Juno Voted One Of Top 25 Best "Conservative" Movies

Oscar-winning comedy about an unwanted pregnancy

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 16, 2009 7:06 am

Hmmm...since it is really slow....found a list thru Fark http://www.fark.com that linked to a site called National Review Online.

I guess this is a US conservative web-site that writes a lot of "I love W" and stuff like that....but they show some love for Juno....I think? Better not tell them what Diablo Cody did before Juno :biggrin:

Excerpt:

8. Juno (2007): The best pro-life movies reach beyond the church choirs and influence the wider public. Juno was a critical and commercial success. It didn’t set out to deliver a message on abortion, but much of its audience discovered one anyway. The story revolves around a 16-year-old who finds a home for her unplanned baby. The film has its faults, including a number of crass moments and a pregnant high-school student with an unrealistic level of self-confidence. Yet it also exposes a broken culture in which teen sex is dehumanizing, girls struggle with “choice,” and boys aimlessly try — and sometimes downright fail — to become men. The movie doesn’t glamorize much of anything but leaves audiences with an open-ended chance for redemption.

— Kathryn Jean Lopez

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/? ... llY2E3MGM=

When I clicked the NRO link...it was to the Amazon.com site selling the Juno DVD...and they had a video of Cafe Triste scene. Hmmm the NRO readers may not like that :biggrin:

BTW....Jason Reitman has both his movies listed....Juno, and, Thank You For Smoking made their honorable mention

So much irony in this post....

Carlo Von Sexron
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Feb 16, 2009 8:16 am

National Review is one of the most horribly wretched things in all of existence. This is dubious praise indeed.
"We danced in graveyards with vampires till dawn
We laughed in the faces of kings never afraid to burn..."

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am

God I hate it when people label Juno as pro-life.
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

FarrahMoan
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Feb 16, 2009 11:42 am

They are skewing the integrity of Juno's Theme to a definitive degree; that which was meant to impose a rather ambiguous message in the first place. At first, I thought to myself, "This film is ANYTHING BUT conservative!" And in my view, that's how I see it. Doesn't mean that it's ultimately how we're supposed to chalk it up as a collective society. Diablo Cody gave us what is essentially a personally allegorical piece of work. Jason Reitman translated it to film. VOILA! They're actually making it to be more mundane that it really is. Albeit, it is meant to be perceived how the viewer wants it to be perceived. Whatever it was supposed to be, I thought it was a subversive, fresh breath of air to Conventional HollyWeird.

studnothin
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Feb 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Think of it this way; someone just prepared a delicious five-course meal with all the garnishes. Now lets say there's sauteed broccoli in that meal, and that's all this one particular person can talk about. I mean they just rave about the damned broccoli, completely ignoring the grilled yams and smoked salmon in turnip sauce. No doubt about it, the broccoli is great, but their limited palette to appreciate anything else demonstrates a fairly one-sided, reductionist point-of-view of that meal in it's entirety. They simply picked at the parts they liked, leaving the rest on the plate, then evaluating the entire meal based ONLY on what they ate--the broccoli.

Moral of the story: Never trust a conservative who tries to "square the circle" so they too can understand what everyone else is talking about. They're always pissin' on your leg and telling you it's raining.
Though, I don't know how well a crushed lunchbox with a spear through it would work...

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Feb 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Interesting analogy.
studnothin wrote:They're always pissin' on your leg and telling you it's raining.
Nice phrase :laugh:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."

wakarimasu
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Feb 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Juno was praised as a pro-life movie here in Italy by a conservative publisher just before its release date.
I can see why some people regarded it as having a pro-life message but still it's a bit far-fetched interpretation.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Feb 16, 2009 10:14 pm

People see things their own way. The religious right justifies their enjoyment of the movie by calling it pro-life instead of shunning it for its premarital sex.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Allan
R.I.P 1952-2012
R.I.P 1952-2012

Feb 17, 2009 6:11 am

I think it's great that Juno is a movie that can be loved by people of all political persuasions. And it's a testament to Ellen's acting ability that she can also be loved for what she does by people who may not necessarily agree with her personal political views. I feel she is an actor first and foremost, and isn't all about using her growing popularity to espouse one cause or another. She occasionally attends an event she believes in and makes a statement, but I get the impression from her that she's more focused on acting and not those causes. (She can draw a line between the two.)

I find it kind of annoying when entertainers use their fame to make political statements because then when I'm watching them in a movie or listening to them sing, I can't get whatever they said about abortion or whatever out of my mind. As a right-wing author said in the title of a book she wrote a few years ago, "Shut Up and Sing."

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 17, 2009 6:36 am

FarrahMoan wrote:They are skewing the integrity of Juno's Theme to a definitive degree; that which was meant to impose a rather ambiguous message in the first place. At first, I thought to myself, "This film is ANYTHING BUT conservative!" And in my view, that's how I see it. Doesn't mean that it's ultimately how we're supposed to chalk it up as a collective society. Diablo Cody gave us what is essentially a personally allegorical piece of work. Jason Reitman translated it to film. VOILA! They're actually making it to be more mundane that it really is. Albeit, it is meant to be perceived how the viewer wants it to be perceived. Whatever it was supposed to be, I thought it was a subversive, fresh breath of air to Conventional HollyWeird.
Great post....the greatness of Juno was that it went against a lot of the conventions of Hollywood and entertainment. And more than just "having a baby" :D

bluetoes591 wrote:People see things their own way. The religious right justifies their enjoyment of the movie by calling it pro-life instead of shunning it for its premarital sex.
I guess Juno made them more welcoming of Bristol Palin :biggrin:

CinemaDust
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Feb 18, 2009 12:38 am

LostPilgrim wrote:God I hate it when people label Juno as pro-life.
ERGH! Me too! Just because she DOESN'T get an abortion makes this a pro life film? I don't get it. That's like saying a movie with a heterosexual couple is "anti gay".
I can't believe this film is seen as "controversial". I didn't see anything controversial about it.

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap

Feb 18, 2009 12:42 am

It's as if they think that being pro-choice means getting an abortion. That's just bollocks.

pirata
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Feb 18, 2009 3:14 am

the conservative people grab of anything to sustain their believes