanation for it. I really don’t understand it.

DEADLINE: This year it seems to me that the Academy didn’t take into account technical achievement as well as story. Many movies that had both were not nominated or considered frontrunners. You could even go back to last year’s Avatar loss.
ROBINOV: At least Jim got a directorial nomination for what he did on Avatar. For whatever reason, the voters are not connecting with the effort it takes to mount this kind of production, and the complexity of the level at which it was executed is not being recognized. I’m not saying the other movies are not deserving of their recognition. But certainly Chris should be in that.

DEADLINE: Part of it might be that Academy members are not seeing these movies in theaters where you get the full incredible experience.
ROBINOV: That may be true. I go to see movies in theaters. I don’t have a screening room. And all the Academy movies that were nominated that were potential contenders, I went to see in the theaters. So I think it’s a much different experience in the theater. I think as an Academy member you have a responsibility to really engage in the process. Part of engaging in that process and part of evaluating that process is being in a theater, with an audience, watching it play. For people who can’t see it in the theater for whatever reason, I think it’s good that they get to see it however they see it. But the other thing I would say is, these other movies also play smaller on those screens. If you look at something like The King’s Speech or Black Swan, those movies also get smaller in the process. I don’t know that Inception suffers any more in that process than any other film in that respect.

DEADLINE: Explain to voters why they need to give Inception another look.
ROBINOV: I would say that from a studio point of view -- and to a large degree they are supported by the studio system -- you have to acknowledge what a risky film this was, given the price and the complexity of it. And we’ve certainly been rewarded commercially for the risk. It’s shocking that people in the industry don’t understand the technical, directorial challenges associated with executing this type of film. To juggle all those pieces in the way that Chris does, I don’t understand how they can overlook that. I like the other movies that are nominated. I have no rap against those movies. I’ve seen them all, and I think they were well-directed, and the performances were all really great. But I think if you ask David Fincher to compare Inception in terms of the complication to The King’s Speech or The Social Network, I think he’d acknowledge that the challenges are much, much greater with an Inception type film than in keeping the audience engaged with a talking-head movie basically like The King’s Speech. True, they don’t have action to fall back on. They don’t have visual effects. So that’s challenging. But Chris has another level of complication in his filmmaking in the same way that James Cameron does, and he certainly deserves to be acknowledged for that. That is the best version of what I can say – I don’t understand it.

DEADLINE: How do you campaign for an Oscar for a movie like this, or any movie?
ROBINOV: I think that there’s a combination of things. With Inception, it came out in July. We didn’t have the benefit of riding that publicity wave that came out for movies in current release. So we had some catch-up to do. It’s possible that we should have started the campaign at a higher level. Not just the campaign itself, because we did start that fairly early. But start it at a higher level with more spent. It also takes a lot of the participants involved, and that’s a timing issue, for them to be out there in front of the movie. Chris is prepping Batman and producing Superman, Leo’s getting ready for Hoover. Everybody is collectively off doing other things. It makes it harder to have a complete campaign.

DEADLINE: And yet here was the most anticipated movie of the summer…
ROBINOV: I think the movie came out early for sure, and I don’t think that helped us. If you are going to be completely honest about it, there have been movies that came out earlier, like Gladiator which I think came out in May, and it won Best Picture. To be really honest, I probably personally overestimated the critical and the Academy support just based on the box office and the response of the media at the time. I took for granted that there would be an understanding, given that the Academy are industry people, of the level of skill that it took to execute the movie to the level that Chris executed it.

DEADLINE: Is it because he’s not yet a member of the club?
ROBINOV: He’s clearly a member of the director’s club, and they are a big part of the people who vote. He’s been very successfully commercial. He’s young and just turned 40. Maybe given the level of success in his body of work, they don’t feel it’s his time. I don’t know.

DEADLINE: I know it took Spielberg forever. I know it took Scorsese forever.
ROBINOV: It doesn’t seem right. It just doesn’t. What Chris did was just a harder needle to thread, and Chris did it. There is an age factor to the Academy, and my understanding is that they skew older. I don’t think Inception plays as well to an older audience as it does to a younger audience. I just don’t think it does. The King’s Speech is very much like The Queen. Aside from the fact that they are English characters, and some English actors, it’s the same scale film. I would say that, and again it doesn’t diminish it as a film, but The Social Network could have been a play. There is no version of Inception that could have been a play. It is pure cinema. It does challenge the audience in a way that I think the other films don’t. It challenges you to use your attention. It challenges you to think. It calls for you to be very present in the movie. The other movies tend to pull you in emotionally, they are very successful in that way, but they don’t demand anything of you.

DEADLINE: What are you going to do during this Phase II to campaign for Inception?
ROBINOV: Obviously, we are going to be as aggressive as possible.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Congratulations to Inception for winning 3 BAFTA awards:
http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/2011-f ... tml#jump16
Production Design
Sound
Special Visual Effects
Categories in which Inception was nominated but did not win: Best Film, Director, Original Screenplay, Original Music, Cinematography, Editing. Inception star Tom Hardy also won the Orange Wednesdays Rising Star Award.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Feb 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Glee Plane wrote:Congratulations to Inception for winning 3 BAFTA awards:
http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/2011-f ... tml#jump16
Production Design
Sound
Special Visual Effects
Categories in which Inception was nominated but did not win: Best Film, Director, Original Screenplay, Original Music, Cinematography, Editing. Inception star Tom Hardy also won the Orange Wednesdays Rising Star Award.
At the same time, Wally Pfister won the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Outstanding Achievement Award in the feature film category. :)
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 28, 2011 5:51 am

Congratulations to Inception for winning 4 Academy Awards:

Best Cinematography
Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing
Best Visual Effects

Inception could have won more, but overall had a pretty good showing. It tied The King's Speech with the most wins. :)

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Feb 28, 2011 9:58 am

Congrats to the winners!

