I would like some explanation about one of the new rule line

What's new on Ellen Page Online
Locked
User avatar

Topic author
devouringone3
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: Québec
Status: Offline

Apr 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Under "Deletion of accounts":
"- Users, who stand out in a negative way"

First, is there really a case when an account will be just deleted? Without any warnings, temp- or permanent banning, an account will be, just, deleted, like that? Will he be restrained from coming back?

Do I understand the rule well if I say: It gives the right for the banner to ban someone after seeing he isn't appreciated by a majority of the people on the board, a majority the banner isn't even a part of [meaning the banner doesn't even got to know the guy, yet].

Or has the banner the obligation to be a part of the ones who dislike the to-be-banned person?

Other than that I just believe it is a good rule where the whole community's opinions, aiming for a public good, will somewhen be considered before banning someone.

Thanks for understanding that I just want to be sure to understand the rule because I want to protect myself. I feel like it is written "devouringone3" next to this new line, since a lot of people dislikes me.
Image
User avatar

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter
Posts: 316
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 5:30 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 5:21 am

I don't think anyone here would just outright ban a user without some sort of warning(s) beforehand. If a user is problematic and is a repeat offender with no sign of changing their act, they will be warned or banned.

The EPO boards are not a popularity contest. I really hope someone wouldn't ban another just because they aren't "well liked" by the other members. Being disliked and being a nuisance are two completely different things.

That's all just my take on the matter. I hope others agree.

Oh, and please don't feel like the rule is somehow singling you out, and that other users seem to dislike you. I highly doubt that is the case at all. This isn't high school. :p
Image
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time
User avatar

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz
Posts: 3721
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 8:08 am
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 7:31 am

happytimeharry wrote:I don't think anyone here would just outright ban a user without some sort of warning(s) beforehand. If a user is problematic and is a repeat offender with no sign of changing their act, they will be warned or banned.
Agreed. There of course, will be a warning before banning, unless there is extreme misbehaviour where the member has given the mod (where Dominik isn't around at that time) no choice but to ban him/her to put a stop to it until Dominik can decide what actions to take.
Image
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers
User avatar

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 252
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 9:45 am

happytimeharry wrote:I don't think anyone here would just outright ban a user without some sort of warning(s) beforehand. If a user is problematic and is a repeat offender with no sign of changing their act, they will be warned or banned.

The EPO boards are not a popularity contest. I really hope someone wouldn't ban another just because they aren't "well liked" by the other members. Being disliked and being a nuisance are two completely different things.

That's all just my take on the matter. I hope others agree.

Oh, and please don't feel like the rule is somehow singling you out, and that other users seem to dislike you. I highly doubt that is the case at all. This isn't high school. :p
:agreeing:
Image
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 10:38 am

I don’t know why I’m not surprised by this thread, and especially by its author. Though it's stated in the rules that [...if you have any questions about the rules of this forum, you are free to Private Message (PM) any of the Moderators of this forum...], someone is apparently trying to get special treatment while creating an own topic for that. :doh:
devouringone3 wrote:Under "Deletion of accounts":
"- Users, who stand out in a negative way"

First, is there really a case when an account will be just deleted? Without any warnings, temp- or permanent banning, an account will be, just, deleted, like that? Will he be restrained from coming back?
Sure, there's a case. If somebody is spamming and making a lot of nonsense postings or a certain user thinks the forum belongs to him and he can do whatever he want (i.e. don't mind the rules or something similar).
devouringone3 wrote:Do I understand the rule well if I say: It gives the right for the banner to ban someone after seeing he isn't appreciated by a majority of the people on the board, a majority the banner isn't even a part of [meaning the banner doesn't even got to know the guy, yet].
If somebody always has an opposite opinion, starts to bother the majority of the (active) people on the board and/or his postings always leads to conflicts and troubles, then he will be banned for sure (and it's not all important that the banner "knows" this person in this matter)
devouringone3 wrote:Or has the banner the obligation to be a part of the ones who dislike the to-be-banned person?
The "banner" (I guess you're still talking about me in particular) hasn't an obligation and will make the necessary steps and decisions for the collective good, regardless of his own opinion!
devouringone3 wrote:Other than that I just believe it is a good rule where the whole community's opinions, aiming for a public good, will somewhen be considered before banning someone.
Are you suggesting to put the decision in the hands of all registered users? This won't work at all cause there's only a handful who visit this board daily or more than once a week. Sorry, but this is not the way things work here and I hope you will get and accept that once and for all. This forum is managed by a team of moderators under my guidance and they decide what to do after discussing it internally. Besides, I'm running this place for several years now and it never occured to me that the majority wasn't happy with anything. Actually, I see no need to change something that seems to be working well!
devouringone3 wrote:Thanks for understanding that I just want to be sure to understand the rule because I want to protect myself. I feel like it is written "devouringone3" next to this new line, since a lot of people dislikes me.
Is that so? Hmm, either all these people are absolutely retarded or there really must be a reason for that.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
User avatar

Topic author
devouringone3
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: Québec
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Dominik wrote:I don’t know why I’m not surprised by this thread, and especially by its author. Though it's stated in the rules that [...if you have any questions about the rules of this forum, you are free to Private Message (PM) any of the Moderators of this forum...], someone is apparently trying to get special treatment while creating an own topic for that.
Sorry, no, the truth is that I didn't noticed that passage... lol :/, I don't think before posting a new topic, I think I am good and that I don’t need to re-read the rules every time I want to post something, I do it like if I was free of doing it, in a very natural way... The way people see it and get mad at me is unexpected because I never want to hurt them in the first place.

Plus, you are free =/= you are obliged.
Dominik wrote:a certain user thinks the forum belongs to him and he can do whatever he want (i.e. don't mind the rules or something similar).
Is that me? [good answer is no, because I never did that]
Dominik wrote:The "banner" (I guess you're still talking about me in particular)
Of course, you're the administrator. Unless you tell me moderators can ban too.
Dominik wrote:Are you suggesting to put the decision in the hands of all registered users?
No I said the community ("majority"), referring to the ones who come here frequently to talk about "everything Ellen Page" and more. You are giving them the power to decide for you when you’re saying that:
Dominik wrote:If somebody always has an opposite opinion, starts to bother the majority of the (active) people on the board and/or his postings always leads to conflicts and troubles, then he will be banned for sure (and it's not all important that the banner "knows" this person in this matter)
?
I mean, they are the one who will decide who to ban when, in the end... if you can look at them and ban someone you don’t even know... No "you" or a "team of moderator" what so ever, just the community. That is my question... we will get to understood each other.
Dominik wrote:devouringone3 wrote:Thanks for understanding that I just want to be sure to understand the rule because I want to protect myself. I feel like it is written "devouringone3" next to this new line, since a lot of people dislikes me.
Is that so? Hmm, either all these people are absolutely retarded or there really must be a reason for that.
No, I think they have no reason of hating me, I never desired such a thing. I think it is just a misunderstanding. I like the way you’re leaving me with just one choice "you all have got to be retarded" of course not.

Actually, right here, right now, you are the one hating me and all of your words agree... will you ever tell me why? Can we finally get to communicate each other?

I want to know why you are hating me, coming from your mouth... and don’t start going on about colloquial, about what I’ve done, about what the opinions a lot of people here made themselves about me. Stop thinking I want to humiliate you in public and liberate yourself.



For the rest, thanks, but Lori,
Lori wrote:Agreed. There of course, will be a warning before banning, unless there is extreme misbehaviour where the member has given the mod (where Dominik isn't around at that time) no choice but to ban him/her to put a stop to it until Dominik can decide what actions to take.
You think some people who really care about this place enjoy behaving bad in order to be bad and hated by the people he care about? Is this what you are referring to with "extreme misbehaviour"? I am not talking about the bots or the people who doesn’t give a damn about this place... banning these is acceptable. Do we agree on that?
Image
User avatar

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja
Posts: 4118
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 7:21 pm

devouringone3 wrote:
Dominik wrote:The "banner" (I guess you're still talking about me in particular)
Of course, you're the administrator. Unless you tell me moderators can ban too.
Moderators have the power to ban people as well. However, unless its a real cut and dry case we are likely to defer to Dominik for the final say.
devouringone3 wrote:
Dominik wrote:Are you suggesting to put the decision in the hands of all registered users?
No I said the community ("majority"), referring to the ones who come here frequently to talk about "everything Ellen Page" and more. You are giving them the power to decide for you when you’re saying that:
Dominik wrote:If somebody always has an opposite opinion, starts to bother the majority of the (active) people on the board and/or his postings always leads to conflicts and troubles, then he will be banned for sure (and it's not all important that the banner "knows" this person in this matter)
?
I mean, they are the one who will decide who to ban when, in the end... if you can look at them and ban someone you don’t even know... No "you" or a "team of moderator" what so ever, just the community. That is my question... we will get to understood each other.
The community has a long history of being on Dominik's side and alerting him to posters that they believe are playing outside the rules.
devouringone3 wrote: No, I think they have no reason of hating me, I never desired such a thing. I think it is just a misunderstanding. I like the way you’re leaving me with just one choice "you all have got to be retarded" of course not.
Perhaps your massive dose of self righteousness has something to do with it. When you joined the forum your posts had the attitude that yours was the only opinion that mattered. Its very off-putting when the new guy thinks he knows everything. Your posts have improved somewhat in this area since your banning but I'm guessing you're just being careful because you don't want to be banned again.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.
Image
User avatar

angie
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 252
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Apr 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Well obviously my fellow members eloquent way of explaining things to you isn't working, so let me put it in lamens terms for you:

It's not that we hate you (that's a pretty strong word) we are just irritated by your refusal to follow the rules. Dominik was smart by adding these rules before the message board was up so that people like you could not "humiliate him in public". obviously he has more experience in this realm because he is accustom to this kind of bullshit you are pulling from previous experience on other message boards.

Obviously our explanations aren't getting through to you and everyone here has the same views about the matter except you, so yes- to put it blatantly: there is something wrong if you are not getting the picture.

....And to make this fair and show you that you are not the only one, there is this one user- FarrahMoan

he was at first banned at one point, but he came back, and not with defensiveness- but humility....he was open to advice and to try and understand what happened without being (well, an asshole about it). And so now he is back for good and everything is chill. Here is the thread he made incase you are curious:

http://board.ellen-page.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=148

I don't know much about this or FarrahMoan's past matter, but I'm sure other members on the board would be willing to explain it to you (if you would give them the chance and stop being so god damn annoying about it).
Image
User avatar

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz
Posts: 3721
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 8:08 am
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline

Apr 19, 2009 11:18 am

Truly, I've not seen another member of this board more self centered, self absorbed and full of self importance than you are. And yes, I realise that they are pretty much the same thing, but it needed to be reiterated 3 times!

This board was not and has never been, about you so stop making yourself the centre of it! We don't hate you, we don't care enough to hate you! You're just damn annoying. Give it up. You said it yourself that you don't last long on many boards - gee I wonder why?! You question everything - and you're not very pleasant about it either, insulting anyone you feel like. AGAIN, if you do not like the rules placed upon this board - do everyone a favour and LEAVE. It's as unpleasant for us to have to read your posts as it is for you to have read our annoyed replies. You need to ask yourself why you feel the need to piss a happy community off.

Do not go sucking up to Dominik with your bullshit sob stories again either. You're on your last legs. He was kind enough to give you another chance - USE IT WISELY! Your constant questioning about reformatory is getting really old. Get over it... and yourself while you're at it.
devouringone3 wrote:For the rest, thanks, but Lori,
Lori wrote:Agreed. There of course, will be a warning before banning, unless there is extreme misbehaviour where the member has given the mod (where Dominik isn't around at that time) no choice but to ban him/her to put a stop to it until Dominik can decide what actions to take.
You think some people who really care about this place enjoy behaving bad in order to be bad and hated by the people he care about? Is this what you are referring to with "extreme misbehaviour"? I am not talking about the bots or the people who doesn’t give a damn about this place... banning these is acceptable. Do we agree on that?
What does this even mean? And no, don't bother insulting my intelligence (again) by saying I cannot comprehend what you're saying. If you were the big Ellen fan that you proclaim to be, you would know that I am quoting the woman herself.... But nonetheless, what you say is generally phrased very badly.

No, as a matter of fact, I do not think that people who GENUINELY care about this place enjoy (nor do they actually do it) behave badly and they definitely aren't hated by other members. If you care to look around properly, you will see that alot of us have been members for quite some time. We contribute to the Ellen threads as well as off topic sections. This place is the catalyst to life long friendships as well as being the best and most informative Ellen fansite ... in the world! So yes, you could say that we care about this place - do you see other (new) members hating us? This would be for a reason. We don't question every rule placed upon this board that ensures it runs smoothly as well as weeding out the likes of imdb type members who ask ridiculous and personal questions that disrespect any privacy Ellen might be able to hold onto.

I wouldn't have visited this site almost every day (for most of the day) since January 2008 if I didn't care about, not only this board, but most of it's members.

I think you understand what extreme misbehaviour is. But you, for whatever reason, just want to stir up trouble and be in the thick of things around here. When you claim that you care about the board and that you're this big Ellen fan, I do not understand why.

I'm sure these responses will just give you the reaction you're looking for but if you could take just a few tips on acceptable social behaviour within an online community (or any community), it will be worth it your expanded head.


Dominik, apologies for the harshness of my post. I will PM you with my reasons.
Image
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers
User avatar

CinemaDust
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 702
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 1:16 am
Location: Delaware
Status: Offline

Apr 19, 2009 12:22 pm

Lori, you're awesome..and that is all that needs to be said.
User avatar

Topic author
devouringone3
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: Québec
Status: Offline

Apr 24, 2009 5:20 am

Wow it was all so easy for you to just set it down to insults, sophisms, arrogance, frustration, and hatred.

It just took me two blank, inoffensive, unshakeable posts...

lol I think you should start by respecting your own rules first :biggrin: . Reading the code of conduct helps.

Oh and get real too, yet you still haven't realized for yourself If I ever broke a rule really... you just hate me and this will get me another ban pretty soon it is pathetic and funny at the same time.

Can you reasonnably and maturely tell me what I did wrong?

Edit: And... where is that second chance you're talking me about? I see none.
Last edited by devouringone3 on Apr 24, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Gunnar
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 42
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:14 am
Status: Offline

Apr 24, 2009 5:47 am

I have no idea of this past history and maybe I should just shut up but alas I'm totally crap at shutting up :wink:

Why do you care about this new line? I just don't understand what it matters. Dominik in the end wouldn't need to give you any reason for banning you, he could say it was because you wore yellow socks on Monday if he liked. So why does it matter? Just be respectful of other people and their opinions, be courteous and you should be fine. People are different and some people just don't get along as others, nothing to worry about in that context since being a member of this board isn't a popularity contest in any case and I dare say you won't get banned on a popularity vote.
User avatar

Topic author
devouringone3
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 28
Joined: Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: Québec
Status: Offline

Apr 24, 2009 5:58 am

Thanks I can assure you I did all of what you said, just like my good mother always told me, their reaction is just way beyond what I could ever imagine.

I just cared enough about this place to come here true-to-myself, and they obviously have something against it but they won't tell it... I am still asking them.

Really there is nothing more to understand... they seem to think what they want to think and they get mad at me because they want to get mad at me.

But yeah, I care, I don't want to be hated?

Thanks for the calm and reasonnable comment, it feels good, I just can't seem to communicate with them... I must be so bad.
Image
Locked