Why no "Anything and Everything"?

What's new on Ellen Page Online

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 15, 2008 9:55 pm

As you might have noticed there's no "Anything and Everything" category at the moment. There are several reasons for this. First of all, I'm really proud about this community and very grateful for your daily postings. However, I'd like to set the focus on Ellen Page related topics here. Also as this is a sql-based board it won't be possible to store 10,000 or more postings without slowing down the performance (This wasn't a problem at the TBB cause every topic is stored in a seperate file).

But if you want to talk about everything and anything in future too, I have the following suggestions for you:

Option 1
We will create such a forum category here, but all postings there will be deleted monthly to preserve resources

Option 2
You use the shoutbox/chat for this kind of talk

Option 3
You use the old board for this kind of talk

Let me know your thoughts and ideas on this whole thing!
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Ripley
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Nov 16, 2008 2:27 am

I'd go with option 1, as long as you are able to just disable post count for it, otherwise some big posters might get sad. :lol1: Anyway, that's my suggestion.

CinemaDust
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 16, 2008 3:07 am

The board would be pretty boring without a A&E. I don't mind my posts being deleted eventually. But I don't want my post COUNT deleted. :(
I wouldn't want the EP related posts to be deleted. Because on the old board I remember going back and reading articles or informative posts so...it would kinda suck seeing those deleted.

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 16, 2008 5:59 am

I vote for option 1. I understand where you're coming from Dominik when you say you want the discussions to be more focused on the person whom the site is named for, but A&E helps keep this place busy. Also, I really never noticed a distinct lack of discussion in the other parts of the boards, so I think the post wealth was spread pretty proportionally. Yeah, I realize there was never thousands of posts per day anywhere else beside A&E, but that's because the discussion was more broad. I don't think a lack of A&E would have that much of an effect on the post count anywhere else. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. :D
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 16, 2008 6:05 am

Option 1 sounds best to me. Or option 3. Not too keen on option 2 though Image
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 16, 2008 6:11 am

LostPilgrim wrote:Option 1 sounds best to me. Or option 3. Not too keen on option 2 though [ http://www3.telus.net/bluetoes591/smili ... sagree.gif ]
Yeah I'm not too big a fan of the chat/shout box.

And just clarification Dominik, if we were to go with option 1 and posts were deleted monthly, I'm assuming that means the A&E section would either not contribute to total post count or would be deleted from your count when the posts are purged, no?
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Gunnar
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 16, 2008 7:23 am

Option 1 or Option 3 are the best. I don't really care about the post count, Option 3 would still make AE feel not as much apart of the site which would kinda blow.

And yer it's very hard to make thousands of posts about a single person even if her name is Ellen Page :) We'd need to go into quite some detailed talk like how she pronounced that word in M2M and said it diffrently in X3 :P Not sure it would be very interesting conversation :) Also keeps people around instead of the forum being a ghost town between projects/news :)

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 16, 2008 7:29 am

I agree with Gunnar, A&E drives the day to day posting on this board. Without it, many people would only log in occasionally, particularly in times of Ellen news drought. Option 1 seems to make the most sense to me, though I don't understand why the board would suffer with more posts. I am a member of other boards where there are several threads in excess of 100,000 posts and the board works fine.

That and you should know by now that some thread or other will always be being hijacked for random conversation if you don't provide a place for it.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 16, 2008 8:11 am

I don't know if phpbb lets you do this, but I know VBulliten has a feature where after x amount of posts/pages, a thread will close, delete itself, and automatically make a new thread.

I know most of the people were perfectly contempt using TBB, but if it were this, or no A&E, I'd take this option (1)

Although, a lot of people like to go back and read old posts to check facts, so some people may not like this.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 16, 2008 8:22 am

Yep, also understood where you're coming from Dominik. However, I agree with a few on the shout box and people not visiting if there were no 'community' to come to. As you know, we're always one of the first to contribute in the Ellen topics (afterall I would never have registered almost a year ago if I weren't interested in EP) but I can't see that happening if there were no A&E. We would visit once a day (or perhaps a few times) but no need to hang around if there's no one to talk to.

