Rogue/Bobby/Kitty - The Love Triangle That Wasn't

Talk about Kitty Pryde and the other X-Men

Topic author
Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 23, 2010 2:05 am

For those of you that have seen X3, what did you make of the pseudo love triangle of Rogue/Bobby/Kitty? In the movie, it's readily apparent that Kitty had a crush on Bobby and pined after him. The mild flirtation between Kitty and Bobby is the impetus for Rogue's character to seek the cure. Though in reality, it was Anna Paquin's request to have her role in X3 reduced due to her having to leave to film the 'Squid and The Whale.' To accomodate Anna/Rogue's absence, Kitty's role was upped.

At any rate, the flirtation between Kitty and Bobby went through some variations, including some kissing scenes at the ice rink. There was an alternate take in which Kitty kissed Bobby, and another in which Bobby initiated the kiss. Ultimately the kissing scene was cut from the final print of the film. According to director Brett Ratner's commentary, it was decided that the producers didn't want the audience to see Kitty as the interloper, the girl that gets between the established pairing of Rogue and Bobby. They wanted the audience to like Kitty, and it was felt that if she was putting the moves on Rogue's boyfriend that she wouldn't be viewed in a positive light.

The kissing scenes are not available on the region 1 dvd, though I hear that they are the deleted scene sections in the blueray. Some enterprising fans captured the screen kiss and have put them into their fan made X-Men 3 videos on youtube. To see an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdjoqpedWU

Here's another video (no kiss in this one), this time the maker skillfully intermixed scenes from Juno into the mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osdlO7FK ... re=related

Anyhow, how do you feel about it all? Would you have wanted a little love triangle between these three characters? Or are you happy with the producers' decision?

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 23, 2010 2:26 am

Strawberry_Letter23 wrote: At any rate, the flirtation between Kitty and Bobby went through some variations, including some kissing scenes at the ice rink. There was an alternate take in which Kitty kissed Bobby, and another in which Bobby initiated the kiss. Ultimately the kissing scene was cut from the final print of the film. According to director Brett Ratner's commentary, it was decided that the producers didn't want the audience to see Kitty as the interloper, the girl that gets between the established pairing of Rogue and Bobby. They wanted the audience to like Kitty, and it was felt that if she was putting the moves on Rogue's boyfriend that she wouldn't be viewed in a positive light.
Been racking my brain where I saw this, but I read somewhere that Ratner cut the kissing scene because he thought Kitty (Ellen) looked too young in relation to Bobby and he didn't like the "tone" of the scene. I think the relationship was implied anyway and a sweet innocent kiss would have added something to the movie.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

May 24, 2010 12:42 am

Been racking my brain where I saw this, but I read somewhere that Ratner cut the kissing scene because he thought Kitty (Ellen) looked too young in relation to Bobby and he didn't like the "tone" of the scene. I think the relationship was implied anyway and a sweet innocent kiss would have added something to the movie.
I'm not sure what you mean by the relationship was implied. Are you saying that they had a romantic relationship that was implied? Or that the romantic tension between them was implied? It was certainly clear that they were friends, comrades, and that they cared for one another. It was also evident, imo, that she cared for Bobby as more than just a friend. His actions, on the other hand, could be interpreted of that as just a good friend, or as a dude that was attracted to her but who was too noble to act on his feelings due to his commitment to Rogue.

Personally, I would have liked it if the kiss was kept in. I think it would have muddied the waters a bit and brought more attention to three of the junior xmen that were underused. They focused too much on Wolverine, Storm...etc.

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor

May 24, 2010 2:07 am

Strawberry_Letter23 wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the relationship was implied. Are you saying that they had a romantic relationship that was implied? Or that the romantic tension between them was implied? It was certainly clear that they were friends, comrades, and that they cared for one another. It was also evident, imo, that she cared for Bobby as more than just a friend. His actions, on the other hand, could be interpreted of that as just a good friend, or as a dude that was attracted to her but who was too noble to act on his feelings due to his commitment to Rogue.
Without the kiss - romantic tension from stolen looks and glances, but full of potential. With the kiss - it becomes more complicated and interesting for Kitty, Rogue and Bobby.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)

Topic author
Strawberry_Letter23
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan

Jun 06, 2010 3:18 am

Just an fyi that there's another youtube video showing some behind the scenes footage of the filming of X-Men 3. Ellen's quite playful and mischievious in it, and at one point tries to undo Shawn Ashmore's belt while filming. There's also a hilarious scene in which Brett Ratner dresses up as Wolverine and plays out a scene with the other actors.

Here a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7poe8P8Y_g