5%

Total votes: 19

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 16, 2008 11:58 pm

Chelsea wrote:
I guess I will chime in with my opinion....I do like the look/functionality of this board but count me as one who is really going to miss having all the old posts around. I know I can still access the old site but it's not the same. I wonder if there will even be any posts in the threads for all her old movies on this board and, if not, it's going to make it look REALLY empty.....I really wonder who is going to be posting a new comment about X-Men (or even Juno for that matter) on this new board? Maybe Dominik can collapse the movies list so that her older movies threads are seen in a different area?
Yeah, sometimes when no one was on, I would browse the old topics just because it was cool to see everyone's opinions about her other movies. Plus, it was great if you hadn't gotten to see one yet, and then you could finally respond to an old thread... And you know, I kind of feel like a new member now, even though I have been here since april.

The functionality is better, though :agreeing:

:panic: Changed smiley codes!
I changed the smiley coding for w-a-v-i-n-g and a-g-r-e-e-i-n-g :happybigeyes: Is anything else on your wishlist?

Well, it's not impossible to recover the old topics, but this would mean that all members have to work together and create all or some of their posts (in the correct order) again :)
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 17, 2008 2:48 am

Hey Dom,

So far I like what you've done. the whole set up is cool but I know it wil be hard for me to get used to. Sort of like when they changed facebook to the new facebook...that really ticked me off, but now I like it more.

I noticed that there is no box that lists the most recent posts? I miss that thing....its cool if you can't make one tho on this new board.

I'm sure I will love it tho and get used to it.

oh btw, what happened to the rank thing? I liked my new "must be a haligonian" status! :sassy:

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 17, 2008 5:41 am

Angie, at the top on the left hand side there are links that are even better than the box with the most recent posts - it's a list of all new posts since your last visit - woohoo! I really missed that on the old board but I got used to perusing the threads looking for new posts.

As you can see, there a few different links there that will be quite handy. I think you'll like it even better! :wink:

Lost your rank? I lost over a 12,500 post count! :laugh: And what informative posts they were :biggrin: Well, some of them were :agreeing: I feel like a newbie. But I don't mind starting again :D
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 17, 2008 5:49 am

13219 for me :unhappy: You'd think we'd have some kind of special status or something by now :laugh: Either that or you'd think we would have been locked up by now... :biggrin:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 17, 2008 6:10 am

Probably the latter Miles :whatever: :agreeing: :laugh:

dodom
Neon Chuck Norris
Neon Chuck Norris

Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't mind starting new count post's or starting a new page too much. It's a give and take situation because I definitely will miss the sentimentality of the original page like Lori and Janie said.

One big request though Dom, will you post all of those pictures (or they could even be updated if you so choose) of EP across the top of the page like the old message board had? I really liked that being the first thing that popped up when I loaded the page.

Otherwise just like anything I think this will take a little time to get use to, but with as much time as some of us spend on here that shouldn't take long at all! :biggrin:

Thanks again Dominik for keeping this going and updated! :applause:

Edit: I also just noticed that when clicking on someone's name to see their profile you can add them as a "friend" or as a "foe" and that's pretty rad. I don't exactly know why, but it made me laugh. :D Nice.
She said i'm more like a fool for soul and passion

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 17, 2008 8:21 pm

angie wrote:oh btw, what happened to the rank thing? I liked my new "must be a haligonian" status! :sassy:
Done :) Check your new rank :bigtongue:
dodom wrote:One big request though Dom, will you post all of those pictures (or they could even be updated if you so choose) of EP across the top of the page like the old message board had? I really liked that being the first thing that popped up when I loaded the page.
Well, it took some time till I understood the source code of the current theme, but I'm working on a new banner at the moment. And maybe I will use the design of the old banner, too :)
dodom wrote:Thanks again Dominik for keeping this going and updated! :applause:
You're welcome and welcome back!
dodom wrote:Edit: I also just noticed that when clicking on someone's name to see their profile you can add them as a "friend" or as a "foe" and that's pretty rad. I don't exactly know why, but it made me laugh. :D Nice.
You can also say "whitelist" and "blacklist". But the feature isn't complete as you can see with this description taken from phpbb.com :laugh:
5.3.4. Friends and Foes

