What do you think of Hayley?

Hayley vs. Jeff - Here are the Hard Candy topics
User avatar

LostPilgrim
Jolly Fine Chap
Jolly Fine Chap
Posts: 2381
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 1:23 am
Location: York, England
Status: Offline

Feb 20, 2009 8:49 am

Lori wrote:Not that I forget, but when you're not constantly thinking about her, it slips your mind of how inspirational and amazing she is as an actor.
What do you mean you're not constantly thinking about her? :stare:
This is where my signature will go. My signature will go here. It will be a good signature. You will look at it and say: "That is a signature."
User avatar

Lori
Aussie Queen Lorz
Aussie Queen Lorz
Posts: 3721
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 8:08 am
Location: Melbourne
Status: Offline

Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm

:rolleye: I knew someone would say it :biggrin:

If she would hurry up and brought a new movie out she would be on my mind a bit more :yes:
Image
Thanks to Milo (bluetoes) for creating this fabulous sig for us over 25ers
User avatar

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 321
Joined: Jan 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Mt.Pleasant ON
Status: Offline

Feb 20, 2009 3:59 pm

This is a little bit off topic, but this movie kind of reminded me of this book series I've read. I will tell you about it, and tell me if you feel the same way.

A 17 year old kid who is on top of his class discovers a notebook that apparently kills people when their name is written inside. He tries it out, assuming it's a joke, and it turns out to be real. He decides to kill of all of the criminals in the world. He does so by the cause of death being heart attacks (he can specify all sorts of things about the death).

My point is, he was cleaning up the world, but at what cost? Killing someone is never right. I think if someone deserves to die, they will.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM

Gunnar
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 42
Joined: Nov 16, 2008 7:14 am
Status: Offline

Feb 20, 2009 7:45 pm

I've only seen the anime of Death Note, but from that the message was quite clear as a bit more than through half the series when he got his father killed and planned to kill everyone in his way. In the end he was just trying to become "king of the new world he created" so yer... it isn't really so comparable.
User avatar

Forum Shark
True Ellen Page Fan
True Ellen Page Fan
Posts: 321
Joined: Jan 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Location: Mt.Pleasant ON
Status: Offline

Feb 21, 2009 1:23 am

I was just comparing the part about the "killing criminals" part. I've read and watched the series a few times, now, so I see what you're saying, but I was comparing the whole series.
"The worst enemy in a battle of the wits is the one who is too witless to comprehend defeat"-JTHM
User avatar

pirata
Potential EP Fan
Potential EP Fan
Posts: 26
Joined: Feb 01, 2009 6:13 am
Status: Offline

Mar 15, 2009 11:54 pm

i see her like a sort of antihero, bringing justice but using the methods that nobody will choose, and in some moments showing indecision and fear
User avatar

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

May 20, 2009 3:28 am

I thought it was great how the movie makes you choose sides between two bad people. I know what Hayley was doing was wrong, but I couldn't help but to root for her. She believed what she was doing was right, while Jeff knew what he did was wrong but did it anyway. I think he probably would have raped and killed Hayley had she not turned the table on him first.
Image

crash11
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 26, 2009 5:21 am
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Hayley Rocked! I would have done worse but I'd have got caught she got away scot free and got revenge on a pedo who killed her friend pure genius
User avatar

Lensman319
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 1:07 am
Location: Lima
Status: Offline

Aug 26, 2009 1:34 am

Hayley Stark, huh.

Well as the character goes, she is indeed crazy. Nevertheless she's also VERY intelligent and has a very human side, (vulnerability), and I think there is no other actress that could've interpreted Hayley as well as Ellen Page.

I think that mix of craziness and vulnerability is what keeps you in your seat, watching through the whole movie.

P.S.
It wouldnt bother me if there were some real Hayleys out there, you know, doing whats right. :yes:
Image
User avatar

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Aug 26, 2009 3:11 am

Lensman319 wrote:Hayley Stark, huh.

Well as the character goes, she is indeed crazy. Nevertheless she's also VERY intelligent and has a very human side, (vulnerability), and I think there is no other actress that could've interpreted Hayley as well as Ellen Page.

I think that mix of craziness and vulnerability is what keeps you in your seat, watching through the whole movie.

