The real story is so much worse

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

HeartHer wrote:I'd assume some of her children are still alive, Gertrude died at only 60 so the others are likely still living their pitiful lives...
John Jr is the only one who has passed and as far as I know he is the only who ever took responsibilty for what he did. Paula, Stephanie, Marie, Shirley, Jimmy and Denny are still alive. Most of the Baniszewskis changed their name to Blake after the trial.

Coy Hubbard and Ricky Hobbs are both dead as are Jenny and Betty Likens. Lester Likens is still alive and living in Florida, last that I heard.

AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Mar 13, 2011 8:18 am

what bothers me the most is how idotic the lookers where. I guess peer pressue was big back them. I just wish I could have been there to take a bat to everyone's head.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 13, 2011 1:40 pm

AddisonTea wrote:what bothers me the most is how idotic the lookers where. I guess peer pressue was big back them. I just wish I could have been there to take a bat to everyone's head.
The worst of them was the neighbor Mrs. Vermillion. She was in the Baniszewski house two times and witnessed abuse both times and did nothing.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 14, 2011 7:50 am

AddisonTea wrote:what bothers me the most is how idotic the lookers where. I guess peer pressue was big back them. I just wish I could have been there to take a bat to everyone's head.
I'd be more specific and make sure it was an aluminum bat, wood might break and I wouldn't get the chance to give all of them proper punishment.

I just read a Time Magazine article about the case from 1966. Horrific, glad they at least cut out some of the things that happened in the movie, as sickening as it already is.

AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Mar 16, 2011 3:30 am

ok. yes. make sure their head is perched just high enough so that their face and head are just waiting for the blow.

phew.

Skepsis93

Mar 29, 2011 12:51 am

It certainly is. A lot of people I've seen around the IMDb message boards complain that it didn't show the full extent of the story but honestly for me it did just enough, and quite brilliantly through the subtlety and reality that both Ellen and Catherine Keener bring to their roles pushes you to go and find out more. Personally it basically threw me into what can only be described as a mild depression for several days after watching but at the same time I simply couldn't shake that nagging desire to go and find out the entire story, as if I somehow owed it her knowing that the full horror was somewhat diminished in the film.

I'm pretty sure the downloadable version of the transcripts is now unavailable (at least I could never get the links to work), but if anyone's still interested I managed to find them here. :)

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 30, 2011 4:02 am

Skepsis93 wrote:I'm pretty sure the downloadable version of the transcripts is now unavailable (at least I could never get the links to work), but if anyone's still interested I managed to find them here. :)
The downloadable version was taken down out of respect for Sylvia's sister Dianna. I did manage to download them a year or so back.

The transcripts are also available at

http://www.sylvialikens.com/forum/

You do have to join the board to access them, though.

AddisonTea
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Mar 31, 2011 7:21 am

ive posted a link months ago...can't recall it, but i thinks it's in off-topic. good info. this is useless.