The Girl Next Door = An American Crime

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

Topic author
AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Hmm. Not sure if this is sticking around in some archive. I watched The Girl Next Door Netflix/Horror.
It is nearly an exact version of American Crime. Brutal....many ways worse than what they did in AC. It could be simply the same story with different names for the actors. Both released in 2007. This movie took place in the 50's not the 60's per AC.

Gregory Wilson Directed. Based on a book by Jack Ketchum??? True story? Just looks like a rip off to me. It's worth watching, but you'll know what is coming every inch of the way.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Apparently, according to IMDB's FAQ, it's based on the book which is based on the story of Sylvia Likens. It's basically a slightly edited version of the same events with the names changed. 'An American Crime' is way better though, or so I've heard. :rolleye:
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I have not seen The Girl Next Door, but it would be very tough to top the performances of Catherine Keener and Ellen. So if I have to see a movie about Sylvia Likens, I would go with An America Crime.

Topic author
AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I've seen An American Crime. TGND is much longer with more horrific violence. Really need both movies about this?

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Sep 07, 2010 9:31 pm

TGND is much more graphic and showed things that were totally made up and never actually happened. Its basically a work of fiction and only very loosely inspired by Sylvia's story.

Of course I am biased but AAC is much better.

Noodle
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Oct 25, 2010 12:44 am

Reading this topic title I thought you meant the 2004 - The Girl Next Door. That was very confusing for a minute there.

SueAnn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dec 08, 2010 9:15 am

I remember seeing "The Girl Next Door" back in June of 2009 on TV. It disturbed me, especially since it was based on a true story. It was too horrible to believe. So a month later, I decided to google the true story it was based on, out of curiosity. I read that the true story was even worse than what was shown in "The Girl Next Door". It was totally unbelievable..too horrible to be true, but was. It broke my heart. I think it has impacted me more than any other murder story that I have read about or seen on the news. It still to this day has not left my mind. R.I.P. Sylvia Likens.

I have seen part of "An American Crime" but have not got around to watching the rest. It's hard to watch, because of knowing about the real story, and also seeing one of my favorite actresses (Ellen) get abused..even though I know it was only acting, lol.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Dec 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Noodle wrote:Reading this topic title I thought you meant the 2004 - The Girl Next Door. That was very confusing for a minute there.
:cheekygrin: Elisha Cuthbert at her absolute hottest. :cheekygrin:

Personally AAC was enough, I don't need to see another brutal movie like that.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

SueAnn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Dec 13, 2010 3:47 am

The titles can be confusing.

I like Elisha Cuthbert too. I first saw her in House Of Wax. =]