Blu Ray release in other regions?

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

Topic author
kzm007
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jan 20, 2010 9:52 am

I see that Dominik has a copy in BR of this film. I'm probably asking a stupid question, but what region is it? I'm assuming R2, PAL, and nothing is showing on the Amazon US site, it appears European only ;) amazon.de does not tell me the format or the region, which I find odd.

Does anyone know if/when this will be released in BR elsewhere, preferably R1?

I have DVDs on the way, but I can gladly wait if an upgrade is coming.

Best regards,
Kegan

I've always been fond of pages, the bibliophile that I am; Ellen's simply another Page, albeit of a more fascinating novel - one of the better stories in the many of my life.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

Jan 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Sorry Kegan, I am of no help being in a different region entirely. Good luck!
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

kzm007 wrote:I see that Dominik has a copy in BR of this film. I'm probably asking a stupid question, but what region is it? I'm assuming R2, PAL, and nothing is showing on the Amazon US site, it appears European only ;) amazon.de does not tell me the format or the region, which I find odd.
As you can see in the gallery (click), there's no information regarding the region code on the cover of the German edition. However, I assume it's Region Code B.
kzm007 wrote:Does anyone know if/when this will be released in BR elsewhere, preferably R1?
I have no idea if the movie will ever be released on Region A Blu Ray. Alternatively, you could take a look at the Swedish version (click), which is RC A/B/C coded, i.e. region-free and playable worldwide, and has an English audio track.
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
kzm007
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jan 21, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks Dom :) could you maybe point me to a link to order it? This is the reply I got regarding the US/Canada:

"Hi KZ-

We actually cancelled the release of the Blu-ray version of American Crime due to low orders. It is only currently available on Amazon in the standard version. http://www.amazon.com/American-Crime-El ... 750&sr=1-1

Sorry I cant be of further assistance,

Best,

Laura"

So it looks like Sweden's the way to go. Could somebody help me navigate through and find a site that ships internationally, please? I don't speak any Swedish at all, and the only site I found doesn't ship internationally :(.

If that doesn't work, could somebody translate the German for me, please? It looks like the Euro release covers regions A and B, if not C...read it on some site. I'd just like HD quality when possible, and the answer above is just ridiculous...who doesn't buy Blu Ray in the States?

Anyway, Germany is region B, and I don't know if AAC is region free or not? I'm hoping it is, and that I can find a seller who ships to the US. Any help with this is appreciated.

Sigh.

Appreciate the info thus far :)

All the best - Kegan
I found a copy on eBay, and am waiting to see if it is the uncut version of the film...it's a bit pricey coming from the UK, but perhaps I could talk them down if I offered to buy something else along with it. -shrugs- BR releases SHOULD NOT be this difficult to obtain in the US, especially since there are only three regions, this was an AMERICAN incident, and EP is so well-known. It's not only a disgrace to her, but what's more important, it seems disrespectful to the young girl upon which the film is based. I'm very disappointed in the film company for their decision.

So, if the German edition will play in my US PS3, please let me know...I doubt it will, but you'd save me a lot of money. And if anyone can find me a cheaper priced Swedish version, or help me to order one, also please let me know. Thank you very much.

I have also just emailed Laura again, inquiring if there is an international branch I could contact to obtain the film. I didn't come right out and say their decision was a poor one, but I did mention my disbelief that nobody who is a fan of anyone in the film, or who enjoyed seeing it for what it was, would be disinterested in a R1 or R-free release.

Kegan
I've always been fond of pages, the bibliophile that I am; Ellen's simply another Page, albeit of a more fascinating novel - one of the better stories in the many of my life.

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

Jan 21, 2010 8:47 am

kzm007 wrote: ... I have also just emailed Laura again...
:?: Maybe you could enlighten us and tell us who Laura is :?:
kzm007 wrote:So, if the German edition will play in my US PS3, please let me know
I don't know as I don't have an US PS3
kzm007 wrote:And if anyone can find me a cheaper priced Swedish version, or help me to order one, also please let me know. Thank you very much.
How are we supposed to give you a cheaper price if you don't mention the price on ebay? (which is £19.99 / $32.51 by the way) :rolleye:
kzm007 wrote:....could you maybe point me to a link to order it?
Oh dear! It could be so easy. Have you ever checked out the fan corner here on EPO like I told you before? There you will find a page about the Swedish DVD version and see that I ordered my copy at MegaStore in Sweden. If you then use Google to perform a search for "Mega Store Sweden", you will get the url of the shop (english.megastore.se).

Here is the direct link for the Blu-ray edition:
http://english.megastore.se/template/ne ... id=2085373 (Dispatch time: Not in stock: 2-4 working days)

The current price is €12.89 and you have to pay €9.00 for international shipping, which makes a total amount of €21.89 / $30.85. That's 2 dollars cheaper, I think :bluehappy:

Hope that helps
Dominik
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Topic author
kzm007
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jan 21, 2010 9:00 am

You'll need to forgive me, sir. The site really isn't cluttered in the least, there's just a lot of information contained here, and being new to the board, I'm having a little difficulty navigating through everything, so I don't think to check all of the links out right away.

It's a bit like walking through a new house for the first time, trying to remember where everything is. Thank you very kindly for saving me the trouble though, and posting the link to the film. It says it's currently out of stock, so hopefully that will change soon. I've emailed an inquiry.

And I'm sorry, I thought I was clear in my earlier response, but let me clarify about Laura - who it appears I didn't really mention at all.

She is the woman from the film's distribution website (First Look Studios) who contacted me concerning the film's non-release in R1 format due to lack of a demand for it on blu-ray in the US/Canada.

I wonder, is the Swedish version uncut, like the German edition states itself to be? (From what I understand the German is uncut at least; my reading of it is very poor, having to use online translators to English).

Thank you again for all of the help. Just keep pushing me, and eventually, I'll find my way :lol2: I'm just a bit unthinking at times.

(Funny thing is, I used Google; "Ellen Page An American Crime blu ray Sweden/Swedish" and similar phrases, and Mega Store never came up. Furthermore, I don't know how you found that link on the site, because when I typed Ellen Page into the search bar, all categories, this was the only Ellen to show up :totalhappy: I had to type in the actual film title...just thought it was strange, not noting the actress in an inventory search).

Kegan

Still no reply on the Swedish front - so much for Mega Store's 24 response time. However I have emailed the Canadian distributors for the film, Peace Arch next.

I feel like I'm obsessing over this, and that I should be thankful for the DVD at least, but it doesn't seem fair that the film only gets a partial release on blu-ray, considering she's from this part of the world, as is the crime itself, and almost everyone has bought into the newer format nowadays. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

First Look Studios' Laura was kind enough to reply with this list of the movie's global distributor's; the company sites don't appear, but Google can be somewhat productive. I'll try them all if I have to, I've got nothing but time since I'm awaiting a surgery date and some other personal matters to resolve.

I'd love to see results of some kind and know that maybe I was a small reason for it. High hopes, possibly, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil...or removed from the cart and thrown away, depending :longtongue: lol.

Kegan

The Swedish edition has finally shipped, according to the site; after a three-week wait time. I was also lucky enough to pick up a region-free blu ray player for under $100 on Amazon, thanks to a rebate card I had.

Happily, my blu-ray arrived today, and turned out to be region free :) so I lucked out there.