No votes
Awful
5%

Total votes: 19

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 19, 2008 2:11 am

Well since everyone seems to be getting custom titles, I may have to come up with something :rolleye:

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 19, 2008 3:32 am

It's the 'in' thing Dan :agreeing: Caving in to that peer pressure again huh? *cough*facebook*cough* :snoot:
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 19, 2008 5:59 am

Dominik wrote: ....and do you really need the five latest E&A postings listed in a single box?! :bigtongue: :sassy: :totallysick: :lol2:
haha, I know seriously....especially me, considering the fact that I don't frequent A&E at all. But I too liked it for the same reason as Dan.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 19, 2008 11:16 am

angie wrote:
Dominik wrote: ....and do you really need the five latest E&A postings listed in a single box?! :bigtongue: :sassy: :totallysick: :lol2:
haha, I know seriously....especially me, considering the fact that I don't frequent A&E at all. But I too liked it for the same reason as Dan.
I hope you'll understand that I can't include such a feature at the moment. In general, things that worked on the TBB aren't working automatically on the phpBB and vice versa. These two board engines are totally different as one is file-based and the other uses a MySQL database to store all data.

I'm sure we will run into major problems in future, if I would use one of the current mods which enable a recent posts box on the index page. The problem is that everytime someone is accessing the index page, a SQL query is started that checks all postings and trys to get the lastest 5 (or more) postings. This might not be a big deal on a message board with 1,000 or 5,000 posts, but just imagine, there are 50,000 postings and this function has to check all of them everytime to build the recent post box. Furthermore there might not be only one single user but 5 or 10 visitors who start such a progress and that means there would be several complex SQL queries at the same time. And as a result, the board would slow down due to the high load for sure.

On the TBB, this function was simple and fast cause the engine added information about every recent post or reply in a specific file which was read in by the recent post function later/on demand.

Nevertheless, I will keep my eyes opened for such a function, but don't expect anything soon.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Baboon wrote:Well since everyone seems to be getting custom titles, I may have to come up with something :rolleye:
How 'bout Paintball Pro? Or, better yet Secretly A Woman :runaway:

And for mine I would like to make a request for Jolly Fine Chap please. Thankyou.

:wohoo: Thankyou thankyou thankyou :humbleness:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

The_Drummer
Squirrels Sitter
Squirrels Sitter

Nov 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Jeez! Thank you Dominik , thank u so much! :D
A really good drummer must play at 250bpm on bassdrum....so i'm not lol 742617000027

dodom
Neon Chuck Norris
Neon Chuck Norris

Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Well, since we're all asking for titles... :happybigeyes: could I please be Neon Chuck Norris?

That would be sincerely appreciated. :D

:laugh: Dominik, you never fail in being awesome. :super: Thanks man.
She said i'm more like a fool for soul and passion

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero

Nov 20, 2008 3:29 am

I think the new board is really nice.
Thank you so much for putting in the time and dedication to get this new board up and running! :)

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 20, 2008 6:40 am

Oh and I like my title....thanks Dominik :) Anything with "Haligonian" is fine with me :D

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 20, 2008 6:51 am

Dominik wrote:
angie wrote:
I hope you'll understand that I can't include such a feature at the moment. In general, things that worked on the TBB aren't working automatically on the phpBB and vice versa. These two board engines are totally different as one is file-based and the other uses a MySQL database to store all data.

I'm sure we will run into major problems in future, if I would use one of the current mods which enable a recent posts box on the index page. The problem is that everytime someone is accessing the index page, a SQL query is started that checks all postings and trys to get the lastest 5 (or more) postings. This might not be a big deal on a message board with 1,000 or 5,000 posts, but just imagine, there are 50,000 postings and this function has to check all of them everytime to build the recent post box. Furthermore there might not be only one single user but 5 or 10 visitors who start such a progress and that means there would be several complex SQL queries at the same time. And as a result, the board would slow down due to the high load for sure.

On the TBB, this function was simple and fast cause the engine added information about every recent post or reply in a specific file which was read in by the recent post function later/on demand.

Nevertheless, I will keep my eyes opened for such a function, but don't expect anything soon.

Please don't even bother Dom! You've done more than enough for this board and its members.... take the time to work on more important things like fixin all the bugs and giving custom name ranks :sassy: :D

Just
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 20, 2008 10:14 am

angie wrote:Please don't even bother Dom! You've done more than enough for this board and its members.... take the time to work on more important things like fixin all the bugs and giving custom name ranks :sassy: :D
:thumbup:

thereoncewasabug
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Nov 22, 2008 11:18 pm

This is pretty late, but I just wanted to add that I really like the new forum. Features like reading unread posts and quoting people from the posting box are useful! :)

I think the database should hold up against our posting. If it ever gets slow, you could talk to the phpBB community about tweaks. I don't know how phpBB is using the database, but if it turns out long threads are a problem, you might want to look into indexing the postID columns. Again, the community will definitely be able to help you out. :agreeing:

Edit: When I said indexing a column, I mean a SQL index. Those should optimize the post lookup by a large factor.
-"The things you do wrong, they haunt you." "Nah, I mean I'm already pregnant, so what other shenanigans could I get into?"
-"When is it acceptable to use our power and when do we cross that invisible line that turns us into tyrants over our fellow man?" "Silencio, old man!"

interpol17
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Nov 23, 2008 5:41 am

hey this is so cool Dominik i like the new board
good job
:)
i like the smilie creator
awesome man!!!!!
:totalhappy:
No matter what everybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.
Formerly known as Spain14 :)

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 23, 2008 9:48 am

Dominik wrote:Nevertheless, I will keep my eyes opened for such a function, but don't expect anything soon.
And da man strikes again! Love everything Dominik :thumbsup: I'm really getting into this board, thanks so much for all your hard work and time :flowers: Awesome!
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Coolguy19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 26, 2008 3:46 am

I think this board's all right, I'm still getting used to it. I might adapt to it over time, like I had with the old board. There were a lot of moments and memories on the old board expecially in Anything and Everything thread, which for some reason has been reversed.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 26, 2008 3:53 am

Reversed?
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Coolguy19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 26, 2008 3:56 am

bluetoes591 wrote:Reversed?
Yeah cause it's Everything and Anything now instead of the other way around as it originally was.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Nov 26, 2008 3:57 am

bluetoes591 wrote:Reversed?
I think he means that it's now called Everything and Anything as opposed to Anything and Everything. Doesn't make much difference, though.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

Coolguy19
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 26, 2008 4:07 am

I'm just used to it being called Anything and Everything, it's most likely just me but I think it sounds more proper that way instead of the other way around.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 26, 2008 4:15 am

Yeah, I agree though I don't really notice anymore. This is what happens when Moderators create threads. Image :laugh:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.