Serious about Juno

Oscar-winning comedy about an unwanted pregnancy

Topic author
boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Sep 21, 2009 11:03 pm

How you think real Juno's story is? How you treat with it? (Like a serious story where you can learn on other's experience or just like light comedy genre - just for fun)
Sorry for bad English. It's not my native language.

`Laura
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Sep 21, 2009 11:45 pm

Juno is, above all, a comedy, but there are serious aspects to it. What I gathered from it is that it's important to surround yourself with people who love you for who you are. Leah, Bleeker, and Juno's parents stand by her all through the pregnancy, and really don't give her a hard time about it. On the other hand, Vanessa and Mark's love is more conditional, which is why their marriage doesn't work. They don't love each other for who they really are (a woman who wants nothing more than a child, and a man who wants to be a rock star), and they ignore it until it's too late. Because of this, family is a very important theme to the movie.

Lensman319
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm

`Laura wrote:Juno is, above all, a comedy, but there are serious aspects to it. What I gathered from it is that it's important to surround yourself with people who love you for who you are. Leah, Bleeker, and Juno's parents stand by her all through the pregnancy, and really don't give her a hard time about it. On the other hand, Vanessa and Mark's love is more conditional, which is why their marriage doesn't work. They don't love each other for who they really are (a woman who wants nothing more than a child, and a man who wants to be a rock star), and they ignore it until it's too late. Because of this, family is a very important theme to the movie.
True, True, very true. :yes:

Topic author
boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Hmm…. Not so much opinions. For me Juno is totally fictitious story, which I really like. But I don’t like that in the film all women has strong mature character while men passively immature. Besides, is it normal to give children to adoption from normal family in US/Candada? In my country such action interpret very odd(as minimum). In such situations, when girl born a baby and don’t want to care of him, her parents will care of him for sure.

`Laura
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Oct 04, 2009 10:26 pm

It's interesting how differently some cultures view adoption. While it's unheard of in many countries (Japan especially, as well as many others) in the US it is very common to adopt children when their parents were either too young or ill-equipped to take care of them, rather than putting the burden on their own parents. Although, I really think about Juno's pregnancy as a location or gateway to the real topic, rather than as a core theme of the story.

[quote]But I don’t like that in the film all women has strong mature character while men passively immature.[/quote]
Why do you see it that way? I agree that Mike was a weak character, but all the others (even Bleeker) were mature and strong. However, even if I did agree with what you say, I think it would be a nice departure from what I see much more often, which is the opposite. Most of the time women play the weaker characters, and it would have balanced the regular movie pool a bit.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Oct 05, 2009 12:58 am

`Laura wrote: I agree that Mike was a weak character, but all the others were mature and strong.
I agree. I really liked Mac, I thought he was a supportive and positive influence in Juno's life.

Topic author
boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Oct 05, 2009 2:46 am

`Laura wrote:It's interesting how differently some cultures view adoption. While it's unheard of in many countries (Japan especially, as well as many others) in the US it is very common to adopt children when their parents were either too young or ill-equipped to take care of them, rather than putting the burden on their own parents. Although, I really think about Juno's pregnancy as a location or gateway to the real topic, rather than as a core theme of the story.
In my country a grandchild not interpret like burden. No offence.
`Laura wrote:[quote]But I don’t like that in the film all women has strong mature character while men passively immature.
Why do you see it that way? I agree that Mike was a weak character, but all the others (even Bleeker) were mature and strong. However, even if I did agree with what you say, I think it would be a nice departure from what I see much more often, which is the opposite. Most of the time women play the weaker characters, and it would have balanced the regular movie pool a bit.[/size][/quote]
Okay let see:
Bleeker - he is passive and immature(but it's okay, because he is 16) boy who's overwhelm by mother's care(probably he grow without father). Why you think he is strong and mature? By what actions and statement you seem he so?
Mark - middle-age man, who's already must have life goals and views about family. Instead of that we have grown-up infant.
Mac - must be most experienced man. As ex-military man he have to be determined and know importance of discipline. But I doesn't see that. All I see how blindly he follow Juno's decisions and let Juno do whatever she wants. Also can't understand how easily he repudiate a grandchild(maybe it's my customs).
Last edited by boor on Oct 10, 2009 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

rburton1228

Oct 08, 2009 1:51 am

Not to be rude or anything, but I really don't feel the main theme is about family to this film. I feel it's real central theme(s) are maturity/responsibility. It should be about being grown-up to make decisions even though they may not be perceived as the best ones. I mean look, Juno had the choice not to be involved with Bleeker to begin with, and so she was not totally smart with that decision, but she ended up paying for it anyway. It was mature on her part to go forth with the pregnancy, but it does not mean her family wasn't too happy about it. Maybe family would play a central theme, but you have to remember it takes a mature person to want to be a family member, and stick through it no matter what. The same thing with Vanessa and Mark. She was mature to want this, but Mark was not. As a result he paid the price by agreeing to something he hadn't thought of fully before making the deal for the adoption. Granted it's understandable about his actions, but it demonstrates nothing but sheer cowardnice. So frankly, the film's theme should have been about responsibility. Though I don't regard it as the best film in the world because there is still that moment where it sends the wrong message to teenagers that it's ok to get preganant. Maybe too it will send a message that everyone has a choice in the matter. But when does it ever come to the point of asking yourself to ever making the decision to begin with?