Coming Soon: X Men - First Class

Talk about Kitty Pryde and the other X-Men

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 18, 2009 3:55 pm

zane wrote:its kinda close to the end of the movie where the big battle is goin on with pheonix,the one running through wall with juggernaut chasing her that's ellen,i cant exactly remember the smart ass comment she says to the juggernaut but it's funny
Juggernaut says to Kitty "I'm the wrong guy to be playing hide and seek with" She replies "Who's hiding, tin-head?"

zane
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 18, 2009 4:44 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:
zane wrote:its kinda close to the end of the movie where the big battle is goin on with pheonix,the one running through wall with juggernaut chasing her that's ellen,i cant exactly remember the smart ass comment she says to the juggernaut but it's funny
Juggernaut says to Kitty "I'm the wrong guy to be playing hide and seek with" She replies "Who's hiding, tin-head?"
that's right thats right before he runs himself into the wall and knocks himself out classic

Leif
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jul 18, 2009 8:30 pm

JerseyDevil65 wrote:
In the copy I have on my computer she says "dick-head"...

zane
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Leif wrote:
JerseyDevil65 wrote:
In the copy I have on my computer she says "dick-head"...
ya the copy of x3 that i have she says dick-head in it,ha had to watch it again

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 19, 2009 7:36 pm

zane wrote:
ya the copy of x3 that i have she says dick-head in it,ha had to watch it again
I've only watched it on regular TV, they must have cut that out. Damn censors. :laugh:

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

Jul 19, 2009 10:04 pm

bobbydean, usually I try to stay out of stuff like this but since you took my comment and decided to turn it into a rant against the way this board is run, I will speak my mind.

Its Dominik's money and hard work that makes this board what it is. When you start your own board, you can run it anyway you want to. This is a board to discuss Ellen Page and her movies, its not your personal blog.

One more thing, I believe you've posted here before under a different name, your posts are just too similar to someone else's who used to post here, got offended and then left.

I apologize to everyone else for going off topic.

Baboon
The Biggest Fan
The Biggest Fan

Jul 19, 2009 11:21 pm

One more thing, I believe you've posted here before under a different name, your posts are just too similar to someone else's who used to post here, got offended and then left.
There were about 3 users who came to mind, and surprisingly they were all from Michigan :laugh:
Her character, while a secondary one, makes appearances throughout the film.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'd say she had the largest supporting role in the movie. Or rather the biggest part, outside of the core x-men in the movie.

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan

Jul 20, 2009 4:19 am

You don't need to enter "tweet mode". Just know that posting 2 or 3 thread saying how talented and beautiful you think Ellen Page is kind of unnecessary. Also, rants are a little annoying, too.

Anyway, I think this movie could be cool. I want them to stay true to the comics, though. If you saw X Men Origins-Wolverine, you know what I mean by how they got away from the comics. (Deadpool looked idiotic in that movie).
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

zane
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jul 20, 2009 5:42 am

well i havent seen x-men origin's wolverine but i want to,i am a huger wolverine fan,and would love to see more x-men movies but if like you said that there jumping away from the comics then they need to stop for a while or just not do any more,dont get me wrong the movies are one bamf's but i dont want to see a comic movie just become someones thought on how they think it should go

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 20, 2010 2:04 am

Just an update on the X-Men First Class movie - Matthew Vaughn, the director of the superhero movie "Kick Ass", is the director of the First Class movie. The release date for XFC is slated for June 3, 2011. As already stated, this movie will concentrate on the core X-Men of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast...etc when they were young and just learning how to use their mutant abilities. I seriously doubt that Rogue, Iceman, and Kitty et al. will be in this. And if they are, it will amount to nothing more than a glorified cameo. As such, I doubt Fox would pony up the money to pay these actors for such a limited role or screen time. Not to mention that since the film is being released next summer, that means the actors have to be hired now and start filming relatively soon.

On a related matter, when actors join franchises such as these, it's standard practice to lock them into a 3 picture deal. The contracts for Paquin and Ashmore are fulfilled, they were in all 3 X-Men films; so I don't see them being offered more unless the storyline demands it. Technically, Ellen may be contracted to do two more X-Men films. However, there is an expiration date to these contracts, I believe. Brandon Routh, the actor that protrayed Superman in 'Superman Returns' has publically stated that his contract to play Superman has expired. If his contract can expire, so can Ellen's (Superman Returns and the Last Stand came out the same year). It's been 5 years since Ellen filmed the Last Stand, if her contract hasn't already expired, it may soon. Also, the studio holds all the cards. Though they may have an actor under contract for a three picture deal, they don't necessarily have to use him/her. Alan Cumming, the actor that played Nightcrawler, did not get along with Bryan Singer, and publically said so. Not surprisingly, he wasn't asked back to reprise his role in X3. Also, if the studio is unhappy with the actor, they can simply fire him/her.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter...

UCFRdWarrior
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian

May 20, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for the info Strawberry.....I remember reading about Ellen contracted for three X-Men films. I gather with these being the main X-Men when they were young....probably no Kitty Pryde

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster

May 20, 2010 10:16 am

UCFRdWarrior wrote:Thanks for the info Strawberry.....
Yes, thanks for the well researched and well compiled information :thumbsup:

I don't think there will be a cameo of Kitty/Ellen in "First class". Like you said, it's about the young core X-Men of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast and so on. If you factor in that Kitty Pryde was a teenager when "The Last Stand" took place, then she would be like 4,5 years old in that prequel.