P.S.
It wouldnt bother me if there were some real Hayleys out there, you know, doing whats right. :yes:
I would have thought with the name Lensman319, that you wouldn't like Hayley very much. :laugh:

Welcome to EPO. :)
Image
User avatar

Lensman319
EP - Beginner
EP - Beginner
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 1:07 am
Location: Lima
Status: Offline

Aug 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Hahaha :totalhappy:

Its weird the name wasnt taken already.
I just thought it was a great reference to Hard Candy.

Thanks for the welcome. :yellowhappy:
Image
User avatar

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 13
Joined: Aug 06, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: BCN
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Lensman319 wrote:Hahaha :totalhappy:

Its weird the name wasnt taken already.
I just thought it was a great reference to Hard Candy.

Thanks for the welcome. :yellowhappy:
hey!! Are you from Perú?? because I'm from Lima, but I live in Spain...Y porqué te estoy hablando en inglés? jaja debe ser la costumbre...te gusta Hard Candy? a mi me encantó...simplemente adoro cuando se hace justicia jaja aunque es un poco sádico, pero asi se debería tratar a los violadores! jeje...ummmm por mi parte creo que Hayley no era mala, solo que si estaba un poquito loca jeje quizás...no hay que negarlo xD...
me recuerda un poco a la historia de Lisbet Salander...has visto Milenium?? es una buena película, te recomiendo el libro..."Los hombres que no amaban a las mujeres"...son 3 tomos xD pero valen la pena :D
"None but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley
User avatar

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor
Posts: 666
Joined: Sep 08, 2009 2:55 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm

@it-must-be-love

Please note the board rules:
Language
Please use English when posting. Although Ellen Page Online hosts members from all over the world this is an English language forum. We understand if English is not your primary language and encourage best-effort attempts at posting in English.
Top
You are also replying to a post that is almost one year old - unlikely to get a reply and not a good practice.
Unneccesary replying to old posts
Do not reply to a thread in which the last post was more than 60 days ago (called "bumping"). Offenders will be warned and multiple offenders will be banned. The only exceptions are if there's something new or answering a question that had not yet been answered.
Top
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)
User avatar

it-must-be-love
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 13
Joined: Aug 06, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: BCN
Status: Offline

Aug 15, 2010 6:24 pm

JimH wrote:@it-must-be-love

Please note the board rules:
Language
Please use English when posting. Although Ellen Page Online hosts members from all over the world this is an English language forum. We understand if English is not your primary language and encourage best-effort attempts at posting in English.
Top
You are also replying to a post that is almost one year old - unlikely to get a reply and not a good practice.
Unneccesary replying to old posts
Do not reply to a thread in which the last post was more than 60 days ago (called "bumping"). Offenders will be warned and multiple offenders will be banned. The only exceptions are if there's something new or answering a question that had not yet been answered.
Top
Ok I didn't know :rolleye:
"None but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley
User avatar

Glee Plane
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 504
Joined: Aug 15, 2010 4:16 am
Location: D.C.
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 5:00 am

I am on Hayley’s side.

I interpreted this movie as a very complicated negotiation. Hayley wanted to eradicate a sex criminal while Jeff wanted to reveal as little as possible about his secrets and past actions. Hayley came to this negotiation much more prepared than Jeff and maintained most of the leverage throughout. In the end, Jeff caved in and Hayley got what she wanted. Although some of her actions are questionable, ultimately I think that the end justifies the means.
Image
User avatar

JimH
Benefactor
Benefactor
Posts: 666
Joined: Sep 08, 2009 2:55 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 6:09 am

Glee Plane wrote:I am on Hayley’s side.

I interpreted this movie as a very complicated negotiation. Hayley wanted to eradicate a sex criminal while Jeff wanted to reveal as little as possible about his secrets and past actions. Hayley came to this negotiation much more prepared than Jeff and maintained most of the leverage throughout. In the end, Jeff caved in and Hayley got what she wanted. Although some of her actions are questionable, ultimately I think that the end justifies the means.
I like what you said here - you gave a succinct yet precise summation of the movie and your own position. I think most people take one side or the other, Hayley vs Jeff. "Hard Candy" is a great thought provoking work showing what movies are capable of in terms of impact on an audience.
Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start. (Pema Chodron)
User avatar

HeartHer
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 761
Joined: Jul 20, 2010 10:26 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

JimH wrote:
Glee Plane wrote:I am on Hayley’s side.

