Easter Egg on the Smart People DVD

Page, Quaid, Church and Parker in one movie

Topic author
Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is an easter egg (i.e. a hidden featurette) on the Smart People dvd. It's a featurette that shows the premiere of Smart People at the Sundance film festival. In the featurette, the entire cast except Ellen, shows up. However, Thomas Hayden Church, the actor that plays Ellen's character's Uncle, reads a lovely email that Ellen sent, which explains her absence - she was busy in Europe at the time promoting the juggernaut that is Juno.

To access the hidden featurette, do the following:

1) Go to the bonus features section on the dvd
2) Go to the audio commentary section
3) Click on the down arrow of your dvd remote control
4) The "Smart People At Sundance" featurette will appear on the menu directly below the audio commentary section
5) Click on the "Smart People At Sundance" to view the featurette

rburton1228

Nov 09, 2009 8:07 pm

I know I've seen this on my copy of the DVD. It's just too bad you don't see these kind of Easter Eggs with her other films like "Hard Candy" (which was also shown in Sundance). Then again, it be nice to see videos of the Toronto film festivals which honored "Whip it," "Juno," "The Tracey Fragments," etc. It be nice to have those videos included on those films. But I suppose its too much to ask that they later put them out on special edition Blue Ray or DVDs.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Nice find :D Funnily, this featurette is a regular content on the German DVD, that means you don't have to look for hidden items in the menu :twinkle: Everyone can watch this video in the 2008 Event clips section on the website, by the way (scroll down to the fourth row; the video is dated January 20, 2008).
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 10, 2009 12:44 am

It's odd that this is a regular featurette on the German dvd, but not in the North American one. Dom, do Europeans in general not like "easter eggs" in their dvds? I think North Americans quite like them, and oftentimes the back of a dvd/blueray will say under the bonus features section something like "includes director's commentary, making of featurettes, easter eggs...etc."

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nov 11, 2009 10:49 am

Strawberry_Letter23 wrote:Dom, do Europeans in general not like "easter eggs" in their dvds? I think North Americans quite like them, and oftentimes the back of a dvd/blueray will say under the bonus features section something like "includes director's commentary, making of featurettes, easter eggs...etc."
I don't know because I can't speak for the millions of Europeans :D I for myself don't actively look for them when I buy a DVD or Blu-ray. Mostly you have to push the right combination of buttons on the remote control, find a hidden entry in the menu or something and I don't have the time to figure that out. :rolleye:

Furthermore, you have to know we have companies like "EuroVideo" which are releasing like hundreds of DVDs a month and don't put much effort in this process. That means the bonus features (including easter eggs) are always very limited unless there is material on foreign editions they could use.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jul 23, 2010 12:45 am

I was disappointed to have absolutely no special features on my dvd whatsoever. Rather smelly indeed. The Tracey Fragments only had a few photos