ReGenesis

Talk about the fantastic Canadian Sci-Fi Series

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 03, 2009 7:33 pm

So far, I have watched the first 3 episodes. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I'm not a big sci-fi fan but I think the show is pretty good.

I had originally planned to watch the first 8 episodes only but I think I'll continue to watch even after Ellen's character leave the show.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jul 03, 2009 7:38 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:So far, I have watched the first 3 episodes. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not since I'm not a big sci-fi fan but I think the show is pretty good.

I had originally planned to watch the first 8 episodes only but I think I'll continue to watch even after Ellen's character leave the show.
The show is only just getting good when Ellen's character leaves the show. :yes: Its definitely worth watching.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I don't consider myself a sci-fi fan at all, but I absolutely loved the show. Be prepared though, like Milo said, the show gradually degrades itself after each season. It's a very character driven series, but as soon as you get attached to a character, they get written off the show :whatever: The first and second seasons are pretty good though.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jul 04, 2009 9:03 am

Baboon wrote:I don't consider myself a sci-fi fan at all, but I absolutely loved the show. Be prepared though, like Milo said, the show gradually degrades itself after each season. It's a very character driven series, but as soon as you get attached to a character, they get written off the show :whatever: The first and second seasons are pretty good though.
Well I said it gets better, but yeah after the first two seasons it goes downhill. The way they go through characters is more than a bit irksome, my favourites all got written off the show. I wonder if they had the typical problems of a Canadian production, not knowing whether the next season would be made or not so actors take other work instead of waiting around hoping.

Jeff.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Indeed, the first two seasons were very good. I really cannot say I enjoyed the third season nearly as much as I enjoyed the first two, which is probably the reason why I never bothered with the fourth season. Used to be a very good show though.

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Jul 17, 2009 12:55 am

I only watched the first 8 eps.

I didn't appreciate how they wanted you to care about every character deeply.
What with the HIV and breast cancer scare.
Too much blunt drama for my taste.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 17, 2009 3:18 am

I just finished watching episode #5. It was OK but I was disappointed that Ellen was only in it for about 20 seconds. She's only in a few more episodes so I guess I better get used to her not being there.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jul 17, 2009 4:05 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:I just finished watching episode #5. It was OK but I was disappointed that Ellen was only in it for about 20 seconds. She's only in a few more episodes so I guess I better get used to her not being there.
Her character arc becomes quite important in episodes 7 and 8.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 27, 2009 3:27 am

bluetoes591 wrote: Her character arc becomes quite important in episodes 7 and 8.
Just watched Episode #7 and it was very good. It stinks that I have to wait a week until Episode #8, I should have just bought the DVDs and watched them all in one day. :) I am totally hooked on this show.

Didn't Ellen win an award for her last episode?

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Aug 03, 2009 9:05 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote: Didn't Ellen win an award for her last episode?
She did, she won the Gemini for Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Supporting Role in a Dramatic Series in 2005.

funkenderstadt
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 13, 2009 7:32 pm

oh i think i knew ellen here. Is not bad but i think is a mix of ER and the book NEXT with a parrot what can talk :) is a difficult book for read because speak a lot of genetic the some than regenesis . I can understand you

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I too only watched the first 8 episodes (the ones with Ellen in), then about 2 weeks later, got completely bored and watched the last episode ever as she was in archive footage. To me, the first 8 episodes were very entertaining and I actually got withdrawl symptoms afterwards but my friend wanted his boxset back and I don't have any money. When I managed to catch the last episode on Syfy I was blown away by how rubbish the show had become. Sure most of the main characters were around but the plot seemed stupid and the story was laid out so badly... I'm just glad I didn't watch every single episode, get attached, then have to round it all off with that rubbish.

For me, Ellen's performance as Lilith in this is one of her best ever.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 19, 2010 12:13 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:I too only watched the first 8 episodes (the ones with Ellen in), then about 2 weeks later, got completely bored and watched the last episode ever as she was in archive footage. To me, the first 8 episodes were very entertaining and I actually got withdrawl symptoms afterwards but my friend wanted his boxset back and I don't have any money. When I managed to catch the last episode on Syfy I was blown away by how rubbish the show had become. Sure most of the main characters were around but the plot seemed stupid and the story was laid out so badly... I'm just glad I didn't watch every single episode, get attached, then have to round it all off with that rubbish.

For me, Ellen's performance as Lilith in this is one of her best ever.
If you're still wanting to see more of the early episodes... just try hulu, never used that thing before and I'm not a fan, but it does have all of the first 3 seasons, which is the best I'm gonna get until I have enough money to get a DVD set.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 03, 2010 7:47 pm

I just watched the first episode on Hulu and I'm absolutely hooked. I plan to enjoy more episodes this weekend :)

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nov 18, 2011 6:03 am

Going to be on the Science net in US:
Science net picks up Canadian series
'Regenesis,' starring Ellen Page, aired from 2004-08
By SAM THIELMAN
Discovery Communications cabler Science has picked up Canadian sci-fi series "Regenesis," a show that incorporates real scientific breakthroughs into storylines about an anti-bioterrorism task force. Series stars "Inception" and "Juno" actress Ellen Page and "Nikita" thesp Peter Outerbridge.
Series ran in Canada from 2004 to 2008 with a total of 52 episodes. It will air on Science starting Nov. 26 at 8 p.m., with new segs skedded for regular rotation Sundays at 10 p.m.

Contact Sam Thielman at sam.thielman@variety.com
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)