Whip It - $4.9 Million Weekend

Ellen kicks some ass as Babe Ruthless

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 05, 2009 6:43 am

Whip It finished the weekend at $4.9 million in its opening weekend in North America

I thought it would do much better (6-7 million)....although it was shown at only 1700 theatres....not 2100 as previously reported. The weekend winner, Zombieland, opened at about 3100 theatres

Link to Box Office Mojo: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2617&p=.htm

All is not bad news, however:

Note that it was bumped up one week...so it is possible some theatres could not include it in their rotation.

Also....this week most of the actors will be making the rounds on the talk shows....Of course, Ellen will be on "Ellen" (DeGeneres) and Conan....which I am sure were scheduled when the movie was supposed to open Oct 9....also Kristin Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Eve, will be on the late nite talk shows this week...so we will get more PR for Whip It

And....next week there is only one major film opening....Couples Retreat...so Whip It should at least keep its first week totals.....and some of the dog films get cleared out. Hopefully more theatres pick up Whip It. This weekend Whip It distribution was somewhere between "Limited" and "Wide"

Be Ellen's Hero....go see Whip It :D

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Oct 05, 2009 7:05 am

That's not too bad considering! It's getting some pretty good reviews from what I've read (an unimpressed one too :( ).

Imma going this week!!! It only comes out Thursday.
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am

Hey Lori :waving: You will love Whip It!

By the way......do you get a program called "Rove" in Oz? Drew Barrymore is supposed to be on that show this week...probably promoting Whip It....not sure if Ellen is slated for any Oz interviews

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Oct 05, 2009 7:52 am

Yep, just answered you in A&E! I'll be sure to be watching this Sunday :D And I bloody hope EP is with her! That would be WICKED! :laugh: I doubt it though but I'll keep a little bits of hope up anyways, just in case :totalhappy:

`Laura
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Aw. I thought it would do better as well, but it probably is because there hasn't been much promotion done as of yet.

Anyone else planning on watching Conan tonight? :cheekygrin: I'm quite excited.

Allan
R.I.P 1952-2012
R.I.P 1952-2012

Oct 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Looks like the flick hasn't found its target audience yet. According to Box Office Mojo which was referenced above,

"Whip It stumbled in its first box office derby, drumming up an estimated $4.9 million at 1,720 sites, and it wasn't for lack of promotion. Director Drew Barrymore's coming-of-age sports comedy-drama featuring Ellen Page from Juno was supported by a spunky advertising campaign (including sneak previews) about self-empowerment, but the movie was a tough sell, given its genre mix and focus on the niche sport of roller skating. According to distributor 20th Century Fox, the audience was 70 percent female and 52 percent 25 years and older."

But like everyone said, a lot can change this week with all the promo we're going to be seeing!

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 06, 2009 6:54 am

Hey Allan :waving: long time no see

I am hoping the appearances on Conan and Ellen help boost Whip It. The talk shows are good PR...and only Drew on Jimmy Fallon was the only one last week. Kristen, Juliette, and Eve will also make the rounds....the last two also have their music audiences, too...which should help

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Just to rub salt into the wound here are some chick flicks which all had a better opening weekend than "Whip It" :rolleye:

- The Perfect Man (Hillary Duff): $5.3 million || (IMO Miss Duff has no talent and should stay a singer)
- Aquamarine (Sara Paxton, JoJo, Emma Roberts): $7.5 million || (just another teen comedy/romance, but JoJo is worth a look)
- Chasing Liberty (Mandy Moore): $6.1 million || (not seen yet)
- Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Lindsay Lohan): $9.4 million || (I wasn't the target audience, but I liked Lilo at that time / a definite non-must see)
- Flicka (Alison Lohman): $7.7 million || (absolutely watchable)
- Ice Princess (Michelle Trachtenberg, Hayden Panettiere): $6.8 million || (nothing special, but still a good movie)
- How to deal (Mandy Moore): $5.8 million || (not seen yet)
- Stick it (Jeff Bridges): $10.8 million || (not seen yet)
- A Cinderella Story (Hillary Duff): $13.6 million || (not seen yet)
- Just my luck (Linday Lohan): $5.7 million || (partially funny, Lohan and Chris "Kirk" Pine had a good on-screen chemistry)
- What a girls wants (Amanda Bynes): $11.4 million || (okay)

Source: www.movieline.com

Granted, these are only numbers and don't say much about the quality of the movie :greedy: :sweating2:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Oct 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Big disappointment at the Box Office.
I'm a pessimist by nature, so it's hard to stay positive right now.
1700 screens isn't exactly a 'limited release' and the average earnings per screen don't bode well, given the importance of the opening weekend. I hope Fox doesn't cut screens already. But if next weekend doesn't bring significant improvement...

On The Tonight Show Ellen seemed more subdued and shy than on Leno and Letterman that time. I know she's supposed to be wiry and tough but she just looked thin and frail (heels never help there).
Drew already did her rounds on talkshows. She definitely has the most mainstream pull. But that didn't get the crowds in...

Sorry, I'm just glum because if this movie tanks, Ellen won't be able to pick and choose so freely anymore...

rburton1228

Oct 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I think we all wish it could have done better. I went to see it the night it opened. Even though I was sort of expecting it to be crappy, I must say I was really impressed. Especially, with the way Drew choreographed all the derby action. The relationships with the characters were also done very sweetly, and realisticly. I think the most touching scenes of all were towards the end of the film. I think both Ellen and Marsha had good chemistry as a mother and daugher. So I was pretty much enjoying it the whole time.
Though in all honesty it could have probably done better here in the states than it did in Toronto. There's a lot of theories to go with that. One is the marketing. When I first saw the trailer even I had reservations, but then I got used to it. Besides they always say you can't judge a book until you have read it all. Second is the idea of female roller derby. Obviously there is a diversity. Some men might enjoy seeing those women be aggressive on the track, and some might not. Then again, female roller derby isnt as popular a sport as it obviously was in the 70s. It's only now starting to find a resurgence. Especially with this film. Thirdly, there is that feeling that it could be a sleeper of a chick flick. It is to a certain extent, but then its a very touching story of this young woman trying to find her place between making her mother happy, and making herself happy.
Then again, I could be wrong, and some may have a better idea then I do. Also you might think that since this is Drew's film, it would have been a movie to check out. Then again, everyone has opinions about certain celebrities. Let's just say I'll rest of that topic alone.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Oct 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Dominik wrote:Just to rub salt into the wound here are some chick flicks which all had a better opening weekend than "Whip It" :rolleye:

Granted, these are only numbers and don't say much about the quality of the movie :greedy: :sweating2:
Yes, and Juno had an opening of 10.6 million but they also cheated by having a limited opening the prior weekend to get the hype going strong. I say we give Whip It time to flush itself out, once Juno got going it was in more than 2,500 theatres and ended up making hundreds of millions of dollars. Not to mention the talk show rounds are only half done. :noclue:
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Oct 07, 2009 2:57 am

Even if Whip It doesn't do well in North America there's always World Wide box office and DVD sales. Plus Ellen will have Inception next year which promises to be a monster, so I think she will still command respect as an actor.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Oct 07, 2009 4:31 am

bluetoes591 wrote:Yes, and Juno had an opening of 10.6 million but they also cheated by having a limited opening the prior weekend to get the hype going strong. I say we give Whip It time to flush itself out, once Juno got going it was in more than 2,500 theatres and ended up making hundreds of millions of dollars. Not to mention the talk show rounds are only half done. :noclue:
I agree.

thereoncewasabug
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Oct 07, 2009 6:29 am

The funny money markets are estimating that Whip It will make $14 mil in the first 4 weeks. Slightly less than half of what the pre-opening estimates.
-"The things you do wrong, they haunt you." "Nah, I mean I'm already pregnant, so what other shenanigans could I get into?"
-"When is it acceptable to use our power and when do we cross that invisible line that turns us into tyrants over our fellow man?" "Silencio, old man!"

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 13, 2009 6:37 am

Whip It grossed 2.8 million in Week Two...down from last week...but not unexpected as most films drop at least 50% from first week totals....overall at $8.8 million in 10 days of release.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com

I am thinking it will make its 15 million budget back just in North America.....so overall Whip it will make money when factoring in worldwide figures, and DVD sales

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am

Kudos to all the optimists out there.
But there's an Elephant in the room and it's name is:

Box Office flop

Those numbers are simply appalling. I'm shocked this movie didn't mobilize its designated audience...

The studio is still a long way from making its money back. Production budgets normally don't include marketing costs and only about half of the total gross actually gets back to the studio.
But I agree, figuring in all markets the movie will eventually make some money. Too bad this won't affect the "Box Office flop"-label...

`Laura
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 14, 2009 2:33 am

I plan on single-handedly forcing this movie to the top of the charts. I've given it 10 movie-goers, myself being three, and my friend two.

I guess people just stereotyped it as being another regular chick flick and decided not to see it. :(

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 14, 2009 6:40 am

`Laura wrote:I plan on single-handedly forcing this movie to the top of the charts. I've given it 10 movie-goers, myself being three, and my friend two.

I guess people just stereotyped it as being another regular chick flick and decided not to see it. :(
Way to go Laura :super:

I plan to see it again this week. :)

Bifrons
Donator
Donator

Oct 14, 2009 3:30 pm

That's the spirit!

Bless you.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Mar 24, 2010 6:52 am

Ok I didn't want to make a new thread so I'll post here...

I have only now gotten to see this film (I bought it) and I have to say that I was disappointed :disappointed: I thought the acting wasn't that great (including EP's performance and I so hate to say that!). The best acting (IMO) was from Kristen Wiig and Daniel Stern.

It seems that it was too true to the book (I haven't read it so I'm not certain on that - just how it seemed to me) and sometimes that doesn't translate that well...

Anyways... I found a review today that I thought sort of summed it up well for me.

Tough chicks in need of purpose

...The good intentions are all there, acted out by the competently quirky and funny cast. But beneath all the tough Girl Power eyeliner, there is an unplaced feeling that Whip It doesn't quite know exactly what it wants to be.

A movie with an indie, gritty feel as these unlikely heroes steal our hearts and break societal norms? Or a feel-good, safe cliche only pretending to be edgy and honest?

Perhaps it's the failing of the often plodding script by Shauna Cross (a former derby roller adapting from her own semi-autobiographical novel) that tries way too hard to be witty and eccentric while serving up a mash-up of almost every other teen coming-of-age flick.

But even as we are left wondering what drives a strong woman to enter this rough and tumble sport, there is still enough genuine heart, soul and subtly tender performances from Harden and Daniel Stern as Bliss' father to fuel Whip It and keep it rolling.