What a movie

The film version of the fate of Sylvia Likens

woaitang

Apr 25, 2009 5:20 am

After watching the movie I can't tell how fantastic ellen's performce is.About something shown in the movie,you know as a Chinese under different culture it's really hard for me to understand. Sylvia shoud do something to help herself out of it. I never expect people can abuse someone like the family do.It's really hard to imagine.

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Apr 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Jinzaar wrote:This isn't out on region 2 dvd, does anyone know how I can see it?
I have a swedish issue that's region 2 but on amazon there's only region 1 us imports. But there's other ways you can see it of course.

XxbxyboolaxX
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Apr 30, 2009 7:46 pm

I got mine of ebay its a German copy but plays in German and English.

Heres the link to another copy:

http://dvd-video.shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from ... acat=11232

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

May 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Jinzaar wrote:Are the actor's voices dubbed in the swedish version or is it just swedish subtitles?

Because I might ask to borrow it. :totalhappy:
We only dub childrens movies which is pretty damn good.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 02, 2009 4:12 pm

I finally saw this movie the other night on Showtime. While I liked it and thought Ellen was terrific (as usual), I have no desire to see it ever again. I've never had a movie depress me and piss me off so much at the same time.

I had read a little of the real story before and I knew she dies, so the escape scene threw me off a little.

MrBubbles

May 03, 2009 11:39 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:I finally saw this movie the other night on Showtime. While I liked it and thought Ellen was terrific (as usual), I have no desire to see it ever again. I've never had a movie depress me and piss me off so much at the same time.

I had read a little of the real story before and I knew she dies, so the escape scene threw me off a little.
I know what you mean. That film really made me angry. It is difficult to watch but not in a bad way.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 15, 2009 11:29 pm

OK, I broke my word and watched this again. Ellen is just so damn cute, I couldn't stay away. :laugh:

The movie still saddens me, but seeing it for a second time lessened some of the more shocking scenes.

Jeff.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 24, 2009 1:56 pm

As sick, depressed, stressed out as she might have been at the time, I can't help but be disgusted by, and utterly hate Gertrude Baniszewski.
After having seen the film, I already felt incredibly angry, and decided to look further into it.
I read the article, and I really have no words for it. I really can't understand how anyone would even think of doing something like that to an innocent person (hell, even a guilty one). How anyone could persuade their own, and other people's children into it.
Even though a lot of it was covered up/not shown in the movie, I think the producers wanted to get people to look further into the case themselves, instead of showing all the inexplicably disgusting stuff in the movie.

I visited Indianapolis last year, and saw/heard of the "incident". I decided to visit the memorial. By this time, I had not seen the movie nor read the article, and this really had solicited me to watch it, and I'm glad I did.

The movie itself, I'd say, was terrifically well done, Ellen was incredible, as always, and I think she was the perfect actress for this role, as much as I don't want to see her get hurt :].
Though when I saw the film my whole week (and possibly month) was ruined, I'm glad I did.

Has anyone read the novel "The Girl Next Door", as it's based on Sylvia Likens' story? If so, is it any good, and is it worth getting?

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jun 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Jeff. wrote: Has anyone read the novel "The Girl Next Door", as it's based on Sylvia Likens' story? If so, is it any good, and is it worth getting?
Its worth a read as long you understand its a work of fiction thats only very loosely based on the Sylvia Likens case.

Have you read House of Evil: The Indiana Torture Slaying by John Dean? Its a more accurate account of the case written by a journalist who actually attended the original trial. Highly recommended.

Jeff.
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Jun 24, 2009 2:41 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote: Its worth a read as long you understand its a work of fiction thats only very loosely based on the Sylvia Likens case.

Have you read House of Evil: The Indiana Torture Slaying by John Dean? Its a more accurate account of the case written by a journalist who actually attended the original trial. Highly recommended.
Cool, thanks.

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies

Jul 24, 2010 6:47 pm

It was indeed a brilliant movie, but never again will I put myself through that. It was just painful to watch in places, and the end just made me so depressed. Ellen is fantastic in it, and I'm glad it got made and that I watched it, just so difficult to live on knowing horrific stuff like this happens.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

