Juno Now On Cinemax (Cinemax Channels)

Oscar-winning comedy about an unwanted pregnancy

Topic author
UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Last weekend, the US cable movie channel Cinemax debuted Juno (its first pay cable channel appearance).

Check out the schedule on http://www.cinemax.com

There are a number of different Cinemax channels, so it may not be on the speicfic one you get (Satellite subscribers should get more than one Max channel)...they should be showing it in the evenings (and some afternoons) quite a bit in the next few weeks

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 20, 2009 9:58 am

I saw "Juno" recently on the ORT(Russia)and I didn't like it. Of course Ellen's play was as always talented, but the plot is poor,i think...No strong emotions,no empathy to the hero... The film is typical american.No zest... :confused:

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jun 20, 2009 11:59 am

I have a feeling the movie does not translate well to other languages due to the amount of slang. This would certainly make the movie seem as thought it has less depth.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

miKe
Ghost Cat Hero
Ghost Cat Hero

Jun 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Irina wrote:No strong emotions
Maybe it's a cultural thing. :noclue: I thought Juno had some pretty strong emotions in the van, but she handled them differently than a lot of people would, or maybe differently from what you were expecting.

I know there are a lot of American comedies that dont have much empathy, but i didnt think this was one of them. Maybe the language had some effect, like Milo said.

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Maybe, but I think, that there is no problem in the language.The pregnancy of the teenage girl doesn't elapse in such way,for example in Russia.In this case girls usually give their children to the orphanage with no humour...But that's not frequent phenomenon,fortunately.
So,I think in the USA or in Canada the film has got a success, but not in our country.There is another kind of humour there.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Jun 21, 2009 9:15 pm

If she'd given the baby to an orphanage or had an abortion there really wouldn't have been enough story to warrant a movie. Its not normal for people to give their babies to somebody they find in the back of a newspaper here either. Its not real life, its a movie.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 22, 2009 9:36 am

I know that, but, all in all, I didn't like the movie.That's all I wanted to say. ;)

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 22, 2009 10:01 am

Jeeze I would hate to watch a Russian comedy movie :haeh: ...sorry but Juno is the movie that started it all for me :yellowcard: :redcard:
I could only envisage a Russian Juno :rofl: :givethefinger1:
:)
Our dreams keep us youthful and alive,the very breath which helps us thrive.
Our dreams are tangible and they keep us optimistic.
It's intangible when our dreams go from a dream to becoming realistic.

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Joe R., what did you want to say?If you like this movie-I don't care!I've got my own opinion,so what?I thought that it's international site,where people can discuss the films! :cheekygrin:
I didn't understand your last phraze :doubtful:

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 23, 2009 1:27 am

Sorry Irina, I did not mean to offend you. I was just expressing my emotion about the film, like you said, "this is a site to discuss movies and our opinions." :agreeing:
And that last line was nothing bad... It's just evident that Americans and Russians(Not all) have a diffrent take on comedy. And I think a Russian Juno would also be funny to watch Just like this Juno was funny. Just what I Think
:)
Once again no disrespect intended. There's somtimes a failure to convey certain emotions when writing
:yes:

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jun 23, 2009 2:11 am

Joe R. wrote: There's somtimes a failure to convey certain emotions when writing :yes:
Aint that the truth :yes: Having no tone or expression (emoticons do help marginally) makes it very difficult for the author to express what they're truly trying to get accross.

I'm sure not disrespect was intended :)
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Irina
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Joe R., i'm happy that we understood each other eventually :agreeing: Good luck! ;)

Joe R.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Thats good to hear Irina, just wanted to clear that up :)

Lori wrote:
Joe R. wrote: There's somtimes a failure to convey certain emotions when writing :yes:
Aint that the truth :yes: Having no tone or expression (emoticons do help marginally) makes it very difficult for the author to express what they're truly trying to get accross.

I'm sure not disrespect was intended :)
And Thanks Lori, I appreciate you having my back on that one.
I'm sure you've had your issues trying to convey something, only to have it come out wrong. :cheekygrin: ;-)