Inception - News thread

Christopher Nolan's thriller about the architecture of the mind

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dec 15, 2010 2:11 am

Glee Plane wrote:I just watched the live stream of the Golden Globes nominations, congrats to Inception on these nominations!

Best Picture - Drama
Best Director (Christopher Nolan)
Best Screenplay (Christopher Nolan)
Best Original Score (Hans Zimmer)

Nikki Finke does not have a very good opinion of the Globes:
http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/2011-go ... -analysis/
By NIKKI FINKE | Tuesday December 14, 2010 @ 8:12am PST
2011 Golden Globes: Nikki's Non-Analysis
Here I am, only for informational purposes, posting the 2011 Golden Globes nominations held by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association with the awards to be broadcast live on NBC on January 16th. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's a completely meaningless awards show by a scandal-riddled organization on a network desperate for ratings. That's why I opt out of analyzing the nominations every year: because the Golden Globes have zero integrity. Studios ...............
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 15, 2010 7:19 am

Congrats to Inception on getting the nominations. I was hoping for some actor nominations...well, ok, one in particular :)

Yes, Tilda....er Nikki :biggrin: is not a fan of the Globes. Not the first I have heard about the Globes and the issues with them

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero

Dec 16, 2010 1:41 pm

That's really cool, way to go, Inception! :grooving:
For me, any year that Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronofsky, and David Fincher are nominated for Best Director awards is a good year. :)

And the Golden Globes don't seem to have much less integrity than the Oscars. :noclue: I'm not saying that either awards ceremony is great, but what else is there?

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dec 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Inception #1 on IMDb top 10 movie list for 2010:
http://www.imdb.com/list/dsiQRcUZMqo/
A mind-blowingly original thriller from the mind of Christopher Nolan, executed to near perfection on-screen to create the best in-cinema viewing experience for me in nearly 25 years. The last time I left a cinema feeling this good about a movie was for Aliens in 1986. This is intelligent film-making at its absolute best.

Chelsea
Whip It Extra
Whip It Extra

Dec 29, 2010 1:54 am

JimH wrote:Inception #1 on IMDb top 10 movie list for 2010:
A mind-blowingly original thriller from the mind of Christopher Nolan, executed to near perfection on-screen to create the best in-cinema viewing experience for me in nearly 25 years. The last time I left a cinema feeling this good about a movie was for Aliens in 1986. This is intelligent film-making at its absolute best.
I can't say I'm too surprised by this, it was one of the only mainstream movies out there that was semi though-provoking... Then again, I am kind of an indie movie snob :laugh:
What if I wasn't Christian right now? That'd be awkward. ... Could you imagine if I was like, hm. I celebrate Ka-wanza.

It's so funny when people try to label me a cool, indie girl. No, I’m pretty sure I was in a movie called I Downloaded a Ghost.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Deeply saddened by the death of Pete Postlethwaite today. He was an amazing Fischer Sr. and was a tremendous actor overall.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm

RIP Pete Postlethwaite. Very sad news.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Pete was a fantastic actor. I'm very sorry to hear of his tragic passing. He will be very sadly missed and will always be the man who "defeated the T-Rex" to me. :(
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jan 03, 2011 6:52 pm

He'll always be Kobayashi to Spacey's Verbal Kint in my heart.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Bummer about his death. He was a good actor, and I wish his family all the best.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 04, 2011 12:53 am

Never knew his name prior to Inception, but I'd seen him a few times before. Quite a talented actor.

:rip:

JimH wrote:Inception #1 on IMDb top 10 movie list for 2010:
Pretty good list overall too, at least the top 5 or so. Same top 3 as me except I would've put The King's Speech in place of Black Swan and declared the top 3 a tie.

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jan 04, 2011 4:48 pm

The Producers Guild of America has nominated Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas for their Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures:
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
The theatrical motion picture nominees are:

The Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures:

127 HOURS, Producers: Danny Boyle, Christian Colson
BLACK SWAN, Producers: Scott Franklin, Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver
INCEPTION, Producers: Christopher Nolan, Emma Thomas
THE FIGHTER, Producers: David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman, Mark Wahlberg
THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT, Producers: Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte, Celine Rattray
THE KING'S SPEECH, Producers: Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, Gareth Unwin
THE SOCIAL NETWORK, Producers: Dana Brunetti, Ceán Chaffin, Michael De Luca, Scott Rudin
THE TOWN, Producers: Basil Iwanyk, Graham King
TOY STORY 3, Producer: Darla K. Anderson
TRUE GRIT, Producers: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Scott Rudin

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jan 04, 2011 7:27 pm

I hate to say it but I reckon The Social Network will nab this one, the amount of 'Best Picture' awards it's picked up is borderline ridiculous.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 04, 2011 9:13 pm

The Writers Guild of America has nominated Christopher Nolan for Original Screenplay:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/writers ... -nominees/
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Black Swan, Screenplay by Mark Heyman and Andres Heinz and John McLaughlin; Story by Andres Heinz; Fox Searchlight

The Fighter, Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Paramount Pictures

Inception, Written by Christopher Nolan; Warner Bros.