I interpreted this movie as a very complicated negotiation. Hayley wanted to eradicate a sex criminal while Jeff wanted to reveal as little as possible about his secrets and past actions. Hayley came to this negotiation much more prepared than Jeff and maintained most of the leverage throughout. In the end, Jeff caved in and Hayley got what she wanted. Although some of her actions are questionable, ultimately I think that the end justifies the means.
I like what you said here - you gave a succinct yet precise summation of the movie and your own position. I think most people take one side or the other, Hayley vs Jeff. "Hard Candy" is a great thought provoking work showing what movies are capable of in terms of impact on an audience.
Well now that Jim has posted here I no longer fear the rules :lol2: .

I take a similar view to Glee Plane's, although I don't know if I could quite classify it as a negotiation, no matter how complicated. Hayley drugged Geoff and tied up, and said there was absolutely nothing Geoff could do to stop her from castrating him.

I would side with Hayley because although her punishment was beyond extreme (seriously, drug a man, castrate him, tase him over and over to keep him down while you clean up evidence, then trick him into killing himself on a false promise that you'll clean up the evidence of what he's done, then just say "Or not..." and leave?), Geoff was in the moral wrong. Had he just been a pedophile I'd just classify him as mentally sick, and it'd seem more reasonable for Hayley to just turn in the evidence, but the fact was that he'd participated in the murder of a child. Although it may seem hard to side with someone as hateful and insane (4 out of 5 doctors agree :totalhappy: ) as Hayley, the weight of what Geoff did seems to outweigh the moral wrong, seeing as he is the one who committed the first moral wrong and attempted to do it again with Hayley. It's more like a very complicated fist fight if you ask me, Geoff threw the first punch, no matter how brutal and cheap Hayley's return punch is, I still see her as being more in the right. Although maybe just shooting him would've been more suiting of a punishment for murder, Hayley was supposed to appear to be psychotic and had an extreme vendetta against the guy, so you can see her motives.

The one part where supporting her falters a bit is the fact that Geoff didn't force her over to his house, she had to convince him to take her home. He had never directly murdered someone, but had only observed while a friend did it. What he would've done with Hayley is questionable, it doesn't even seem like he raped his victims, more that he seduced them and illegally had sex with them, which is still wrong. I want to feel bad for Geoff, he's a mentally screwed up person who was absolutely terrified the whole movie and broke down into tears (bravo to Patrick for portraying fear so well).

But I can take all that back with this, he did participate in murder and Hayley never forced him to kill himself. She knocked him out and castrated him, he killed himself, she just gave him the option. Hayley had said that she was doing what she did because she knew if she just busted him and turned him in they'd say he was just mentally sick and put him up in a Mental Hospital, before letting him go just a bit later. She had no proof that he had murdered outside his own word, so he would've been exclusively tried for child molestation. This is where I break the sorta moral-tie, although it was already slightly tipped in favor of Hayley. The methods were obscene and radical, but Geoff got what was coming to him, and ultimately he killed himself, Hayley didn't.

Wow I can say a lot more about this than I thought, glad this thread got bumped.
User avatar

GiveHimTheKick
Knows all movies
Knows all movies
Posts: 408
Joined: Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Well she's clearly a troubled girl. Obviously very smart, but psychotic. And well, 4 out of 5 doctors agree that she is actually insane, and I'm taking it the 5th one is probably her father. The film is interestingly put together since we never actually get any concrete evidence at all about her. Everything is based on her telling the truth 100%.
In the country dead bodies live in swamps and ditches and shallow graves. A man dumps the body of a girl in a ditch. The body rotts melts into slime. Flowers pop up where the body lies, seeds fly out of the flowers and a bee sucks the flowers and makes honey. Then the family of the girl buys the honey from the store. And the family eats the girl.
User avatar

JerseyDevil65
Must be a Haligonian
Must be a Haligonian
Posts: 669
Joined: May 02, 2009 1:30 am
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm

HeartHer, you do know that Hayley didn't really castrate Jeff, right? :)
Image
User avatar

Dominik
Webmaster
Webmaster
Posts: 1067
Joined: Nov 14, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Baden-Baden
Contact:
Status: Offline

Aug 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I think this sentence should be placed between [ spoiler ] tags :laugh: :bigtongue:
There's nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Post Reply