Peacock Hunting

Psychological thriller about a quiet bank clerk

Topic author
happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

Originally posted by happytimeharry on 24th May 2008 17:57

Hello everyone! I'm back from the first part of my adventure to Iowa to catch a little bit of the Peacock filming action. First off, the trip went well. The primary mission objective of locating the film crew was a complete success. Earlier this afternoon my friends and I finally located them in the TINY town of Lorimor, Iowa. Aside from a few crew vehicles and trailers though, not a lot was to be seen. When we went there, all that was being filmed were some interior and backyard scenes. We were not allowed to get too close, understandably, but it was still pretty cool to be walking around that close to a major motion picture set.

When we entered the town, their presence of the filming crew was instantly noticed. As I said before, the town is very small, so it was not hard at all to find the set and other various sites. We quickly parked near the town hall and community center, and began exploring. Extras, who were also all locals, were busily getting in and out of their costumes and going to where they needed to be. It was pretty cool. Down the road I spied some big rigs in front of a house, so I knew it had to be the current set.

The road leading to the set was blocked off quite some distance back, and when we arrived at the barricade we were greeted by a surprising cheerful older gentleman, who was in charge of letting the right people through, while keeping out the wrong people. Unfortunately, we were considered the wrong people. He stopped us and asked who we were. I told him the truth. Just a few college kids from Kansas City looking to catch a glimpse of the action. He told us we were more than welcome to snap a few pictures, just as long as we didn't go past the sectioned off area and we didn't appear to be snooping.

We talked with him for a good 20 minutes about the film and other stuff. I asked him who were in the scenes being filmed at the moment, and he told us that Susan Sarandon and Bill Pullman were on set. Cool to hear, but not what I was after. I eventually brought up the subject of how difficult it was to get any information about the locals and he said they (the crew) were doing a great job about keeping pretty tight-lipped about any information. Of course he then got curious.

"How is it that a couple of college kids from down in KC came to hear about this going on?"

Of course, I told the truth once more

"Ha, to be honest, I happen to be a huge fan of Ellen's, and I heard she was filming up here through my sources ;) so I had to come check it out."

Naturally I then asked him if Ellen was filming in Lorimor. He said that she was already finished with Lorimor for the time being. Drat. Not what I wanted to hear. I then asked him if he knew where she would be, possible next week. He seemed skeptical at first, but then decided that I wasn't some stalker and that I was pretty harmless. He gave me just the information I needed. She would be filming some scenes in Greenfield, the town we went to on day 1, next week starting Tuesday at the earliest. I then thanked him for his wealth of information and we were then off to snap pictures of the town.

So there you have it folks. There's the summary of part one of my little Iowa adventure. I say part one because I'm definitely making the trip back up there this coming Thursday to hopefully catch some more filming and possibly meet Ellen this time around. Oh what an adventure it will be.

I'm sure you're all wanting pics, so here are a few. They're kinda big, but didn't really want to resize them. The rest of the pictures are in the photobucket album linked to at the bottom. :)

The closed off road, with crew trucks in front of the house

some locally owned vehicles being used in the film

The wardrobe and makeup trailers

Here's a little spy shot I took of some of the crew members behind a house further down the blocked off road. I love a camera with a decent zoom. :D

Here's the best shot I could get of the backyard where the train crash scene takes place. If you look close you can see the red caboose behind the fence.

Ok, I'll post the album as soon as I figure out how to post a direct link to it... :whatever:

EDIT:

Ok, here's the album...

Peacock filming in Lorimor

photos with "L" in the title are just shots taken around Lorimor. The "random" shots are just that. Random pictures of the surrounding area to show we were pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. :baeh:

Originally posted by happytimeharry on 29th May 2008 23:14

PART II

Greetings everyone! Just got back from Greenfield. Well, the film crew was in the town square today filming some scenes from inside the Peacock Arms Hotel. Naturally, them being interior shots, I didn't get to see as much as I wanted to. Sorry to inform that yet again, Ellen wasn't there. Damn, I'm beginning to wonder if she's even in the movie for more than 10-15 minutes. :laugh:

Despite the lack of Ms. Page once more, I still got an awesome surprise. But more on that later. Anyway, here are the few pictures I was able to take of the building they were filming in...

Yeah, as I said, not a whole lot to see, but I must say that is one awesome looking building. I didn't get to snap as many pictures because there were a lot of the crew bustling around outside and the last thing I needed to do was draw unwanted attention. They have enough to worry about anyway. I don't think they want to have to take the time to shoo off some kid with an itchy shutter finger.

Oh, now to what I was getting at.

*ahem*

I SHOOK HANDS WITH BILL PULLMAN!!

I'm not kidding you. It was awesome. My little brother and I (yes, I took my brother along haha) probably sat outside the set for about an hour and a half or two hours, watching crew members come and go. After a while they all got the THAT'S A WRAP call and they began to pack up. Who comes out a few moments later? Mr. Bill Pullman himself. After congratulating the crew on a job well done, he walked right over to the few of us gawking from across the street and said hey. That's class right there. I unfortunately didn't get a picture with him though. My damned camera was in my bag about 15 feet away. After shaking his hand I rushed over to grab my camera but when I turned back he had been whisked away. The ONE damned time I didn't have my camera in my hand. Oh well.

Oh, I also THINK I saw Cillian Murphy, although due to his dark sunglasses and being in costume I couldn't make a positive ID. I'm leaving that one as a maybe. Once I see the film or shots of him in his costume, then I'll be able to make that a yes or no.

Anyway folks, there you have it. It was quite the eventful day. Each time I go up there I seem to have just a little better luck. I must be slightly insane to say this, but I am tossing around the idea of going up there one more time on Saturday. They're supposed to be back in Lorimor. It's going to depend on...

A: The weather
B: If I really have Sat-Sun off like I think I do
C: If my friends will come along. I'm not going alone just because it's kind-of creepy and draws too much attention. I'm just curious and mean absolutely no harm, but how would they know that?

If I do go up there, it's going to be with the mindset that I'm going to go simply to see a little more filming, and any actors I happen to see/meet is just a bonus. I'm done going up there with the mindset of meeting Ellen since that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. If I do, awesome, If I don't, no harm no foul.

So. Who wants to shake my hand? :D

Originally posted by happytimeharry on 30th May 2008 23:39

Hey, it's been my pleasure to contribute something to this wonderful community. Also, if it hadn't have been for some awesome help, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did. I should be the one giving the thanks. :)

I do ask of one more thing. They are still going to be up there in various locations through June 13th. If anyone happens to uncover any dead-on information (you know what kind I'm after) please let me know. I will be keeping my eyes peeled as well. This weekend is bunk, but if I get some incredible information within the next two weeks I would be all for making one final trip. I'm not betting on anything changing but I'm still keeping my options open.

Whew, maybe having the weekend off will be good for me. For the past three weeks or so I've done nothing but plan around this whole ordeal. I'm bushed. :baeh:
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

crazy burgers
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Dec 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Thank you for the contributions :)

That is pretty ace you at least experienced that. :)

Movies and sets are different. And of course time

I read on imdb a fan who got to encounter kristen stewart twice in the short time she shot welcome to the riley's before she went off to promote world wide twilight.
Even as a member of the walking dead, I was not yet forsaken.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Nice pictures, harry. If I may ask, what sort of camera are you using? Thanks for the pictures. I am looking forward to this movie, actually. We just got a nice big theatre near where we live! :) It's coming out sometime in June, right?
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

CinemaDust
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jan 23, 2009 5:49 pm

dude, thanks so much for posting harry! Awesome stuff.

Topic author
happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

Jan 31, 2009 6:41 am

Forum Shark wrote:Nice pictures, harry. If I may ask, what sort of camera are you using?
I was just using a little Canon Powershot. It's not bad for a pretty standard digital camera. :)

Gah, I'm still really pumped to see this. It's going to be so good!
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Robert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Feb 14, 2009 6:35 pm

happytimeharry wrote:
Forum Shark wrote:Nice pictures, harry. If I may ask, what sort of camera are you using?
I was just using a little Canon Powershot. It's not bad for a pretty standard digital camera. :)

Gah, I'm still really pumped to see this. It's going to be so good!
wow nice yeah I can't wait either - its gonna be bad ass! :D
Knowledge is power and without power, you're nobody. -Self

devouringone3
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Mar 21, 2009 5:50 am

Yes, thanks for taking the time to share every single details, I am sure it is appreciated here...

Very interesting and cool experience man!