Jul 24, 2010 7:11 pm

GiveHimTheKick wrote:It was indeed a brilliant movie, but never again will I put myself through that. It was just painful to watch in places, and the end just made me so depressed. Ellen is fantastic in it, and I'm glad it got made and that I watched it, just so difficult to live on knowing horrific stuff like this happens.
I agree :agreeing: I'm deeply moved (I frequently cry) just watching short clips of Ellen's performance. As much as I'd like to, I can't bring myself to watch the whole movie. It should be required viewing for some professions e.g. Social Workers.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

x-must
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

So sad, what Silvia is dead...
hey

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm

x-must wrote:So sad, what Silvia is dead...
The entire movie is sad :weeping: I cried like a baby when I saw the movie...
Ellen was brilliant but I can't watch the movie again because it's too much for me :( Hope the story was not real ...
"None but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 15, 2010 6:52 pm

it-must-be-love wrote:
Ellen was brilliant but I can't watch the movie again because it's too much for me :( Hope the story was not real ...
Sorry to crush your hopes but that story is real :(. Knowing what actually happened already I can't bring myself to watch the movie. The prosecuting lawyer called it the greatest crime in the history of Indiana, at least I think it was Indiana.

Also what's horrible is that the woman who tortured Sylvia got parole and was released. She died at a decently old age with her freedom... It's horrible someone could do what she did and get to live on, eventually freely. People who take a gun and blow another man's brains out, quickly and painlessly, often either get life or the death sentence. Someone who tortured a young girl to such inhumane lengths (although really any torture is inhumane, this case was absolutely ridiculous) got out... Horrible.

x-must
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner

Aug 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Ellen, of course, so cute... :oncloud9: :oncloud9: :oncloud9: But pity such good girl Silvia
hey

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 16, 2010 12:15 am

HeartHer wrote:
it-must-be-love wrote:
Sorry to crush your hopes but that story is real :(. Knowing what actually happened already I can't bring myself to watch the movie. The prosecuting lawyer called it the greatest crime in the history of Indiana, at least I think it was Indiana.

Also what's horrible is that the woman who tortured Sylvia got parole and was released. She died at a decently old age with her freedom... It's horrible someone could do what she did and get to live on, eventually freely. People who take a gun and blow another man's brains out, quickly and painlessly, often either get life or the death sentence. Someone who tortured a young girl to such inhumane lengths (although really any torture is inhumane, this case was absolutely ridiculous) got out... Horrible.
The bigger injustice is that Paula got out after serving 7 or 8 years, even after having time added to her sentence for 2 escape attempts. AAC depicted Paula as trying to help Sylvia which she never did, Paula did a good part of the abuse, probably second only to Gertrude. Paula is still alive, she's in her early 60's.

The movie also claims that Gertrude accepted responsibilty for the crime which is not true. At her parole hearing, Gertrude claimed it was the kids that did everything.

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 16, 2010 3:55 am

JerseyDevil65 wrote:
HeartHer wrote:
it-must-be-love wrote:

The bigger injustice is that Paula got out after serving 7 or 8 years, even after having time added to her sentence for 2 escape attempts. AAC depicted Paula as trying to help Sylvia which she never did, Paula did a good part of the abuse, probably second only to Gertrude. Paula is still alive, she's in her early 60's.

The movie also claims that Gertrude accepted responsibilty for the crime which is not true. At her parole hearing, Gertrude claimed it was the kids that did everything.
Absolutely disgusting, almost makes me wanna become a prosecutor to bring some more justice to this world. But I doubt I'd help, it's more complicated than the face value of it and the system has flaws.

But yeah didn't Gertrude force Sylvia to write a note talking about her thoughts about suicide? If I recall correctly she only got caught because one of the other children told the police everything in exchange for getting them out of the house.

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 16, 2010 1:24 pm

HeartHer wrote: But yeah didn't Gertrude force Sylvia to write a note talking about her thoughts about suicide? If I recall correctly she only got caught because one of the other children told the police everything in exchange for getting them out of the house.
Sylvia was forced to write a note saying that she went with a gang of boys and they "got what they wanted" and then beat her and carved the "I am a prostitute and proud of it" in her stomach. The cops knew instantly that the note was fake.

It was Sylvia's sister, Jenny, who told the police "get me out of here and I'll tell you everything."

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Aug 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Yeah that's it, seems like a bit of a pathetic attempt to avoid responsibility for the murder. It's terrible enough that she did what she did, but trying to avoid any responsibility is even more disgusting. That's where I can completely stray away from the idea that Gertrude was just messed up in the head and it's unfortunate what she did, and where I can confirm she's just a horrible person.

Good for Jenny for being brave enough to take a stand when she could, obviously she was too young to oppose Gertrude and any attempt to escape and tell the police would've ended up with her in the same position as Sylvia. It's just a shame that opportunity came so late.

All this talking about the crime itself is making me want to see it. Maybe I'll just watch a few scenes from the database.