There are certain times when we will refer to an old post but I can't see that being a problem if there isn't an option for it. The most important thing is that we can still come to this fantastic place that you have graciously and time consumingly provided for us to catch up and talk about Anything & Everything as well of course, to discuss all things Ellen.

So option 1 or 3 for me.

Thank you for asking our opinion Dominik. It's great to feel included in the board's outcome - as it is to feel part of this great community :D
Last edited by Lori on Nov 16, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Just
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 16, 2008 9:10 am

Definitely Option 1

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 16, 2008 9:14 am

Oh and I forgot to mention, I wouldn't think if your posts were deleted you would lose your post count however, it doesn't particularly worry me.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Baboon wrote:I don't know if phpbb lets you do this, but I know VBulliten has a feature where after x amount of posts/pages, a thread will close, delete itself, and automatically make a new thread.
Yes, there's such a function and I'm going to use it in case we decide to use option 1 in future :)
Lori wrote:There are certain times when we will refer to an old post but I can't see that being a problem if there isn't an option for it. The most important thing is that we can still come to this fantastic place that you have graciously and time consumingly provided for us to catch up and talk about Anything & Everything as well of course, to discuss all things Ellen.
If you liked a specific topic on the old board, you can create a new one with the same subject here of course. And would love to have new discussion about Whip It!, Jane Eyre or Papertown and so on and so forth :)
Lori wrote:Thank you for asking our opinion Dominik. It's great to feel included in the board's outcome - as it is to feel part of this great community :D
You're welcome. I'm doing this all for you guys ^^

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Option 1 or Option 3 is fine with me.

I would like to keep A/E in some way. Not only it is great to communicate with other EPOers, but, it has been a way to keep Ellen news out there during a time where there is not a lot of new Ellen-related movies coming out.

When I first started posting here it was busy with all the Juno-related things...but the A/E really kept the community alive waiting for new Ellen films after the Juno-related news slowed down

I can do without the post count....I lost some interest in that when I lost my "Haligonian" status :D And, I wouldnt so mind if old A/E posts were deleted to conserve space on this forum

Again...thanks for all the work you do for this website and forum :super:

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, I hope this will improves your mood; I've done some researches regarding the maximum size of a MySQL database and I figured out there's no internal limit, but the size is usually determined by operating system of the (web)server. In our case this means that the webserver can handle a file size up to 4 Terrabyte :D And for this reason, I see no need to delete any "Everything and Anything" topic at the moment :wink:

Edit: And according to my hosting partner "Domainfactory" there's no database size limit at all and the current size is 1.83 MiB, btw :)

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 18, 2008 1:06 pm

:cheering: That's good news Dominik, thank you!

Honestly, I wasn't overly concerned with having A&E's deleted. If it would help to cut off A&E threads after a while and start a new, I'd be more than happy to do that but if you need to delete posts, then you have to do whatever you need to. We very much appreciate all you do here so whatever works :)

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 18, 2008 4:44 pm

:super:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

thereoncewasabug
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 19, 2008 6:31 am

Dominik wrote:Well, I hope this will improves your mood; I've done some researches regarding the maximum size of a MySQL database and I figured out there's no internal limit, but the size is usually determined by operating system of the (web)server. In our case this means that the webserver can handle a file size up to 4 Terrabyte :D And for this reason, I see no need to delete any "Everything and Anything" topic at the moment :wink:

Edit: And according to my hosting partner "Domainfactory" there's no database size limit at all and the current size is 1.83 MiB, btw :)
Glad you did this research. I was about to look into this because it struck me as quite odd that mysql wouldn't be able to handle a topic that big. Smelled of premature optimization.

Assuming the board will be more resilient during nutter time, should A&E still voluntarily create a new thread every month? or we could rename the November thread back into A&E vanilla see how far the rabbit hole goes.

(I'm rooting for the second option)

:cheekygrin:
-"The things you do wrong, they haunt you." "Nah, I mean I'm already pregnant, so what other shenanigans could I get into?"
-"When is it acceptable to use our power and when do we cross that invisible line that turns us into tyrants over our fellow man?" "Silencio, old man!"