Whip It - posters

Ellen kicks some ass as Babe Ruthless

Topic author
JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 07, 2011 4:44 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

plexus
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jul 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Nice poster, very eye-catching, and not just because of Ellen :D

I slowly get used to the german title, but the tagline is still awful (imho).
Beware! Reading jeopardizes stupidity!

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 09, 2011 5:45 pm

"Sometimes, the (skating) track is the right way"...I think that would be the English translation to the Tag Line. Yes kind of weak tag.

Hopefully Whip It...er Roller Girl...does well in Germany :)

Cool poster, though

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I've always loved that picture of Ellen the most out of all of the ones of her in Whip It, but yeah, the title and the tagline are a little dodgy.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:"Sometimes, the (skating) track is the right way"...I think that would be the English translation to the Tag Line. Yes kind of weak tag.

Cool poster, though
Almost right, but it's hard to translate it 1:1. However, if you translate it word by word it says "Sometimes going astray is the right way," whereupon "schiefe Bahn" is rather a metaphor for the banked track in this case. Like Ben said, the German title is very dodgy and sounds more dramatic than the actual movie is.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 12, 2011 7:24 am

Dominik wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:"Sometimes, the (skating) track is the right way"...I think that would be the English translation to the Tag Line. Yes kind of weak tag.

Cool poster, though
Almost right, but it's hard to translate it 1:1. However, if you translate it word by word it says "Sometimes going astray is the right way," whereupon "schiefe Bahn" is rather a metaphor for the banked track in this case. Like Ben said, the German title is very dodgy and sounds more dramatic than the actual movie is.
Thanks for clearing that up. I tried to think of a better translation or colloquialism...but just could not. Good that I am not writing the taglines for movies :D

harzer_knaller
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am

I don't know...
I like the original better...
But maybe I'll try to get the German poster, too, I still have some space left on my walls^^