BUT: I can't believe Hans Zimmer didn't win the Oscar for best music. :grumble:
I admit, I didn't watch The Social Network yet, but there's no way that any score is better than that from Inception. (at least this year)

The Oscars are dead to me !! :mad2:
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 01, 2011 2:08 am

plexus wrote:Congrats to the winners!

BUT: I can't believe Hans Zimmer didn't win the Oscar for best music. :grumble:
I admit, I didn't watch The Social Network yet, but there's no way that any score is better than that from Inception. (at least this year)

The Oscars are dead to me !! :mad2:
Well Zimmer's been nominated 9 times and won once for The Lion King, while Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross had never even been nominated, so I understand wanting to spread the love around. The Social Network had a fantastic score with some fantastic minimalist work, but the idea that its score is better than Inception's is flat out ridiculous. The Academy kinda blew it this year, in plenty of other years I would've loved to see The King's Speech win but when it wins over the favored The Social Network, which had thus far swept the awards shows, clearly the more modern and unsettling film in the eyes of the old men in the Academy, it sets off alarms. They need to stop picking the old-fashioned triumph of the human spirit movie and learn to appreciate change in the industry. I think I've more or less written this exact thing 5 times on this site now but it's ridiculous, the Academy needs to bring in about 10,000 22 year olds to maybe bring their average age down to 62 :rolleye: .

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Mar 01, 2011 6:04 pm

The Oscars never pick the best movie, if they did Inception would have won easily. Every poll I've seen rated Inception the best movie of 2010. That's where the term "Oscar-bait" comes from, movies that appeal to Oscar judges but barely anyone else, like 'Winter's Bone'.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:The Oscars never pick the best movie, if they did Inception would have won easily. Every poll I've seen rated Inception the best movie of 2010. That's where the term "Oscar-bait" comes from, movies that appeal to Oscar judges but barely anyone else, like 'Winter's Bone'.
Well the best movie in the public eye is often not truly the best movie, although this may be one of the exceptions to that rule. I know a lot of people who liked Transformers 2 but that movie was garbage. I personally think The Social Network, Inception, and The King's Speech are all excellent films, but the Academy vastly under-appreciated Inception and passed it off as another action flick, albeit a good one. Any of those 3 winning would usually be fine with me, they were my 3 favorites of the year, and it's not like I'm angered or anything but it's saddening to see such a major award show run by people with no sense for modern greatness. Since when does a movie having any non-Mafia related action in it automatically disqualify it as being a great film? Even worse is practically disqualifying The Social Network for merely being focused on something modern. Not only can they not appreciate something with action, but anything that doesn't have a story that could've been done in the 1980s is also pretty much automatically kicked out as well. The Golden Globes have actually surpassed the AAs in my mind, they aren't afraid of new ideas and are awesome enough to have Ricky Gervais host it, then invite him back.

I am aware The Hurt Locker is a prevalent exception to all these rules, but it didn't really have any competition outside Avatar which had about a 1% chance of winning.

I consider myself a bit of a snob when it comes to movies, and not in a good way either, but even I find myself a bit puzzled by the praise for something like Winter's Bone. It may be an excellently made film with wonderful acting, but without any sort of excitement or any compelling sense to keep watching it's worthless. Some art house writers and directors do amazing innovative things that keep me interested, I recently saw The Illusionist and loved it because the creators gave it a certain touch that made it fun. Films that mix Winter's Bone with your average fun movie are the best, but going the extreme route and creating a well-made but incredibly boring movie ruins the film. But I don't think the Academy judges realize that either.

The one thing I will say the Academy nailed was best actor, Colin Firth was absolutely phenomenal in his role. Still waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio, possibly the best actor of this generation to win an Oscar though :rolleye: .

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am

HeartHer wrote:Still waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio, possibly the best actor of this generation to win an Oscar though :rolleye: .
Well, I disagree ... slightly. Leo IS a great actor and deserved an Oscar for some of his movies, but in my opinion Christian Bale deserved the Oscar for almost every role he played.
Ok, it seems I'm going off topic now.
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

plexus wrote:
HeartHer wrote:Still waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio, possibly the best actor of this generation to win an Oscar though :rolleye: .
Well, I disagree ... slightly. Leo IS a great actor and deserved an Oscar for some of his movies, but in my opinion Christian Bale deserved the Oscar for almost every role he played.
Ok, it seems I'm going off topic now.
Well it's still relating to Leo so it's... kinda on topic. I don't think Bale deserved it at all for The Fighter, he was just a trashy skinny guy with a bad accent in it. DiCaprio on the other hand has deserved an Oscar numerous times but has been deprived of one for years.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Mar 03, 2011 5:02 pm

The problem being that the Oscars usually give awards to actors when they become their characters. For me, Leo never really becomes but plays. I'm always very aware I'm watching an actor when I watch him. If that makes any sense.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 02, 2011 3:13 am

Zack Hemsey, the artist behind the song Mind Heist for the Inception trailer, released a 6-track album titled Mind Heist. It includes the original trailer song and 5 variations:
http://music.zackhemsey.com/album/mind-heist

It's $3 and I just bought and listened to the album. It's amazing. :)