Awesome!

Ellen kicks some ass as Babe Ruthless

Topic author
Robert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Feb 23, 2010 12:45 am

Recently watched Whip It, of course it was just awesome. What did you guys think?

Great movie as always, can't wait for the others!
Knowledge is power and without power, you're nobody. -Self

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm

No one?

Well, I was rather disappointed by the movie. Felt like it was trying to be too many things at the same time and ended up being a glorified clipshow. (didn't I read that somewhere...?)

I would have loved to be more invested in Bliss's journey. There are some really great Ellen moments, but inappropriate silliness kept taking me out of the movie...

Topic author
Robert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mar 01, 2010 1:12 am

Bifrons wrote:No one?

Well, I was rather disappointed by the movie. Felt like it was trying to be too many things at the same time and ended up being a glorified clipshow. (didn't I read that somewhere...?)

I would have loved to be more invested in Bliss's journey. There are some really great Ellen moments, but inappropriate silliness kept taking me out of the movie...
I agree with the silliness, though I tried to ignore some of the ignorant parts which could've ruined the movie if I thought more into it.

Shame nobody else has their 2c to offer :(
Knowledge is power and without power, you're nobody. -Self

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 01, 2010 2:57 am

I thought the movie was good but not great. Ellen was good but this story has been told so many times before.

There were some really good scenes but the movie as a whole was a little disapointing.

Danae
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

I have noticed lately that in order for someone to classify a movie as good, one or both of the following must be happening:

1) The movie, from the artistic point of view (meaning the directing, the acting, the scenery etc), must be really good.
2) One must identify, at some level, with the main character.

(The above sounds like a mathematical theorem :sassy: Well, it’s way more complicated than that, but I hope everyone knows what I mean…)

In my opinion the movie lacked (1) (only as far as the directing and scenery is concerned). For example, I would have liked more action in the roller derby scenes. Not that they were totally flat, on the contrary. Maybe the music wasn’t “lifting” enough, I don’t know…

On the other hand, the movie had many good elements. First of all, the way the rules of the roller derby were presented was very clear and easily understood by people like me that had never even heard of it before. Additionally, we had the chance to see the “insides” of this sport (meaning how the girls felt, what they were thinking etc). Last but not least, the Mother-daughter relationship was one that I had never seen in any other movie. To me, that was the most interesting part of the movie, to see how Bliss could balance between what she liked and what her mother wanted for her. All the actors and actresses did a great job and Ellen Page incarnated Bliss in a very realistic and honest way.

My rating was 7/10.

x-must
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Easy role for Ellen...
hey

VersitileEllen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Whip it was an amazing movie, I really enjoyed it. Ellen is such a great actor!

SueAnn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dec 18, 2010 8:03 am

I loved Whip It!! I thought it was pretty funny, and it was different. I had never seen a roller derby movie before I had seen Whip It. I love Ellen's character, who, unlike alot of other girls, would rather be a badass skater than a beauty queen. That's pretty awesome. :)

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 18, 2010 9:59 am

SueAnn, try not to unnecessarily bump topics just to say you liked something. It's generally frowned upon here. We all make these mistakes when we're new to the board, I sure did, so I'm not hassling you or anything it's just generally we try to discuss news as it arises. If new news related to Whip It! came up we'd discuss it, but we avoid posting things such as "I liked it" that add nothing new to conversation.

Again, nothing personal.
Last edited by HeartHer on Dec 20, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Dec 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for helping out HeartHer. :)
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Dec 20, 2010 8:54 am

bluetoes591 wrote:Thanks for helping out HeartHer. :)
No problem, I'm always willing to take a bit of the work off of the mods' hands :D. Especially on a very slow posting day, it's all there is to do :lol2:.

SueAnn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm

HeartHer wrote:SueAnn, try not to unnecessarily bump topics just to say you liked something. It's generally frowned upon here. We all make these mistakes when we're new to the board, I sure did, so I'm not hassling you or anything it's just generally we try to discuss news as it arises. If new news related to Whip It! came up we'd discuss it, but we avoid posting things such as "I liked it" that add nothing new to conversation.

Again, nothing personal.
I appreciate you trying to help..but the starter of this topic did ask what everyone thought of the movie, so I said what I thought, and I put alot more than just "I liked it". Besides, other people shared their thoughts too, some typed shorter sentences than mine.
So I am afraid I still do not understand what the problem is here. Forgive me if I missed something. =/

Wait, I think I know what you are talking about, HeartHer. Are you talking about replying to an old post?
If so, I didn't think that November seemed too old..only a month. I apologize if it is considered old here.
[Update] SueAnn, HeartHer, please read my PM and discuss further by PM only. JimH
Last edited by JimH on Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: SueAnn, HeartHer, please read my PM and discuss further by PM only.