The Kids Are All Right, Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg; Focus Features

Please Give, Written by Nicole Holofcener; Sony Pictures Classics
I think Inception has a pretty good shot at this one. :)

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am

Glee Plane wrote:The Writers Guild of America has nominated Christopher Nolan for Original Screenplay:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/writers ... -nominees/
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Black Swan, Screenplay by Mark Heyman and Andres Heinz and John McLaughlin; Story by Andres Heinz; Fox Searchlight

The Fighter, Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Paramount Pictures

Inception, Written by Christopher Nolan; Warner Bros.

The Kids Are All Right, Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg; Focus Features

Please Give, Written by Nicole Holofcener; Sony Pictures Classics
I think Inception has a pretty good shot at this one. :)
As much as I'd like it to win, I'm pretty sure Black Swan is gonna win. It's getting way too much hype to stop really.

GiveHimTheKick wrote:I hate to say it but I reckon The Social Network will nab this one, the amount of 'Best Picture' awards it's picked up is borderline ridiculous.
The Social Network is pretty much sweeping the awards, and I'd say deservingly. Fantastic film, like I've said repeatedly it's among my top 3 along with Inception and The King's Speech (which I believe will sweep the best actor/actress awards, except for lead actress which Natalie Portman will get).

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jan 05, 2011 5:42 pm

The 2011 People's Choice Awards are on TV tonight in North America:
http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-headl ... redictions

Inception was nominated for several categories:
FAVORITE MOVIE
Alice In Wonderland
Inception
Iron Man 2
Toy Story 3
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

FAVORITE MOVIE ACTOR
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Robert Downey Jr.
Robert Pattinson
Taylor Lautner

FAVORITE DRAMA MOVIE
Alice in Wonderland
Dear John
Inception
The Social Network
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

FAVORITE ON SCREEN TEAM
Date Night, Tina Fey & Steve Carell
Inception, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Dileep Rao
Iron Man 2, Robert Downey Jr. & Don Cheadle
The Karate Kid, Jaden Smith & Jackie Chan
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Any time Inception is up for People's Choice-style awards it usually wins so :D but the fact that Eclipse is hanging around is not good. :totallysick:

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 06, 2011 12:50 am

GiveHimTheKick wrote:Any time Inception is up for People's Choice-style awards it usually wins so :D but the fact that Eclipse is hanging around is not good. :totallysick:
Yeah, but it saddens me to see Inception lumped in with crap movies like those... Toy Story 3 is fantastic but Iron Man 2, Alice in Wonderland, and Eclipse were garbage. I understand Inception has wide appeal but I'd like to see it win/get nominated for more critic-chosen awards. I have no doubt it'll win quite a few less important Oscars, perhaps best visual effects and best cinematography.

To see Robert Pattinson be put in a poll with fantastic actors like Johnny Depp, Leo, and RDJ is a bit disheartening as well... I sometimes question the tastes of the human race in general :laugh: .

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

HeartHer wrote:
GiveHimTheKick wrote:Any time Inception is up for People's Choice-style awards it usually wins so :D but the fact that Eclipse is hanging around is not good. :totallysick:
Yeah, but it saddens me to see Inception lumped in with crap movies like those... Toy Story 3 is fantastic but Iron Man 2, Alice in Wonderland, and Eclipse were garbage. I understand Inception has wide appeal but I'd like to see it win/get nominated for more critic-chosen awards. I have no doubt it'll win quite a few less important Oscars, perhaps best visual effects and best cinematography.

To see Robert Pattinson be put in a poll with fantastic actors like Johnny Depp, Leo, and RDJ is a bit disheartening as well... I sometimes question the tastes of the human race in general :laugh: .
It's one of the non-artistic aspects of show business :yellowink:

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am

HeartHer wrote:

I quite enjoyed Alice in Wonderland. :noclue: On the other hand I worked on Twilight: Eclipse and yet I still refuse to watch it. Or maybe I refuse to watch it because I worked on it? Hard to say, normally I want to see exactly how the things I saw in real life end up looking on film/video, but in this case I don't want to see the things I saw in real life on film because seeing them once was enough. :laugh:

Robert Pattinson should not be on any lists with actors like Johnny Depp, Leo and RDJ. Image
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.