TODO: (Not sure if this deserves its own section yet. For 3.0 this does not have much of an influence on the overall forum experience, this might change with 3.2, so leaving it here for now.) Write a detailed explanation about what Friends and Foes are and how they affect the forum like hiding posts of foes, adding users to the friends list for fast access / online checks, and so forth.

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 18, 2008 1:18 am

Dominik wrote:
angie wrote:oh btw, what happened to the rank thing? I liked my new "must be a haligonian" status! :sassy:
Done :) Check your new rank :bigtongue:
Dominik, why are you so cool?? :humbleness: You should win an award for best webmaster ever. :D

Emmerz
Aussie Ellen Fan
Aussie Ellen Fan

Nov 18, 2008 7:06 am

I like the new board, but I miss the old one, heaps.

And ranks, I'd like "Aussie Ellen Fan" :laugh: :yes: :p

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 18, 2008 7:54 am

If we're gifting titles, I would be keen to be "Internet Ninja" :laugh: Failing that, being a Haligonian was always my favourite as it made me bi-coastal as I live on the west coast and had an east coast title.

Oh, and my brainwave of the day is this... In each forum area you should stickie a post with a link to the corresponding area on the old board. This will help integrate the archives into the new message board. So for example, if this were say the Hard Candy sub forum, there would be a link to the Hard Candy sub forum on the other board. :sheep:

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 18, 2008 8:16 am

Emmerz wrote:And ranks, I'd like "Aussie Ellen Fan" :laugh: :yes: :p
bluetoes591 wrote:If we're gifting titles, I would be keen to be "Internet Ninja" :laugh: Failing that, being a Haligonian was always my favourite as it made me bi-coastal as I live on the west coast and had an east coast title.
Done and Done :lol2:
bluetoes591 wrote:Oh, and my brainwave of the day is this... In each forum area you should stickie a post with a link to the corresponding area on the old board. This will help integrate the archives into the new message board. So for example, if this were say the Hard Candy sub forum, there would be a link to the Hard Candy sub forum on the other board. :sheep:
Great idea! :thumbup: I will create those sticky threads soon! :shakehands:
angie wrote:Dominik, why are you so cool?? :humbleness: You should win an award for best webmaster ever. :D
Thanks for the flowers :inlove: In this case you can join Chelsea, who'd like to give me the same award, and hand it over to me. Wait, I will PM you my address... :dielaughing:

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 18, 2008 8:25 am

Dominik wrote:
bluetoes591 wrote:If we're gifting titles, I would be keen to be "Internet Ninja" :laugh: Failing that, being a Haligonian was always my favourite as it made me bi-coastal as I live on the west coast and had an east coast title.
Oh man, you just made my week! :laugh:

The_Drummer
Squirrels Sitter
Squirrels Sitter

Nov 18, 2008 9:12 am

First of all I wanna thank you Dominik for your great work, I really appreciated it.

Personally I like this new board. My first impression wasn't so positive but just because after months over the old forum

(great memories) it's not so easy to change in few time...Anyway for me it's okay :thumbup:

Last thing...I'm a bit shy...could I be "Squirrels Sitter" as title? haha...okay I tried
A really good drummer must play at 250bpm on bassdrum....so i'm not lol 742617000027

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 18, 2008 9:14 am

The_Drummer wrote: Last thing...I'm a bit shy...could I be "Squirrels Sitter" as title? haha...okay I tried
Yes yes yes! Do it!