Regardless of the contract thing, I believe Ellen would only be willing to play Kitty again, if the story is well-written and her character gets some development and fleshing out. But I don't see this happening any time soon and the general question is if she wants to stick to mainstream movies with a wider target audience like X-men and Inception or prefers to do some smaller independent productions in future. :uhoh:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 22, 2010 5:38 am

Dominik wrote:
UCFRdWarrior wrote:Thanks for the info Strawberry.....
Yes, thanks for the well researched and well compiled information :thumbsup:

I don't think there will be a cameo of Kitty/Ellen in "First class". Like you said, it's about the young core X-Men of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Beast and so on. If you factor in that Kitty Pryde was a teenager when "The Last Stand" took place, then she would be like 4,5 years old in that prequel.

Regardless of the contract thing, I believe Ellen would only be willing to play Kitty again, if the story is well-written and her character gets some development and fleshing out. But I don't see this happening any time soon and the general question is if she wants to stick to mainstream movies with a wider target audience like X-men and Inception or prefers to do some smaller independent productions in future. :uhoh:
You're welcome - always happy to share with other EP fans. :)

Technically, if Fox studios wanted it, they could fit in a Kitty cameo. They could have the movie start in present day and show her, and then have the rest of the movie set in flashback. Ex: Beast recounting to Kitty his past, and his teen years under Xavier at the school. However, it's highly unlikely they'll go this route.

As for the contract, Ellen really doesn't get much of a say in how the character is developed or if she can bail out, I believe. Hypothetically speaking, if her contract is still valid and if Fox says to her, ok, we're aiming for a summer release in 2012 for the next X-Men movie, make yourself available in 2011 for the filming, she has to comply. If she doesn't, she'll be in breach of contract, and the studio could instigate legal proceedings and sue her for it. No actor ever wants this - aside from being sued and owning the studio money, s/he's name in the industry is ruined. No other studio or insurance company would hire such an actor thereafter - such actors are deemed too great a risk and not team players and as liabilities to the project.

Now that said, there is something to be said for being an oscar nominee and having a bit of clout. Due to Ellen's nomination and greater popularity since then, should X4 actually happen, she's in a position to demand a bit more money and to make suggestions for her character. She'd likely get the money, but her ideas don't have to be followed unless the producers actually liked them. Also, due to her greater popularity and fame, the studio would not only give her more money but more screen time, as well. Though this would probably come at the cost of short changing some other actors' screen time. Famke Jansen, the actress that played Jean Grey, outrightly admitted that her role was reduced in X3 due to other actors being highlighted instead. She alluded to the fact that Fox paid a lot of money to hire certain actors and as a result those actors were going to get maximum screen time. Though she didn't name any names, many people believe she was referring to Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry. And of course, Berry's screen time in X2 rose dramatically because she had just come off her Oscar win for Monster's Ball.

Anyway, I digress. Back to Ellen - I don't believe Ellen has a preference for Indie vs. Studio blockbuster. For her, I get the impression it will always be about the story first, and then the creative people behind the project itself. I hope she will continue to do both, though for now, I kinda hope that she sticks to studio movies. Not slagging the indies, but with the current economic climate, and with how difficult it is to get distribution for indie films (Peacock, I'm looking at you), I'd rather she stick to Studio made and distributed films for the moment - this way, it'll be easier to see EP film!

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 22, 2010 6:31 am

I hope she will continue to do both, though for now, I kinda hope that she sticks to studio movies. Not slagging the indies, but with the current economic climate, and with how difficult it is to get distribution for indie films (Peacock, I'm looking at you), I'd rather she stick to Studio made and distributed films for the moment - this way, it'll be easier to see EP film!
I agree, I also find it tiresome in print that after "Ellen Page" we usually see "(Juno)" as though that's all she is known for. But I guess that is the reality if the movie-going-public did not see "American Crime", "Smart People", "Tracey Fragments", "The Stone Angel" or "Peacock" because they had poor distribution or were judged too "Indie". She deserves to be seen and appreciated by a wider audience which implies the studio model. It must be balancing act for her. As a fan I haven't felt any difficulty in accessing any of her work, as long as I'm content to view it on DVD or VOD.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 23, 2010 1:22 am

I agree, I also find it tiresome in print that after "Ellen Page" we usually see "(Juno)" as though that's all she is known for. But I guess that is the reality if the movie-going-public did not see "American Crime", "Smart People", "Tracey Fragments", "The Stone Angel" or "Peacock" because they had poor distribution or were judged too "Indie". She deserves to be seen and appreciated by a wider audience which implies the studio model. It must be balancing act for her. As a fan I haven't felt any difficulty in accessing any of her work, as long as I'm content to view it on DVD or VOD.
The irony is that Juno was made as an indie film. It was a little movie that just happened to get rave reviews and international attention at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) back in 2007. Due to the fantastic buzz surrounding the movie and Ellen, Fox studios snapped up the distributions rights - smart move too as that the film hit over $100 million dollars at the box office. And well, the rest is history. No one, not even Reitman or the stars ever expected it to succeed the way that it did. Ellen's other films, with the exception of X-Men 3 (where she had a minor supporting role), never got any where near the distribution and/or marketing that Juno got. Hence the public at large, who haven't seen these other films of hers, only know her as Juno. Also, since she is typecast as the smart quirky teenager, that's what her detractors think she's only capable of playing - which is a gross understatement and oversimplification, of course. A lof of her of these teenage characters have different emotional and psychological lives - Juno is not Sylvia, who is not Liltih, who is not Bliss...etc. This is like saying all teenage girls are the same. They'e not, obviously. I find that such detractors who make such statements tend to be:

a) young and lacking the intelligence and wisdom and life experience to make the necessary distinctions
b) just plain stupid, and lacking the insight to look beneath the surface generalizations