The real story is so much worse

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 19, 2009 2:17 pm

This article also mentions that the original house was just demolished a couple of weeks back.

http://www.thecabinet.com/darkdestinati ... kens_house

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

May 19, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm just about to go to bed so I won't read that right now - it disturbs me too much. I've read a bit on it and I don't stop thinking about it for days / weeks even so I'll play it safe :rolleye:

That house should've been demolished after it happened. I wouldn't live in it!

Thanks for posting though Jersey :)
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Lori wrote: That house should've been demolished after it happened. I wouldn't live in it!
According to that story, it was a home for battered women for a while, so at least a little good came out of it.

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz

May 20, 2009 1:15 am

Yeah, a bit of good I guess however those poor women are depressed enough already without that dark energy hovering over that house :noclue: But at least it gave then somewhere to go :)
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers

happytimeharry
Peacock Hunter
Peacock Hunter

May 20, 2009 3:53 am

I'm still mad at myself for not stopping at the house when I drove through Indianapolis on my vacation last year. It would have been quite an experience to see the location where such a tragedy occurred.
The world must know my story, So long Amory

Please drive me home one last time

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 02, 2009 9:30 pm

The more I read about the true story, the more this whole thing disturbs me.
I can understand why a lot of the torture was left out of the movie, some of it was just too shocking but I can't understand why the Likens parents visits were left out. Sylvia's parents actually visited them at the house 6 or 7 times in the time that they stayed there. Why leave that out? They could have at least showed one visit.

On the Likens parents last visit, Gertrude put her arms around Sylvia and said "we just love her so much, please let her stay" and it was after this visit that most of the torture occured.

Just sickening.

boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 14, 2009 2:21 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote: ... I can't understand why the Likens parents visits were left out. Sylvia's parents actually visited them at the house 6 or 7 times in the time that they stayed there. Why leave that out? They could have at least showed one visit.

On the Likens parents last visit, Gertrude put her arms around Sylvia and said "we just love her so much, please let her stay" and it was after this visit that most of the torture occured.
Can you give a source. In articles that I'd read never mention that.

Anybody knows where I can find trial transcript for free?
Sorry for bad English. It's not my native language.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 14, 2009 2:44 am

boor wrote:
JerseyDevil65 wrote: ... I can't understand why the Likens parents visits were left out. Sylvia's parents actually visited them at the house 6 or 7 times in the time that they stayed there. Why leave that out? They could have at least showed one visit.

Can you give a source. In articles what I'd read never mention that.

Anybody knows where I can find trial transcript for free?
If you want the trial transcript, go over to the "An American Crime" Message Board at IMDB. There is a poster there named Brain Gaddis who has posted the complete 1966 trial transcript. You'll need to download it, but its well worth it.

boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 14, 2009 3:06 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote: If you want the trial transcript, go over to the "An American Crime" Message Board at IMDB. There is a poster there named Brain Gaddis who has posted the complete 1966 trial transcript. You'll need to download it, but its well worth it.
Thank you very much.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 14, 2009 4:10 am

Just a warning. There are some photos in that file and some are gruesome, photos of Sylvia in her deceased state.

boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 14, 2009 4:44 am

Good to me. I mean - the more material about this case I will have - I'll be better study it. Considering affects on my psychic condition - I'm 26 years old man, with solid psyche. Besides this is not first documental chronicle that I'm studying.

Thanks again.

rburton1228

Nov 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I understood Ellen's intentions to honor the memory of Sylvia with her performance in this film, but every time I see this film, it makes it so much hard for me to watch it. A) Because of what was done to her, and B) because it was a true story. As far as I'm concerned, Gertrude should burn in hell for what she did to that girl. Not only for the torcher she inflicted, but for allowing those other kids to take part in it. Sylvia did not deserve this. I know one thing, if I was next to Gerturde's gravestone, I would want nothing more than to vandalize it. Her actions are nothing short of inexcusable. And she is the sickest human-being who ever lived. Maybe in the end she might have learned a lesson, but actions such as these are ones you DO NOT just walk away from. There's no cop-out to this. You will always pay for your crimes for all time.

boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 14, 2009 6:38 pm

rburton1228 wrote:I understood Ellen's intentions to honor the memory of Sylvia with her performance in this film, but every time I see this film, it makes it so much hard for me to watch it. A) Because of what was done to her, and B) because it was a true story. As far as I'm concerned, Gertrude should burn in hell for what she did to that girl. Not only for the torcher she inflicted, but for allowing those other kids to take part in it. Sylvia did not deserve this. I know one thing, if I was next to Gerturde's gravestone, I would want nothing more than to vandalize it. Her actions are nothing short of inexcusable.
Don’t be so childish. Put your wrath energy in useful stream. Observe your neighborhood, get known better your neighbors, join some active anti-violence group (home violence happens quite often in modern world), spend your free time and free money to helping people etc. That’s shows how really you’re care of it. Instead of vandalize a gravestone and be angry at the dead person. Everybody can kick a dead lion.
rburton1228 wrote:And she is the sickest human-being who ever lived.
Your knowledge so small.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 14, 2009 10:05 pm

rburton1228 wrote: Maybe in the end she might have learned a lesson,
I'm not sure if she did learn her lesson. The movie says that in the end Gertrude took responsibility, but the only time she made a statement like that was to the parole board, so who knows if she meant it or just said it to get out of jail.

rburton1228

Nov 15, 2009 2:30 am

First off boor, you have no right to judge me because you know that I am right and you are wrong about Gertrude. 2nd if you think it's ok to be liberal to Gertrude after what she did to Sylvia, then quite frankly, you are the one who's childish. There is no excuse for her actions. If you let anyone get away with doing stuff like this to kids (which mind makes them feel they can't get caught), then you are no differant than the person who does such horrible actions.

boor
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Nov 15, 2009 3:32 am

rburton1228 wrote:First off boor, you have no right to judge me because you know that I am right and you are wrong about Gertrude.
Yeah! You're so right and I'm so wrong. You have to find and vandalize her gravestone in nearest weekend. Also you have to hire a medium and punish her spirit, make her suffer. That's help to solve the problem. :)

The funny thing - I'd never express my opinion about Gertrude. So why you think I'm wrong? (rhetorical question). And I have the right to judge anybody, like anybody can judge me - it's called personal freedom.
rburton1228 wrote:2nd if you think it's ok to be liberal to Gertrude after what she did to Sylvia, then quite frankly, you are the one who's childish. There is no excuse for her actions. If you let anyone get away with doing stuff like this to kids (which mind makes them feel they can't get caught), then you are no differant than the person who does such horrible actions.
Show me where I said such a thing. Or stop fantasize about what I’m thinking.

bluetoes591
Internet Ninja
Internet Ninja

Nov 15, 2009 3:59 am

rburton1228 wrote:First off boor, you have no right to judge me because you know that I am right and you are wrong about Gertrude. 2nd if you think it's ok to be liberal to Gertrude after what she did to Sylvia, then quite frankly, you are the one who's childish. There is no excuse for her actions. If you let anyone get away with doing stuff like this to kids (which mind makes them feel they can't get caught), then you are no differant than the person who does such horrible actions.
All boor has done is suggest positive ways for you to channel your anger. Gertrude did some sick things, but she has passed away and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Many more sick and twisted people are out there doing sick and twisted things to other people, people who can still be helped.

rburton1228, you are interpreting this as much more personal than it is and you need to back off. I am going to lock this thread temporarily so you all can cool down.
EPO's only formerly bi-coastal member.

Topic author
JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

bobbydean wrote:But as for the movie as I said, Ellen is so good at her roles, I don't see Ellen when the girl is getting hurt, so it doesn't hurt me;
I watch the movie and see the real Sylvia which makes it harder. If I only saw Ellen it would be easier because I know she really didn't suffer what the real Sylvia did, it was acting.

CommanderKool
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Mar 12, 2011 4:34 am

I watched "An American Crime" for the first time today, and I sobbed my freaking eyes out. :weeping:
Ellen did a phenomenal job as Sylvia. She was so damn convincing, I just wanted to reach into my computer screen and take away from what was happening on a set. It was painful to watch, but it was so worth it. I also wanna make a note: To the people who actually did this to Sylvia..I despise you. How dare you do such horrible things to someone so innocent. I hope the guilt haunts you for the rest of your life. That is, if they are still alive. You disgust me. :veryangry:
Be your own hero

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Mar 12, 2011 7:24 am

Try not to bump threads like this, we try to cycle out the old stuff and make room for new discussions.

Anyway Gertrude Baniszewski is dead, serves her right. I'd assume some of her children are still alive, Gertrude died at only 60 so the others are likely still living their pitiful lives...