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 18, 2008 2:15 pm

bluetoes591 wrote:I would be keen to be "Internet Ninja" :laugh:
:rolleye:

I've never been a big phpbb fan, but I'm really starting to like the new setup :agreeing: One thing though, I know you took out the ability of posting html, but can you re-enable the youtube tag? There's several threads (mostly the music threads) where youtube videos are posted regularly. I don't see there being any vulnerability issues with that, so I was a bit confused when you disabled it.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Baboon wrote:I've never been a big phpbb fan, but I'm really starting to like the new setup :agreeing:
I admit I wasn't a fan either. I really loved my TBB and I spent many hours there to get to know all settings and features, add new hacks and functions and so on. But in the end it was an old board engine, which hasn't been updated since 2003, and there was no active development and support community at all. In regard of the phpBB, I was afraid of possible security issues and bugs, but I think it has a great fan and support community, which could fix any problem, and we also have a daily backup of the database, so all posts and threads are safe no matter what happens. And last but not least, the phpbb has some really useful features like Anti-Double Post, Multi-Quote, Jump-to-last-post and a really cool Admin and Mod panel :cheekygrin: that I don't want to miss anymore :loveforever:
Baboon wrote:One thing though, I know you took out the ability of posting html, but can you re-enable the youtube tag? There's several threads (mostly the music threads) where youtube videos are posted regularly. I don't see there being any vulnerability issues with that, so I was a bit confused when you disabled it.
First off, HTML is disabled on default and a standard phpbb isn't able to handle any html code. But there's user made modification that allows HTML in posts again. However, there should be no doubt that using and posting HTML code can be dangerous as any user including a newbie could post some iframe code and embed an external site which loads trojans or viruses. But as I trust you and the other special members, you're allowed to use HTML again as of now.
I removed the Youtube button cause I thought it would only be used once in a while and most of the members prefer to copy and paste the original Youtube embedded code :) Nevertheless, I could add it again on demand :)

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 18, 2008 4:43 pm

In my experience elsewhere, people don't use the youtube button because they can't figure out how to use it. I've already used it twice, but I'd be just as happy to go back to using the embedding code.

Topic author
Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 18, 2008 10:20 pm

angie wrote:I noticed that there is no box that lists the most recent posts? I miss that thing....its cool if you can't make one tho on this new board.
I checked the Mod database and the board on phpbb.com and found a few modifications which add such a box with a specific amount of recent posts. However, some users experienced problems with these addons so I try to avoid this feature for now. As Lori said, please use the links in the right corner to get an overview about the recent posts and topics!

....and do you really need the five latest E&A postings listed in a single box?! :bigtongue: :sassy: :totallysick: :lol2:

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Nov 18, 2008 10:59 pm

bluetoes591 wrote:In my experience elsewhere, people don't use the youtube button because they can't figure out how to use it. I've already used it twice, but I'd be just as happy to go back to using the embedding code.
It is easier to embed, but I understand why he took out the ability to post html. Other than youtube videos I can only think of 2 or 3 times that I've actually uses html in a post, so I'm fine using the youtube tag.
Dominik wrote:....and do you really need the five latest E&A postings listed in a single box?! :bigtongue: :sassy: :totallysick: :lol2:
I wouldn't mind having that back as well. I know there's the link to view new posts, but it's nice having that on the bottom of the page. Especially when I get on in the morning or at work when A&E has been asleep for a few hours. That's when I get a chance to read through the other posts on the board, and it's nice having that down there. Especially when old threads get re-upped.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Nov 19, 2008 12:42 am

Dominik wrote:
Emmerz wrote:And ranks, I'd like "Aussie Ellen Fan" :laugh: :yes: :p
*cough* Ummm, Dominik oh great one (suck suck), in light of the requests for a title, may I trouble you to change mine also to... Aussie Queen Lorz please? It's very silly but .. well, silly is the new black :laugh: :biggrin: Only if you have time. That would be fantastic, thank you, thank you :flowers:

Thank you thank you Dominik! Woohoo! I love it! :thumbsup:

Bestest Webmaster EVER! :totalhappy: