Little Problem

What's new on Ellen Page Online
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 17, 2010 10:03 am
Location: Cologne, Germany
Status: Offline

Sep 13, 2010 12:45 am

I noticed that when replying to topics, in some cases when in the post preview there are huge strings that have no spaces (like flashvars in embedded videos in the example below) tend to mess up the page styles.

Here is what I mean => click.

@dominik: As a temp fix you may add those two lines to the .postbody class in the stylesheet.css file:

Code: Select all

width: 100%;
overflow: auto;
or if this didn't work out, some edgy hack like:

Code: Select all

width: 1200px;
overflow: auto;
Last edited by Joro on Sep 18, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Joro wrote:I noticed that when replying to topics, in some cases when in the post preview there are huge strings that have no spaces (like flashvars in embedded videos in the example below) tend to mess up the page styles.

Here is what I mean => click.

Thanks for the note, but I don't think this can be fixed using CSS attributes since the body is already limited to 98% of the screen resolution. What we need is an automatic word wrap for the phpBB board. I can check the mod database and try to find a solution for this (minor) problem. As a workaround, I have edited my post and embedded my own video on Sevenload :hey:
Joro wrote:or if this didn't work out, some edgy hack like:

Code: Select all

width: 1200px;
overflow: auto;
Hmm, what if someone has a screen resolution of 1024x768px?! :laugh:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
User avatar

Topic author
Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 17, 2010 10:03 am
Location: Cologne, Germany
Status: Offline

Sep 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Dominik wrote:
Thanks for the note, but I don't think this can be fixed using CSS attributes since the body is already limited to 98% of the screen resolution.

Apparently it is not, since it is being extended. I thing the whole issue is a result of mixing CSS with HTML 1.0 formating. No offense to the phpBB guys but they have created a fine mess.
Dominik wrote: What we need is an automatic word wrap for the phpBB board. I can check the mod database and try to find a solution for this (minor) problem. As a workaround, I have edited my post and embedded my own video on Sevenload :hey:
This "automatic word wrap" is precisely the overflow property in CSS.
Dominik wrote:
Joro wrote:or if this didn't work out, some edgy hack like:

Code: Select all

width: 1200px;
overflow: auto;
Hmm, what if someone has a screen resolution of 1024x768px?! :laugh:
That's why I described it as an edgy hack.
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sep 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Joro wrote:This "automatic word wrap" is precisely the overflow property in CSS.
Thanks for your suggestion. However, I don't get the point for adding an overflow CSS attribute since it only adds or removes the vertical / horizontal scrollbars. :fastreading:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
User avatar

Topic author
Joro
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Jul 17, 2010 10:03 am
Location: Cologne, Germany
Status: Offline

Sep 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Yup it is not enough. The width is not set. This is where the problem lies. Even if we set it to 100%, that would mean 100% of the parent element, which is a cell in a table. I was trying a few solutions with the Dragonfly browser addon, unfortunately with no success.
That's why mixing tables with div containers is such a pain in the ass.
The tables would require formating using attributes, while with divs you can move all formating to the style sheet.

A temporary solution would be to set max-width to some static number so eventual long strings will not brake the design too much.
For example add this to the .postbody class:

Code: Select all

max-width: 1200px;
overflow: auto;
It's not that I don't try being polite, it's just that I fail most of the time.
Post Reply